Miraclone 186 tuning slide too short

Projects, repair topics, and Frankentubas
LibraryMark

Miraclone 186 tuning slide too short

Post by LibraryMark »

Folks - I have a Mack Brass 410 that, while I like it a lot, I am always on the sharp side with it, and to me the tuning slide is just too short. That and the first valve slide seems really short too. I don't play this horn often because of this, but as I get older I am looking at lighter options than my main horn, a VMI 3302. While I really love the VMI, it's a heavy sucker.

What all is involved in making the tuning slide longer? And - anyone care to ballpark how much this might run?

Has anyone else encountered this on these clones?

bloke
Mid South Music

Re: Miraclone 186 tuning slide too short

Post by bloke »

An in-the-door slide-lengthening might cost $150 - $175, these days.
Pre-2021, I probably would have charged less.
The job would include longer ferrules and bore-consistency inserts.

If I didn't happen to have the correct two sizes of tubing in my junk, I would also charge cost for Miraphone to send me the four (pre-cut - why not?) pieces of tubing, but might charge less for my labor.
These users thanked the author bloke for the post:
LibraryMark (Thu Nov 30, 2023 7:55 am)
Dents Be Gone!

Post by Dents Be Gone! »

I agree, guys. This is the way to go.
Last edited by Dents Be Gone! on Wed May 01, 2024 10:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

This isn't a contradiction, but it's from experience...

When people have ordered longer or shorter slides for their Miraphone tubas, they almost always end up calling some repair person, because they often don't slide in very nicely. It's just that they don't seem to make them down to the last thousandth of an inch - as far as fit - and they are not completely consistent. If there were a longer or shorter Jinbao 186 copy slide, I would suspect that the chance of the same thing occurring would be high.

I didn't like the length of my Miraphone 98 main tuning slide, and - instead of asking Miraphone for one that's shorter, I knew that just taking apart the one I had and shortening it myself was the only way to go, because something they sent would probably have to be taken apart and put back together anyway - in order to make it slide nicely on my tuba.

(Actually, my model 98 tuba is fairly complex in the way that the main slide is built, and I actually had to actually take apart a couple of things on the instrument itself in addition to taking the slide apart and putting it back together, but that's another story - boringly documented in an old repair thread.)
>> A Miraphone 186 or a copy is not complex like that.
Dents Be Gone!

Post by Dents Be Gone! »

I agree, guys. This is the way to go.
Last edited by Dents Be Gone! on Wed May 01, 2024 10:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
These users thanked the author Dents Be Gone! for the post:
LibraryMark (Thu Nov 30, 2023 7:57 am)
LibraryMark

Post by LibraryMark »

Dents Be Gone! wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 9:55 am Have you contacted the Mack Brass to see if they might have longer tuning slides on hand?

Seems like I remember hearing that he stocks some parts.

(I know that Miraphone offers these for their instruments…)
I have not had a whole lot of luck getting Mack Brass to respond to requests for parts.
These users thanked the author LibraryMark for the post:
Dents Be Gone! (Thu Nov 30, 2023 8:06 am)
arpthark

Post by arpthark »

LibraryMark wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 7:55 am
Dents Be Gone! wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 9:55 am Have you contacted the Mack Brass to see if they might have longer tuning slides on hand?

Seems like I remember hearing that he stocks some parts.

(I know that Miraphone offers these for their instruments…)
I have not had a whole lot of luck getting Mack Brass to respond to requests for parts.
Have you tried calling? Tom is hard to reach via email but I've talked to him over the phone a handful of times.
These users thanked the author arpthark for the post:
LibraryMark (Thu Nov 30, 2023 8:14 am)
Blake
LibraryMark

Post by LibraryMark »

bloke wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 9:26 am An in-the-door slide-lengthening might cost $150 - $175, these days.
Thanks for the info - that's less than I though it would be. Sadly, Bloke - You are too far away.
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

There are ways to nearly ensure that a slide will still slide in to an instrument smoothly if the slide is sent off by itself to be altered remotely, but the person who sends it needs to send some really specific and accurate information

Something else is that outside slide pairs (if an inside slide assembly is altered remotely) need to be very nicely parallel, and this isn't always the case with $9000 tubas and certainly is not always case with $2,000 tubas.
Stryk

Post by Stryk »

LibraryMark wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 8:35 am Folks - I have a Mack Brass 410 that, while I like it a lot, I am always on the sharp side with it, and to me the tuning slide is just too short. That and the first valve slide seems really short too. I don't play this horn often because of this, but as I get older I am looking at lighter options than my main horn, a VMI 3302. While I really love the VMI, it's a heavy sucker.

