Catholic church choir lofts

Tubas, euphoniums, mouthpieces, and anything music-related.
Forum rules
This section is for posts that are directly related to performance, performers, or equipment. Social issues are allowed, as long as they are directly related to those categories. If you see a post that you cannot respond to with respect and courtesy, we ask that you do not respond at all.
LibraryMark

Re: Catholic church choir lofts

Post by LibraryMark »

MikeS wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2023 7:22 am (snip) “A donation of $150 has been made in your name to the church’s missionary outreach fund.”
I would hope that the old adage about "fool me once" applies here.

Dents Be Gone!

Post by Dents Be Gone! »

I agree, guys. This is the way to go.
Last edited by Dents Be Gone! on Wed May 01, 2024 10:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
tofu

Post by tofu »

Last edited by tofu on Sun Feb 25, 2024 6:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

I can't remember what book it was, but back as late as the 80s, several of the name bands were still quasi/fake touring s their books and signature music stands and blazers had been purchased by individuals probably from the widows or children of all the various band leaders of the past.

I also can't remember whether I was playing tuba or bass, but we played in either Greenwood or (??) Greenville, Mississippi, Bella Vista, Arkansas, and one or two other towns. We finished up at the Skyway at the Peabody Hotel in Memphis, and we're told that funds were short, and if anyone could take a little less it would help out. I spoke up immediately and stated that I was not willing to take less and I was ready to be paid cash on the spot the exact amount for which I agreed. I took my cash and walked out, with no concern for anyone's else plight, (oh yeah...) dammit. :gaah:

bloke "not about to be shorted by some schmuck, after riding all over Mississippi and Arkansas in a funky old car with the window down because there was an exhaust leak"
Three Valves

Post by Three Valves »

bloke wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2023 11:51 pm We finished up at the Skyway at the Peabody Hotel in Memphis, and we're told that funds were short, and if anyone could take a little less it would help out. I spoke up immediately and stated that I was not willing to take less and I was ready to be paid cash on the spot the exact amount for which I agreed.

:thumbsup:
These users thanked the author Three Valves for the post:
bloke (Fri Nov 10, 2023 10:30 am)
Thought Criminal
Mack Brass Artiste
TU422L with TU25
1964 Conn 36k with CB Arnold Jacobs
Accent (By B&S) 952R with Bach12
The Fourth Estate is the Fifth Column
Mark

Post by Mark »

MikeS wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2023 7:22 am I played for a service a few months back at a church ...
If I am playing a gig I was told pays, I always find out before accepting the gig how much it pays and when and how payment will be made.
These users thanked the author Mark for the post:
bloke (Fri Nov 10, 2023 6:33 pm)
Mary Ann

Post by Mary Ann »

This is why there is a union -- AZ is a right to work state, but I did most of my gigging in NY. You got a signed contract before you played, and -- never, ever was I stiffed. Here, I haven't played for pay except a very few times way back, right after I moved here and subbed for five concerts in Tucson Symphony (violin.) A few pre-dystonia gigs on horn, again way back. Nevertheless, I stayed in the union here until quite recently just to support those who needed to be in it to get reasonable pay.

I would think that for any gig that "may" be iffy about being paid -- if they are unwilling to sign a contract as to the pay amount, they were planning to stiff you.
Three Valves

Post by Three Valves »

“I thought the beer was free!”

These users thanked the author Three Valves for the post:
bloke (Sat Nov 11, 2023 9:27 am)
Thought Criminal
Mack Brass Artiste
TU422L with TU25
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

The wine and soda crackers (where's the cheese...??) are free, but only tiny little samples (just like in the grocery store).
tofu

Post by tofu »

[
Last edited by tofu on Sun Feb 25, 2024 6:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

Teamsters and AFM both part of AFL-CIO - as is the Postal Union, yes?

Mrs. bloke's father wouldn't join the Postal Workers Union (no extra money to pay dues/heavy doctor bills, couldn't even afford a car, and walked 4-1/2 miles to-and-from work, each day).
Every day, the union steward would make threats to him at work.
One morning - really super-"safe" (upscale Orthodox Jewish area) - around 5 A.M. (when walking to work) three (obviously were) postal workers beat the crap out of him, smashed his coke-bottle eyeglasses, stomped his hearing aids, and sent him to the hospital.
This wasn't in the 1930's, '40's, or 50's...This was in the mid-1960's.

I played a recording session (age 19...mid-1970's) that paid $750. The union guy snatched my check and wouldn't give it to me.
I told my Dad who said, "bloke, I can get that check for you, but I suggest that you go ahead and join." (ie. unless you want to experience :slap: )
Mary Ann

Post by Mary Ann »

NY was not a right to work state. If you wanted to play in Albany Symphony, which I did, you joined the union. And playing ASO was the last thing I did before dumping music as a career and going back to school for my BSEE. The one stellar thing I remember is a Christmas union dinner, they brought up Joe Venutti from NYC to be a wandering violinist. I must have some years mixed up somewhere because Wikipedia says he died in 1978, and that doesn't fit with when I remember being in the union. Maybe I was in the union for a few years before ASO.

Here in AZ, you don't have to join but they do try to help the musicians. yes I know it is AFLCIO, but I have NOT heard of such shenanigans here because you don't have to join it. That type of bullying sounds pretty East Coast to me.

I got one call in Albany to play a show that was coming to town, because I was the only person registered to play all three: violin, guitar, and mandolin. I didn't take that job and never got called for anything again, and frankly didn't care. I was sure I was not good enough on guitar to do it. (pretty sure they were not looking for a mediocre classical guitarist, but more like someone who was a chordist. I was not any more willing back then to make a fool of myself than I am now. I don't read chord charts.)
Three Valves

Post by Three Valves »

tofu wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 5:12 pm But I’ll never forget how the crappy union tried to shut down a bunch of hustling HS kids. %$@! the union.

:laugh:
Thought Criminal
Mack Brass Artiste
TU422L with TU25