Weird water collecting

Tubas, euphoniums, mouthpieces, and anything music-related.
Forum rules
This section is for posts that are directly related to performance, performers, or equipment. Social issues are allowed, as long as they are directly related to those categories. If you see a post that you cannot respond to with respect and courtesy, we ask that you do not respond at all.
DonO.

Weird water collecting

Post by DonO. »

I was at one of our local TubaChristmas events today and I noticed a weird problem with my little 3/4 Kanstul, which I bought specifically for things like this. After playing for a while I heard the dreaded gurgling and the playing got wonky. I figured out water was collecting either in or around the 2nd valve area. So no amount of playing with the two water keys (MTS and 3rd valve slide) made any difference. We were pack ed on stage like sardines in a can. So I couldn’t spin the horn. I finally had to pull the second valve slide and turn it upside down, at which time water came pouring out in copious amounts. The second valve slide is in a difficult place, in between the much longer 1st and 3rd slides and in a tight place. Messing with it caused me to miss half of one of the songs. Not that anyone noticed! Any ideas on how to deal with this issue would be appreciated.

King 2341 “new style”
Kanstul 902-3B
Conn Helleberg Standard 120- for the King.
Conn Helleberg 7B- for the Kanstul.
Looking for: minty Amati or Cerveny 681, Kanstul 902-4B
bloke
Mid South Music

Re: Weird water collecting

Post by bloke »

Front-action piston upper #1 and #2 slides/loops typically do not drain back into the main bugle, but (sadly) drain into those pistons' "circuit-feed" ports - rather than into the "on to the bugle" ports.
I put water keys on those upper bows, tilt the instrument to my left, open those water keys, and drain them.
Additionally, I use traditional lever-style water keys, to make certain that the water will actually drain, and drain quickly.
Since TubaChristmas (particularly, if outdoors) is in December, we (not the *"royal we", but y'all) should expect more and more-places-of water collection.

caveat:
Since Kanstul valve blocks are often repurposed top-action valve blocks, I may (??) be offering incorrect information, here.

--------------------------------------------------------
*I won't be going, because they decided to do it here: (Not only that, but parking is in a dark parking garage, with the free parking in the darkest most remote parts of the garage.)
https://www.actionnews5.com/story/38124 ... concourse/
Last edited by bloke on Sat Dec 09, 2023 3:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.
These users thanked the author bloke for the post:
DonO. (Sun Dec 10, 2023 5:30 pm)
arpthark

Post by arpthark »

Could you get your repairman to install a water key on that slide?
These users thanked the author arpthark for the post:
DonO.

Post by DonO. »

arpthark wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2023 3:12 pm Could you get your repairman to install a water key on that slide?
If you search for “Kanstul 904-3B” online, you can still see a picture of one. The first second and third valve slides all face up (a secondary 3rd valve slide and MTS face down) and the short 2nd slide is sandwiched between the much longer 1 and 3 in a hard to access spot. So any water key would be as difficult to access as the slide is. And I’m not sure exactly where a traditional water key could be located on that slide with the pull ring soldered right on the top center.
King 2341 “new style”
Kanstul 902-3B
Grumpikins

Post by Grumpikins »

Try turning the horn on its side with the mp where you can blow. Press the valve and blow hard. Hopefully in this position you can push the water through to where it can be emptied. That's my only thought to remedy without fully rotating or modifying the horn.

Sent from my SM-S367VL using Tapatalk

These users thanked the author Grumpikins for the post:
Meinl Weston 2145 CC
King Symphonic BBb circa 1936
Hopefully a pre WWII king Eb soon.... :teeth:
arpthark

Post by arpthark »

Is there room on the 2nd valve elbow?

Not finding any good pics of that angle online, but if this is accurate:

Then the elbow of the second slide (represented by the red line) could fit a water key approx. where the red arrow is pointing. Or would that be too hard to reach?

I put water keys on the 3rd and 4th valve slide elbows of my Eastman for a similar problem. I found I don't even really need the 4th valve one, but it does help.
These users thanked the author arpthark for the post:
DonO. (Sun Dec 10, 2023 5:31 pm)
DonO.

Post by DonO. »

arpthark wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2023 11:48 am Is there room on the 2nd valve elbow?

Then the elbow of the second slide (represented by the red line) could fit a water key approx. where the red arrow is pointing. Or would that be too hard to reach?

I put water keys on the 3rd and 4th valve slide elbows of my Eastman for a similar problem. I found I don't even really need the 4th valve one, but it does help.
Yes that is a fairly accurate representation of the horn. The braces in the picture looks little different from mine, but the valve cluster and slide locations are accurate. I will take a look and see how much clearance there is on that elbow. At this point I might say “maybe…we’ll see”. Thanks for the suggestion!
King 2341 “new style”
Kanstul 902-3B
Dents Be Gone!

Post by Dents Be Gone! »

I agree, guys. This is the way to go.
Last edited by Dents Be Gone! on Wed May 01, 2024 11:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
These users thanked the author Dents Be Gone! for the post:
DonO. (Mon Dec 11, 2023 8:09 am)
DonO.

Post by DonO. »

DonO. wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2023 5:37 pm
arpthark wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2023 11:48 am Is there room on the 2nd valve elbow?

Yes that is a fairly accurate representation of the horn. The braces in the picture looks little different from mine, but the valve cluster and slide locations are accurate. I will take a look and see how much clearance there is on that elbow. At this point I might say “maybe…we’ll see”. Thanks for the suggestion!
Would the water key be installed on the top or bottom elbow? I can’t tell from the picture. Or does it make a difference? It looks like the bottom elbow has more room.
King 2341 “new style”
Kanstul 902-3B