What all is involved in making the tuning slide longer? And - anyone care to ballpark how much this might run?

Has anyone else encountered this on these clones?
@Dan Schultz lengthened mine - I had the same issue on my non-Mac, same horn, tuba. Contact him and ask.
Terry Stryker
Mirafone 186C, 186BBb, 184C, 186C clone
Gebr. Alexander New 163C, Vintage 163C, Vintage 163BBb
Amati 481C
Lyon & Healy 6/4
Kane Stealth tuba
A plethora of others....
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

Do you have a local guy who has the ability to disassemble the the five components of your main tuning slide, put it back together with some substitute components, shine it up, and shoot some rattle can lacquer on it?
Three Valves

Post by Three Valves »

Q
A
arpthark wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 7:56 am

Have you tried calling? Tom is hard to reach via email but I've talked to him over the phone a handful of times.
I needed one several years ago.

I called.

He sent.

It fit.

:tuba:
These users thanked the author Three Valves for the post:
Dents Be Gone! (Fri Dec 01, 2023 3:34 am)
Thought Criminal
Mack Brass Artiste
TU422L with TU25
1964 Conn 36k with CB Arnold Jacobs
Accent (By B&S) 952R with Bach12
The Fourth Estate is the Fifth Column
LibraryMark

Post by LibraryMark »

Three Valves wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 3:22 pm Q
A
arpthark wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 7:56 am

I needed one several years ago.

I called.

He sent.

It fit.

:tuba:
You requested a longer tuning slide?
LibraryMark

Post by LibraryMark »

bloke wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 2:15 pm Do you have a local guy who has the ability to disassemble the the five components of your main tuning slide, put it back together with some substitute components, shine it up, and shoot some rattle can lacquer on it?
When I do this I will probably use Mark Metzler in Elkhart IN.
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

LibraryMark wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 3:25 pm
bloke wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 2:15 pm Do you have a local guy who has the ability to disassemble the the five components of your main tuning slide, put it back together with some substitute components, shine it up, and shoot some rattle can lacquer on it?
I don't know him personally, but I've heard of him. And if I've heard of him, I'm sure that he's good. I'm also confident that he can get those long ferrules and bore spacers from Miraphone.
LibraryMark (Thu Nov 30, 2023 3:30 pm)
LibraryMark

Post by LibraryMark »

bloke wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 3:28 pm
LibraryMark wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 3:25 pm
I don't know him personally, but I've heard of him. And if I've heard of him, I'm sure that he's good. I'm also confident that he can get those long ferrules and bore spacers from Miraphone.
A lot of my tuba friends up here tell me he's the only one they trust with their horns. I had him fix the valves on an JP377 (one that you worked on, Bloke) to make the valve to keep from sticking and he did a wonderful job.
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

That's interesting, because I mostly drop-ship those tubas and don't recall working on any of them, other than maybe one or two early ones that had fourth valve circuits that were too long - a problem that they fixed at the factory, not long after... but there are lots of things that I don't remember these days.
LibraryMark (Thu Nov 30, 2023 3:41 pm)
LibraryMark

Post by LibraryMark »

bloke wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 3:40 pm That's interesting, because I mostly drop-ship those tubas and don't recall working on any of them, other than maybe one or two early ones that had fourth valve circuits that were too long - a problem that they fixed at the factory, not long after... but there are lots of things that I don't remember these days.
And as I remember, that is what you did to it. It does not have a name or serial on it but it's a JP377. I bought it off a tuba player who was at Fort Campbell. I used that horn in a brass band. It's a nice instrument. The Eb gentleman who I sat next to in brass band picked it up by accident and played several tunes before he realized that it was not his Besson. Left that band and now the only time I ever play the horn is to play the piccolo part to Stars and Stripes Forever in the local summer band.
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

That one was lacquered.

I also did a silver one...pain in the butt (cosmetics)
Three Valves

Post by Three Valves »

LibraryMark wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 3:24 pm
You requested a longer tuning slide?
Yes.

I had the B210 variety.
Thought Criminal
Mack Brass Artiste
TU422L with TU25
1964 Conn 36k with CB Arnold Jacobs
Accent (By B&S) 952R with Bach12