Allergies in repair

Projects, repair topics, and Frankentubas
shawnv
Has thanked: 0

Allergies in repair

Post by shawnv »

Hello all,

I wanted to ask if anyone has had any allergies or rashes or anything like that while working in the repair shop? How did you deal with it?

After spending the past few years working largely on woodwind instruments I was moved to working on brass instruments about two months ago. I've been spending a lot more time in the buffing room and I've been working with power brass more when doing cleanings. I think all this has lead to me having a pretty bad dermatitis flare up over the past couple weeks. I would chalk it up to the change in seasons, but it's been pretty mild so far and I've been through some rough winters without it ever getting this bad. I spent a few days away from the shop and things seemed to clear up. I went back this week and it's steadily returning. With repair being my livelihood and all I'm worried that I might actually be allergic to my job. I appreciate any thoughts you all share

Dents Be Gone!

Post by Dents Be Gone! »

I agree, guys. This is the way to go.
Last edited by Dents Be Gone! on Wed May 01, 2024 10:29 am, edited 2 times in total.
shawnv

Re: Allergies in repair

Post by shawnv »

It started on my hands and arms which is normal for me going into fall and winter but now it's on my face as well which has never happened before. And it's never been this bad. We have gloves at the shop but they're pretty loose fitting. I'll be sure to find a size that's more snug and I hadn't considered sleeve length before. I've avoided long sleeves for the reason you mentioned but I'll give it a try. Thanks for the input!
Dents Be Gone!

Post by Dents Be Gone! »

Last edited by Dents Be Gone! on Wed May 01, 2024 10:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
shawnv

Post by shawnv »

That's a good idea I'll have to look next time I'm at Costco. I was also thinking I might try a face shield to try and bock and compound that flies off the wheel but it might not be as effective for the more powdery buffs. I'll try showering at night as well. A friend who's an auto mechanic recommended that.
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

With brass repair - including soldering, cleaning, and refinishing, there are all sorts of irritants with which one must take precaution. I don't know anything about the human body or medicine, but I'm wondering if you are just allowing yourself to become irritated by things that naturally irritate, rather than having any sort of allergies. (??)

... gloves, respirators, masks, goggles, long sleeves, exhaust fans, taking showers right after the end of the work day...
Dents Be Gone!

Post by Dents Be Gone! »