Altieri

Tubas, euphoniums, mouthpieces, and anything music-related.
Forum rules
This section is for posts that are directly related to performance, performers, or equipment. Social issues are allowed, as long as they are directly related to those categories. If you see a post that you cannot respond to with respect and courtesy, we ask that you do not respond at all.
Mary Ann

Altieri

Post by Mary Ann »

I'm not sure the Hagen will fit in my existing Altieri bag that fits both my Ebs. It isn't taller but I think it is fatter, and it's a fairly snug fit on the Star. So I went to the Altieri web site to find they are temporarily shut down and re-doing things. Cannot order a custom bag. I don't know yet if I need one, but had not heard about this development.

bloke
Mid South Music

Re: Altieri

Post by bloke »

What is the bell diameter length, and width across the top portion of the bottom bow?
Mary Ann

Post by Mary Ann »

It may be here by next Friday.

Detailed Information
Product Name BBb tuba
Model-number model 494 Hagen
Tuning B♭
Intonation 443 Hz
Model 494
Number of valves 4 valves
Size 3/4
Material in body yellow brass
Finish lacquered
Bell diameter 430 mm (16,9 inch)
Material valve section nickel silver trimmings
Lever system spiral spring system
Rod Miraphone minibal rod
Valve system rotary valves
Bore of valve section 18,8 mm (0,740 inch)
Lyre holder with lyre holder
Leadpipe material Nickel silver
Strap ring with strap ring
Total height mm/inch 920 mm / 36,22 inch
Total weight instrument 9,0 kg / 19,8 lb
Total weight in kg and lb 9,0 kg / 19,8 lb
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

It wouldn't be a super snug fit, but super snug fits require jiggling around with and coaxing zippers.

One of those fairly recently new nicer model Protec bags might do you pretty well.
Mary Ann

Post by Mary Ann »

The Star: which fits just fine; the one inch larger bell on the Hagen is ok because I have more than three inches extra at the top of the bag. It will be its girth that will be the determining factor. As an aside, I think with my having to have the tuning slide on everything brass quite far in, the 443 Hz may be a benefit. (double reeds play in tune just fine.)

For me, the problem with the Altieri bags is the string closure because the only way I can get the bag off is to set it on the bell and lift the bag off, which has to be done extremely carefully. The strings' ends tend to get caught under the bell and probably that is what caused me to tip it over at that outdoor gig. Since I can't hold the tuba while I'm taking the bag off, anything awry creates mayhem.

Detailed Information
Product Name Eb Tuba
Bell diameter 400 mm (15,748 inch)
Total weight instrument 8,70 kg / 19,18 lb
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

An acquaintance of mine put I nice circular crease in a bell flare with one of those drawstrings.

When I've bought tubas (to flip or to keep) that came with those bags, I always made sure that those bags disappeared from here.

I consider them (card game analogy) to be "the Old Maid of Tuba Bags".
Mary Ann

Post by Mary Ann »

If they would put the straps on other bags where they were useful for someone of my height, I would be much more inclined to use them. However, in terms of getting the tuba out of a Miraphone bag, it was even worse. Because of the "flip lid" I had to also get out of the way to pull the bag off of the tuba. So I sent that one off with the 184 (which is what it came with.)
tofu

Post by tofu »

Last edited by tofu on Sun Feb 25, 2024 5:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

@Mary Ann

https://www.dillonmusic.com/smaller-tub ... ies-black/

It looks like you can buy the thing from Dillon (via Walmart) and get free shipping, but I'd let Dillon get all the money, were it me.
Dents Be Gone!

Post by Dents Be Gone! »

I agree, guys. This is the way to go.
Last edited by Dents Be Gone! on Wed May 01, 2024 11:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
dsfinley

Post by dsfinley »

They’ve been redesigning those bags for years now. I wouldn’t hold out hope that they’re coming back. They were subpar products for the price in my opinion anyway.
These users thanked the author dsfinley for the post:
bloke (Sun Dec 10, 2023 10:31 am)
Mary Ann

Post by Mary Ann »

I agree that they are less robust than most others, but when ALL the others have the backpack straps way too high for you, causing the tuba to hit you in the back of the knees, you get what you can.
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

