TAR on top of the valves (as in, the letters T-A-R)

Tubas, euphoniums, mouthpieces, and anything music-related.
Forum rules
This section is for posts that are directly related to performance, performers, or equipment. Social issues are allowed, as long as they are directly related to those categories. If you see a post that you cannot respond to with respect and courtesy, we ask that you do not respond at all.
bort2.0

TAR on top of the valves (as in, the letters T-A-R)

Post by bort2.0 »

Never seen this before, curious what it might be:

* Letters TAR on top of all 3 valves. Not part of the serial number either. Haven't picked over the rest of the horn to see if TAR appears elsewhere. Initials of the person who made the valves?
* Quite a big chunk of brass (and a fancy little chunk of brass) under the felts. Like a pre-PVAK but hey let's use cork and felts anyway.
* Valves look great for being ~60 years old

arpthark

Re: TAR on top of the valves (as in, the letters T-A-R)

Post by arpthark »

What tuba do they belong to?
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

If that's a Martin tuba, I don't know what the letters are for, but using their own trumpet valve stems - except elongated for a tuba valve stroke length- is what they did at the factory.

They didn't make all their tuba valves that way, but I've seen them like that on several that I've serviced or repaired... particularly the sousaphones.
bort2.0

Post by bort2.0 »

arpthark wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 9:03 pm What tuba do they belong to?
Top action Martin Mammoth BBb
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

T op
A ction
R ecording

??
bort2.0

Post by bort2.0 »

Gotta be, thanks! :thumbsup:

I kept thinking Top Action... ugh, what is the R for?! :facepalm2: :laugh:

It's not mine, but it's been boarding in the garage loft for a little while. In fact, it went straight from my car to the garage... I figured I should pull it down and give it a once-over.

I've only got the body on the workbench right now. For as HUGE as the bows are, and as compact as the body is... The recording bell is massive, and makes it comically difficult to play it in a room with a normal height ceiling. So, the bell is still in the garage loft for now.

If I owned it, I'd try real hard to come up with some kind of upright bell solution. Not an easy problem to solve, but would be a lot more useful that way. But alas, just holding it for a friend for a little while, grateful for the opportunity to check it out.

Enormo-fun! :tuba:
York-aholic

Post by York-aholic »

Yep, I’ve seen front action martins marked as SA - side action.
These users thanked the author York-aholic for the post:
bort2.0 (Sun Nov 12, 2023 9:32 am)
Some old Yorks, Martins, and perhaps a King rotary valved CC
sweaty

Post by sweaty »

If you're looking for an upright bell, consider a Wessex XL bell. I have their recording bell for my upright bell Mammoth and it is a perfect fit.
These users thanked the author sweaty for the post:
bort2.0 (Sun Nov 12, 2023 12:42 pm)
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

... with my trusty 83 IQ, sometimes I can guess things right.
bort2.0

Post by bort2.0 »

bloke wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2023 10:43 am ... with my trusty 83 IQ, sometimes I can guess things right.
My preferred phrase for that, and certainly not for you, is room temperature IQ
These users thanked the author bort2.0 for the post:
bloke (Sun Nov 12, 2023 7:37 pm)
arpthark

Post by arpthark »

Top Action Rotary.

They just put pistons in on accident. Martin QC shoulda caught it!
These users thanked the author arpthark for the post (total 2):
Inkin (Mon Nov 13, 2023 9:00 am) • bloke (Mon Nov 13, 2023 10:39 am)
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

Tubas Are Ridiculous.
tokuno

Post by tokuno »

bloke wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2023 10:43 am ... with my trusty 83 IQ, sometimes I can guess things right.
This might amuse you:
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

' seen that, and - even with my 83 IQ - I predicted that the non-presumptuous person would not be at the bottom. Further, I believe it's transparently obvious who is the idiot of the bunch. Seemingly contradicting what I just said, I believe most of us also understand that IQ tests are - at least partially - bullshitty. I've been told that I've rated high on some of those, and my reaction - inside of myself - has always been that those tests are a bunch of $h!t and - to a large percentage - are constructs. I judge myself to probably be able to serve as a pretty good lackey for a truly smart person (probably being able to understand some of their brilliant thought patterns and conclusions once explained to me) but - likely - a horrible lackey for an idiot who over estimates their own cognitive ability. Finally, some make the mistake of serendipitous success or financial gain as a synonym for intelligence. I believe most of us understand that they are erroneous in the self-evaluations. Candidly, both of my siblings - who are both older than me - believe me to be more so-called intelligent than either of them, but I'm at least intelligent enough to realize (based on what I've seen regarding their capabilities) that they are both wrong.

