New plan for a BBb. (purchased a 601 BBb)

Tubas, euphoniums, mouthpieces, and anything music-related.
Forum rules
This section is for posts that are directly related to performance, performers, or equipment. Social issues are allowed, as long as they are directly related to those categories. If you see a post that you cannot respond to with respect and courtesy, we ask that you do not respond at all.
bloke
Mid South Music

Re: New plan for a BBb

Post by bloke »

I'm sure I could make it work, but I'm not there to build it for you. I'm thinking maybe you could too if you took your time and measured really carefully and precision rebuilt each of those two slide assemblies. You wouldn't have one 33 inch rod, because you would have a teeter totter in the middle. :teeth:

The payoff - for all that trouble - would be in the playing.

Dents Be Gone!

Post by Dents Be Gone! »

I agree, guys. This is the way to go.
Last edited by Dents Be Gone! on Wed May 01, 2024 10:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
These users thanked the author Dents Be Gone! for the post:
York-aholic (Fri Nov 10, 2023 6:26 am)
LeMark
Site Admin

Post by LeMark »

bloke wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2023 11:59 pm . You wouldn't have one 33 inch rod, because you would have a teeter totter in the middle. :teeth:

The payoff - for all that trouble - would be in the playing.

The nice thing about working with this model is because it's so open wrap it's very easy to add a tuning slide Rod to, I'm confident I can connect it securely to the valve section and then up by the first valve slide assembly and it will be secure
Yep, I'm Mark
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

The teeter-totter thing would need a pair of holes drilled in it and 3 mm threads on each end, and then you need a flange and a little riser for both the main slide in the first slide with 3 mm female threads in them - for either Minibal links or scrounged Jinbao links. The mount for the teeter-totter would need to be in the best possible place to come down from the center of the first slide and go down to the center of the main slide, and you also might well need a three-dimensional offset. If you decide to just use dubro linkage, I guess you could use 4-40 threads.

I really think the thing that works out the neatest is that you can move the main slide with the first slide - even when you aren't using the first slide.

Allied Supply sells 1/8 in diameter nickel rod in 18-in lengths.
You can run either a 3 mm thread or a 4-40 thread onto that stuff. If you converted your first slide to an inside/outside, this might be just long enough to hook to the bottom of the outside tube on your first slide sliding assembly, and would get this thing out of the way of your hand by doing so...

(I don't think I would try to hook a pair of balanced springs onto the teeter-totter - for centering. Those things almost never work as intended.)

...and then fifth rotor, and you'd be all hot-rodded out.
rodgeman

Post by rodgeman »

Sorry for my late reply. It was very nice meeting you Mark and you certainly filled the parking lot with sound from the tuba. My son commented to me on how good you sounded. I am glad you like the tuba and have given it a good home.

Thanks again,
Rodger :tuba:
These users thanked the author rodgeman for the post (total 2):
LeMark (Fri Nov 10, 2023 10:54 am) • York-aholic (Sat Nov 11, 2023 8:08 am)
Eastman EBB-562 BBb tuba
Dillon G5B/Turner
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

Pictures (even skeletal, as is this one) are so much better than a bunch of rhetoric, yes?

Obviously, your tuba isn't going to be just like this one, and may well require somewhat different routing...

again: Label me a kook or a jeenyus. :facepalm2:
> 1st valve slide ends up with extended tuning range (as rotary 1st valve slides usually aren't particularly long).
> Moving the 1st valve slide can tune any note - whether-or-not the 1st valve lever is depressed.

As previously stated, the two ends of the teeter-totter bar may well (ie. likely) need to be in different geometric planes.

edited

For this (adjustability) I would probably recommend a hex-sided hollow brass tube which is 50/50 right-hand/left-hand threads, and a pair of (obviously, same two thread directions) lock nuts.

You could do it with right-hand threads all the way through, but you would then need to unfasten it at the link end, in order to adjust it.
LeMark
Site Admin

Post by LeMark »

This might be one of those wide slot instruments. I was playing simple slow intervals (think Canon in D) and everything locked right in. Well the F was a little flat

The D was basically in tune, but it easily lipped up to 30 cents sharp.

Now I'm not sure if I'll do anything to it or not. It might be nice to have a slightly shorter main tuning slide that I could bring up when needed
Yep, I'm Mark
LeMark
Site Admin

Re: New plan for a BBb. (purchased a 601 BBb)

Post by LeMark »

Sat down today and took my time with the borescope and aligned all the valves again.

It's strange with this horn because it seem when one edge of the valve is lined up, the opposite edge isn't. I took the tact of making sure the air never hit a wall of an edge, and it seems to have helped. I was feeling more resistance than a 835 tuba should have, but it's better now

Didn't help the tuning, but by next week I should have the MTS shortened by an inch for bring up the notes that are a little flat and I'll have enough throw to make the D in tune
Yep, I'm Mark
arpthark

Post by arpthark »

LeMark wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2023 5:50 pm Sat down today and took my time with the borescope and aligned all the valves again.

