avoiding wasting resources

Tubas, euphoniums, mouthpieces, and anything music-related.
Forum rules
This section is for posts that are directly related to performance, performers, or equipment. Social issues are allowed, as long as they are directly related to those categories. If you see a post that you cannot respond to with respect and courtesy, we ask that you do not respond at all.
bloke
Mid South Music

avoiding wasting resources

Post by bloke »

Yesterday, I had a Christmas rehearsal/concert job that was about two hours away in Mississippi. A friend of mine was also on that job and has an even higher gas mileage car than mine (c. 40 mpg, fwiw). Generously, he agreed to let me ride with him and split his fuel expenses. We are really good friends, and it was good to get caught up chatting anyway.

We needed to leave around 1:00 p.m. from his house to easily have time to get to the rehearsal - which was around 3:30 p.m. (Actually, we arrived early enough so as to be able to check the town's pawn shops for deals, but both of them were "dry", this time.)

I had repairs to return to a university and a high school - which were both within ten miles or so of my friend's house. I actually hadn't repaired the university's instruments yet, so I got up early and got those knocked out.

I left home around 11:00 a.m., dropped off those repairs at those two schools, and then headed for my friend's house. I put my change of clothes and instrument in his car and we took off. His gas tank had been topped off before we left, and - after we played the job - we found a place a few blocks from where we played our Christmas show that was open with $2.60/gal. gas. I topped his tank back off in - to cover my half of his gasoline, and my half was only about $10.50.

I've always tried to be frugal with fuel and home utilities, but - over the years, and particularly since I moved out to the woods and with this top-down imposed hyperinflation - I've come up with strategies to be able to rarely leave here, and to combine errands so as to use very little fuel, when divided between a bunch of errands.

Hand ringers - who believe what they are told about oil, coal, natural gas, etc. - can't see that EV's, solar panels, windmills, etc., use just as much of that stuff as anything else (not to mention the non-biodegradable stuff that those things contribute to landfills - or are stacked up in piles and not even buried, after they fail in a few years) - if not more, and all that jazz.. it's okay for them to believe all that stuff (other than the fact that those sorts of mandates are at the expense of all the rest of us). I am an "environmentalist", in that am against making messes or being wasteful. As just one example, I believe that more and more intermodal use of trains and more efficient/quick-distributing intermodal use of trains should be encouraged (vs. more-than-necessary 18-wheelers carrying only about 1/2 of a boxcar of stuff each, while wearing out highways), I'd actually be fine with using (high-speed) passenger trains a good bit, if we actually had a decent system of those here, and my observations are that - when I drive through voting districts - which support the political forces that shake their fingers at all of the rest us regarding the-sky-is-falling-in stuff, it is those voting districts where I see horrible messes, filth, and waste, including a whole bunch of buildings rotting away - which are giving off tons of atmospheric CO² as they rot (and it's not as if atmospheric CO² is actually a threat, but just sayin'). As far as fuel consumption is concerned, my only concern is > me < avoiding buying any more than I need to buy, because my concern - regarding wasting of these sorts of resources - is > me < avoiding wasting more of > my < money on them than is absolutely necessary.

Merry Christmas to all ! :teeth:
These users thanked the author bloke for the post:
Dents Be Gone! (Tue Dec 12, 2023 11:34 am)

Dents Be Gone!

Post by Dents Be Gone! »

I agree, guys. This is the way to go.
Last edited by Dents Be Gone! on Wed May 01, 2024 11:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Grumpikins

Re: avoiding wasting resources

Post by Grumpikins »

I've been saying that about trains for years! It was absolutely stupid for the US to move away from trains as a continental transit system.

We occasionally travel to nearby cities (1-3 hrs drive) for dr visits. Usually make a day of it and try out different restaurants and shopping. Making those trips via high speed rail would be fantastic. I hate the traffic around the cities. It would be so much faster and safer, if the system was handled correctly.

Sent from my SM-S367VL using Tapatalk

Meinl Weston 2145 CC
King Symphonic BBb circa 1936
Hopefully a pre WWII king Eb soon.... :teeth:
Three Valves

Post by Three Valves »

$3 not spent is $5 I won't have to earn, I always say... :coffee:
These users thanked the author Three Valves for the post:
bort2.0 (Tue Dec 12, 2023 2:35 pm)
Thought Criminal
Mack Brass Artiste
TU422L with TU25
1964 Conn 36k with CB Arnold Jacobs
Accent (By B&S) 952R with Bach12
The Fourth Estate is the Fifth Column
bort2.0

Post by bort2.0 »

If there's one thing the communists did well, it was mass transit systems. I mean, it was based in their way of thinking (get the workers to the jobs and home as efficiently and non-freedomly as possible). I guess they didn't do long distance passenger trains so much, but it has morphed into a modern means of transportation pretty well. It can be very convenient.

Talk about efficiency though... How many trucks would it take to haul the same amount of stuff as 1 fully loaded freight train? (About 300)
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

secondary point:

Truckers (companies/drivers) are often heard saying that "If it weren't for all the taxes we pay, those highways for your cars wouldn't have been built", to which I response, if way more of that stuff was intermodal, we wouldn't NEED all those highways - with highways (mostly) handling automobile traffic, the repairs of the highways would be less frequent, and (with cheaper more efficient ways to ship things) we wouldn't be paying ONE guy - and ONE truck's fuel, to take our stuff in ONE (again: half-boxcar-load) truck all the way across the country.

18-wheelers should mostly only be clogging up urban areas (with nice extra-well-built multi-lane highways) to carry stuff within 50 - 100 miles of intermodal yards to final distribution centers - from where they are put on the panel trucks that deliver to our addresses).

even better: The distribution centers could all be within a mile or two of the intermodal yards, yes?

bloke "Throughout my lifetime our rulers have been telling the gullible amongst us that (chose the version - climate/limited fuel/acid rain/etc.) 'The sky is falling in' since FOREVER. It has NOT, and it WILL not...and (throughout my lifetime) it has always been (fill in the blank) 'If we don't do something NOW, THEN TEN YEARS FROM NOW...!!!!!....' "
bort2.0

Post by bort2.0 »

Truckers exist because the railroad tycoons don't want to pay all the taxes by themselves either
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

Railroads receive extraordinary privileges, and - of all Industries - have just about the most leeway to do whatever the hell they want to do.

Others who know the specifics of this will explain them to you if they care to. And you are noting that I'm not running down railroads.