A young relative of mine is absolutely brilliant. Their siblings are smart, but this particular one is brilliant. Using good judgment, their parents aren't revealing this evaluation to them, but are providing the appropriate materials and instruction to them.

I rate myself as ignorant and stupid enough to not be able to understand quite a few things, but skeptical enough not to be roped in by others who believe they are geometrically smarter than they actually are. As an example, I don't claim to know anything about mouthpieces, but only claim that I've had access to things that have allowed me to fool around with mouthpieces to find out which ones work for me and to suspect that some of those same things might work for a lot of other people. There was a discussion about mouthpipe tubes - and their potential magic - in another thread. Again I'm a skeptic, and just because someone has a bully pulpit or has attracted a lot of attention, I don't assume them to know everything, or even all that much. I believe in this industry we are - overwhelmingly trial and error, and that making generalizations or conclusions should be done in such a way as one might walk on eggs.

One shouldn't mistake the lengths nor quantity of my posts as me judging myself to be brilliant or even smart. I just fix sousaphones (ie. nor false modesty) and $h!t every morning. Even when I posted examples of some of my work, it's because I'm tickled that I was able to do it - much more than it is any sort of boast. I've never watched any other repair people work, but I strongly suspect that some of them are quite a bit smarter than I am, and it's not just because they can do more things than I can do. They're just plain smarter.
These users thanked the author bloke for the post:
sweaty (Mon Nov 13, 2023 12:57 pm)
sweaty

Post by sweaty »

"I have seen something else under the sun- the race is not to the swift, or the battle to the strong, nor does food come to the wise, or wealth to the brilliant, or favor to the learned; but time and chance happen to them all."

Ecclesiastes 9:11
Last edited by sweaty on Wed Mar 06, 2024 2:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
These users thanked the author sweaty for the post:
MN_TimTuba (Mon Nov 13, 2023 5:52 pm)
Dents Be Gone!

Post by Dents Be Gone! »

I agree, guys. This is the way to go.
Last edited by Dents Be Gone! on Wed May 01, 2024 10:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
These users thanked the author Dents Be Gone! for the post:
sweaty (Mon Nov 13, 2023 12:56 pm)
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

My University offered three summer semesters. These were a crazy intense two week called pre summer, and two damned intensive summer semesters.

Again I'm not brilliant, but I'm smart enough to realize that spending a whole bunch of time in an educational institution is a devastating waste of time, so even before my first freshman fall semester I enrolled in all three of those summer semesters and knocked out some English and American history courses. I also signed up for tennis and racquetball classes that were scheduled right after those academic classes. I already played those sports - but hadn't had any formal instruction, and those classes helped me.

For the remainder of those summers (in addition to hitting required Baccalaureate crap classes in all three of those intensive summer semesters) I either went off to Interlochen, played tuba in a jazz band in a theme park, or eventually ended up with enough gigs and recording sessions and crap like that to keep myself busy enough and enough money coming in. I also even found time for working on difficult tuba passages and solo works, as I was playing huge catch up in college with the tuba, as I had not ever really spent much serious time with it certainly not compared to the guitar.

Taking care of the baccalaureate degree required crap - mostly in the summers - allowed me to sign up for several ensembles each semester, and spend more time with individual practice. I usually ended up with 21 to 23 credits per regular fall and spring semesters, and I think I was given two grades of B during the entire time I was there. I'm not boasting here either, because it was not considered a very highly academic university, I will say that (today) I would suspect that the academic standards are considerably lower than then, however. One thing that was good was that the tuition per semester was probably only about 150 bucks, even though I never paid it in the fall and spring, but had to pony up for those individual classes in the summers. Another good thing was that the textbook rip-off fascistic gimmick wasn't as well established as it is today, and I was always able to find used textbooks for four or five bucks either in the on-campus co-op or off campus locations. My Dad found out that I was paying for myself (in the summers) and told me that he expected to pay for my college, but that's the only check he ever gave me for any tuition was that one time... LOL Having up grown 13 years behind my brother, I learned - from watching my brother - that I should never ask my Dad to buy me any $h!t at all, and to just figure out how to get it for myself. (My dad actually sent my brother to a private college, and even sent my sister to the Sorbonne in Paris.) As early as 10th grade I learned to buy all of my own clothes, because otherwise my mother would buy them and those that she chose (as she had been a commercial artist, and studied in Iowa with Grant Wood - back in the 1930's) would probably encourage people at my high school to question my sexual proclivities and challenge me to fights. :laugh: .