David Pack

Tubas, euphoniums, mouthpieces, and anything music-related.
Forum rules
This section is for posts that are directly related to performance, performers, or equipment. Social issues are allowed, as long as they are directly related to those categories. If you see a post that you cannot respond to with respect and courtesy, we ask that you do not respond at all.
Ted Cox
Has thanked: 0

David Pack

Post by Ted Cox »

Nine days ago, on October 21st, David Pack, died, having just turned 74. Dave was the tubist for the Phoenix Symphony from 1973 to 2021 - nearly 50 years! Dave was a student of William Bell at Indiana University from 1967 to 1971, when Bell retired. I studied with Dave weekly for four years, from 1975 to 1979. Dave is solely responsible for sending me to Indiana University to study with Harvey Phillips. I owe much of my success and longevity in music to Dave. When Dave won the Phoenix job, he was 23 years old and married. Back then, Phoenix was a part time, nighttime orchestra paying about $4,500 per year. Not long after Dave came into the orchestra, Phoenix went to a full-time orchestra. Dave was a great musician and a great teacher - but he never tried to be "famous" - which is why many of you have probably never heard of him. Dave is survived by three daughters from his first marriage.
My best guess is there may only be a handful of Bell students left in the world. When Bell was asked by Toscanini to join the NBC Symphony, he was the third musician to be selected - after the concertmaster and principal oboe. Imagine that happening today. Personally, I cherish my deep roots back to Bell through Dave and Harvey. Honor your teachers - they give you far more than you may realize.
These users thanked the author Ted Cox for the post (total 10):
bowerybum (Mon Oct 30, 2023 8:32 am) • graybach (Mon Oct 30, 2023 8:35 am) • Mary Ann (Mon Oct 30, 2023 9:02 am) • the elephant (Mon Oct 30, 2023 9:31 am) • MN_TimTuba (Mon Oct 30, 2023 10:37 am) and 5 more users

Jim Williams

Re: David Pack

Post by Jim Williams »

Ted,
I overlapped with Dave in 1970 and maybe 1971. He was very nice to me as a freshman. Sorry to hear of his passing.
Jim
The artist formerly known as Snorlax.
Shires Q41 and Yamaha 321 Euphoniums.
Yamaha 621 Baritone, Conn 50H trombone.
Ted Cox
Has thanked: 0

Re: David Pack

Post by Ted Cox »

Jim,
Forgive me for forgetting your early history at I.U. - and thank you for saying something kind about Dave. I think about all the great players in orchestras who didn't leave us a solo example of their virtuosity. Dave is certainly one of those artists. And you too were a fine example of the "old guard" being kind to the new guys.
t