I never used those straps. I just never liked going through the ordeal of getting the thing on my back and back off of it. I tend to almost always be less than a hundred feet from the stage door or the venue door. I've used those straps when I've been coaxed into playing for free and it's a quarter mile or third mile hike from the park on the grass place. The California style bags upper strap attachment locations are always high enough to avoid the tuba slapping me in the knees. You might say that it's because I'm tall, but you might consider that I also tend to play some longer tubas.
Mary Ann

Post by Mary Ann »

bloke wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2023 10:57 pm @Mary Ann

https://www.dillonmusic.com/smaller-tub ... ies-black/

It looks like you can buy the thing from Dillon (via Walmart) and get free shipping, but I'd let Dillon get all the money, were it me.
@bloke I already have one of those. The backpack straps are in the wrong place, impossible to use for someone my height.
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

' time to go visit a shoe shop or luggage repair shop, isn't it?

I've noticed that ProTec's cheaper bags have that problem, but I've never checked out these nicer bags. Maybe they have the same problem.

When I buy used tubas for myself or for resale - and they come with Altieri bags or ProTec bags, I make both of those makes of bags disappear quickly :eyes: . There's one Protec bag that I do purposely buy, and that's the giant size cheaper-grade one, because it's possible to stuff a recording bell King or even Reynolds tuba in one of those and - if I work for a few seconds -I can actually zip it up. I buy them used, because people buy them because they're cheap (for their six quarter tubas), don't like them, and then sell them off.
kingrob76

Post by kingrob76 »

I reached out to JL Smith a while ago and asked them when they might be returning to making bags for tubas. The answer was something akin to "we're not going to make them" but they didn't want to say that JUST IN CASE. There are a lot of bags out there and I'm a big fan of the Miraphone bags in the "bargain" space. My Superfine was maybe the best built and designed bag I've ever owned, but, Tom's not making them anymore.

Cronkhite bags from Torpedo seem to be made from fewer patterns and more generically sized. My Getzen bag (newly arrived) is about 2 inches too long, but, given it's leather I don't mind the extra room. My Gotz bag is the best padded bag I've ever owned (with their "triple" padding) and is probably what I would do if I wanted a Cordura bag. They also offer a wood insert for the bag top to add some structure / bell protection.
Rob. Just Rob.
Fivevalves
Has thanked: 0

Post by Fivevalves »

A plus one for the Miraphone bags. Well padded and pretty robust as gig bags go… you need to do a bit of research to get the right sized bag if it’s for a non Miraphone horn though
Willson 3400 EEb
Meinl Weston Spezial 2040/5 "Mr Tuba"
Wessex Dolce Euphonium
More mouthpieces than I care to count....
bone-a-phone

Post by bone-a-phone »

I have an Altieri bass bone bag, and find it too thin for protection. The slide pocket is reinforced with thick solid foam, but the bell is encased in thin nylon and not enough padding. Plus it has a HUGE pocket right next to the bell (for big stuff that dents the bell) and the shoulder strap is too narrow. Only consolation is that it was relatively cheap. I bought an original Reunion Blues bag 40 years prior for the same price that is still hanging together, useful, and more protective.
Mary Ann

Post by Mary Ann »

I agree about the lack of padding, and the tuba is too heavy for me to use a shoulder strap or the suitcase handle. I either have to have backpack straps that "fit" me or I have to use a wagon or hand truck. I do not have problems with denting. The thing fell over on dirt and gravel on Thanksgiving and did not dent, which amazed me. I don't know what you have to do to dent a tuba; drop it down a flight of stairs? My 183 has HUGE dents in the bell branch. I just can't imagine how they got there -- someone doing it on purpose?
Mary Ann

Post by Mary Ann »

Mary Ann wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2023 10:11 am It may be here by next Friday.
Out for delivery today.

TE quartet practice is tonight -- given that UPS ALWAYS says it is going to deliver between 3 and 6, and the truck ALWAYS stops for dinner for an hour, it will likely get here during the rehearsal, and then we will all very likely will come to a screeching halt to unbox it. I don't plan on needing to return it, but you never know. This model does have a good reputation so far. The included mouthpiece is going to be too big for my face. (TU 19 IIRC)