It's strange with this horn because it seem when one edge of the valve is lined up, the opposite edge isn't. I took the tact of making sure the air never hit a wall of an edge, and it seems to have helped. I was feeling more resistance than a 835 tuba should have, but it's better now

Didn't help the tuning, but by next week I should have the MTS shortened by an inch for bring up the notes that are a little flat and I'll have enough throw to make the D in tune
Isn't the problem that the rotors are not "scooped out" enough? I know Mark Jones has had that done on horns he's owned. @bisontuba
Blake
LeMark
Site Admin

Post by LeMark »

It really does seem that the shape of the valve doesn't match the interior shape of the valve casings at all
Yep, I'm Mark
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

Quite a long time ago - probably at the place that has sunk into quicksand, I was talking about how it seemed to me that the piggy and kaiser Czech tubas - which were really large bore - just used the 681 rotors without changing the design of the rotors to match the larger bore of those larger bore instruments. I don't recall that my observations/comments went anywhere.

That might explain why - the first time I ever played a 601 B-flat (that a high school in Memphis bought, probably from that place in New Jersey that was importing a lot of those instruments in the 1980s), that - when I tried to play loud low pitches - I got what I've identified several times online as a "death rattle".

You could have tons of fun with a dremel, but you had better buy several dozen of those little grinders.

stirring the pot more by continuing to be real:
Nope. That's not going to change any intonation characteristics, any more than changing out a mouthpipe will.
LeMark
Site Admin

Post by LeMark »

Well my 601 BBb is probably from the 60's, and my 68 is from the late 70's or early 80's. I should measure the rotors and see how they compare

My CC 601 is a late 80's horn, and it's in the hands of a good friend at the moment
Yep, I'm Mark
LeMark
Site Admin

Post by LeMark »

I have a very interesting idea on how to incorporate the meat slicer taken off this horn into a future upgrade. Stay tuned for details!
Attachments
20231115_204004_j5RyJzMs8r.jpeg
20231115_204004_j5RyJzMs8r.jpeg (195.5 KiB) Viewed 1374 times
Yep, I'm Mark
Mary Ann

Post by Mary Ann »

Ha, I am being more and more convinced to stay with Miraphones. We shall see if a 3/4 BBb Mphone graces my living room in the future.
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

There could be a 1 in 77.2 chance that the person who owns the 282 that I played might end up swapping stuff with me, but we haven't even discussed anything - other than them telling me that they would really like to own one of my personal instruments.
These users thanked the author bloke for the post:
Mary Ann (Sat Nov 18, 2023 2:35 pm)
tofu

Post by tofu »

[
Last edited by tofu on Sun Feb 25, 2024 5:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

Whatever they are for, when I sell a tuba with a tall one, I un-solder them, cut them down to the profile of a modern Miraphone keel, file, sand, and buff them, and reinstall them. One time, I showed that part (quite tall) to a person who was going to buy a tuba from me, and they told me to leave it as it was. Obviously, I respected their wishes - particularly since it was easier to simply leave it alone.
LeMark
Site Admin

Post by LeMark »

Shortened the main tuning slide by one inch today, had to work on the large inner slide to get it to work smoothy, and moved the cross bar from the tuning slide to the outer slide side.

I'm in the process of making a whole new cross bar for the crook so I can attach the tuning stick to it
Attachments
20231120_150521_AFGnBqck67.jpeg
20231120_150521_AFGnBqck67.jpeg (162 KiB) Viewed 1203 times
These users thanked the author LeMark for the post:
Tubajug (Mon Nov 20, 2023 7:09 pm)
Yep, I'm Mark
LeMark
Site Admin

Post by LeMark »

Finished the tuning stick. I can bring it in 2 inches for flat notes, and out about an inch for sharp notes. 3 inches total travel, and most notes are in tune with it 2 inches out

Used the meat slicer that was taken off as a wrist rest. One of my better ideas if I do say so. The leverage help me bring the stick to the farthest in position

As for the rest of the horn, it's feeling better and better. The way it feels greatly depends on the room it's in. Unfortunately, the worst room I found is my music studio. I bring it out to the larger room like the den and it sounds fantastic
Attachments
20231127_220207_dD40Gb349J.jpeg
20231127_220207_dD40Gb349J.jpeg (156.35 KiB) Viewed 1127 times
20231127_174037_avXnYAyr7A.jpeg
20231127_174037_avXnYAyr7A.jpeg (189.77 KiB) Viewed 1148 times
These users thanked the author LeMark for the post (total 2):
Kirley (Mon Nov 27, 2023 6:17 pm) • Tubajug (Mon Nov 27, 2023 8:09 pm)
Yep, I'm Mark
arpthark

Post by arpthark »

Cool way to recycle that part!
Blake