Method Book Recommendations

Tubas, euphoniums, mouthpieces, and anything music-related.
Forum rules
This section is for posts that are directly related to performance, performers, or equipment. Social issues are allowed, as long as they are directly related to those categories. If you see a post that you cannot respond to with respect and courtesy, we ask that you do not respond at all.
BlueRidgeTeacher
Been thanked: 0

Method Book Recommendations

Post by BlueRidgeTeacher »

I am looking for an Eb tuba method book for my 8 yo son. After seeing me play tuba all his life he wants to start playing. I have a 3v Besson "New Standard" that he'll start with.

I'm looking for a beginner book to get him reading tuba music. I know of the band method books like Essential Elements, Standards of Excellence, etc. but are there any out there better for a kid learning on his own? I expect he'll advance on his own at times. He's been taking piano for two years and is excelling.

Thanks for any input!

Will

matt g

Re: Method Book Recommendations

Post by matt g »

The Rubank stuff is pretty decent and has Eb fingering charts along with split parts.
These users thanked the author matt g for the post:
bloke (Sun Nov 26, 2023 9:27 pm)
Dillon/Walters CC (sold)
Meinl-Weston 2165 (sold)
DonO.

Post by DonO. »

+1 for Rubank! :tuba: :thumbsup:
King 2341 “new style”
Kanstul 902-3B
Conn Helleberg Standard 120- for the King.
Conn Helleberg 7B- for the Kanstul.
Looking for: minty Amati or Cerveny 681, Kanstul 902-4B
Grumpikins

Post by Grumpikins »

I downloaded an old book off IMSLP. Only looked at it a little bit, but it looks like a teach yourself book. I like that it has a lot of tunes to play. Cant beat the price.

Also. Rubank is great too. I enjoy them just to keep in shape and switching key horns.Image

Sent from my SM-S367VL using Tapatalk

Meinl Weston 2145 CC
King Symphonic BBb circa 1936
Hopefully a pre WWII king Eb soon.... :teeth:
sweaty

Post by sweaty »

Essential Elements goes way too fast for the first 3 pages. I used Standard of Excellence when I was a band director. Neither are suitable for Eb tuba.
2nd tenor

Post by 2nd tenor »

BlueRidgeTeacher wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2023 1:43 pm I am looking for an Eb tuba method book for my 8 yo son. After seeing me play tuba all his life he wants to start playing. I have a 3v Besson "New Standard" that he'll start with.

I'm looking for a beginner book to get him reading tuba music. I know of the band method books like Essential Elements, Standards of Excellence, etc. but are there any out there better for a kid learning on his own? I expect he'll advance on his own at times. He's been taking piano for two years and is excelling.

Thanks for any input!

Will
Sometimes oldest is best; try Tune a Day by Herfurth. Second hand copies of the Tuba book (does Eb and BBb) are available and it seems like a pdf is too (Google tuba tune a day herfurth).