New tubas...

Tubas, euphoniums, mouthpieces, and anything music-related.
Forum rules
This section is for posts that are directly related to performance, performers, or equipment. Social issues are allowed, as long as they are directly related to those categories. If you see a post that you cannot respond to with respect and courtesy, we ask that you do not respond at all.
Grumpikins

New tubas...

Post by Grumpikins »

At the tuba christmas event I noticed that several newer tubas of different brands had a very noticeable "angle" where the actual bell was attached to the bell stack in manufacturing. Normally I would think that this was an anomaly, but it was easily visible on multiple horns. I know one was an Eastman 4/4 cc tuba 1 year old and another was a B&S f tuba. There were several other horns I saw it on, but didn't catch their brands.

I dont know the origin of these horns, wonder if it's the same Chinese factory. To me this seems like poor craftsmanship. It's two pieces grafted together in a manner that should look seamless.

Anybody else notice this?

Sent from my SM-S367VL using Tapatalk

Meinl Weston 2145 CC
King Symphonic BBb circa 1936
Hopefully a pre WWII king Eb soon.... :teeth:
Sousaswag

Re: New tubas...

Post by Sousaswag »

Interested in what you mean.

What angle are you describing? I’m thinking of old 345’s with F’d up ferrules that look weird.
Meinl Weston 2165
B&M CC
Willson 3200RZ-5
Holton 340
Pan-American Eb
King Medium Eb
LeMark
Site Admin

Post by LeMark »

Yeah, I have to admit being a little confused myself
Yep, I'm Mark
arpthark

Post by arpthark »

Yeah, I have never noticed this. If it was a real B&S F it definitely wasn't made in China, though.
Blake
donn

Post by donn »

"Actual bell" probably is the bell flare, but if instead it refers to the entire piece we usually think of as the bell ... I think it isn't uncommon for the lower part of the bell to have a conical shape that generously approximates the classic horn profile, such that the transition is sort of noticeable where the bell attaches to the bottom bow. Smaller Yamahas for example.
UncleBeer

Post by UncleBeer »

A picture showing what you describe would help enormously.
Grumpikins

Post by Grumpikins »

My fat fingers on this tiny phone. The red lines profile, the green is the general area where I saw the angle.

Meinl Weston 2145 CC
Grumpikins

Post by Grumpikins »

Uggh.Image

Meinl Weston 2145 CC
Grumpikins

Post by Grumpikins »

I first saw this on the eastman tuba. Then as we were playing it was on my mind and I started seeing it on other horns around the room. But not on older horns. Does anyone else notice this? Look for it and tell me I'm not crazy. ....ok, I am crazy, but...

Meinl Weston 2145 CC
arpthark

Post by arpthark »

I have a newer Eastman 4/4 CC. Bought new in 2022. Let me find a pic:

Do you see it here?
Blake
Mary Ann

Post by Mary Ann »

Let's just tell him he's crazy!!
These users thanked the author Mary Ann for the post:
arpthark (Sat Dec 16, 2023 9:05 am)
BRS

Post by BRS »

Last edited by BRS on Wed Mar 20, 2024 5:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Grumpikins

Post by Grumpikins »

Not in that picture. Beautiful horn. He said his was the 4/4, but it seemed to have a larger diameter bell throat. On this fellows horn it was quite visible. Maybe it was just a minor goof in production... doesn't explain seeing it on other horns as well.

The B&S horn was an f, recently acquired by my friends son. He's studying with Timothy Northcut now. I might get a chance to get a better look in the spring.

Side note. I'm not trying to knock on anybodys instrument. If it works for them, then it's right.

I'm the guy that drives crappy old cars because I cant stand all the new tech bells and whistles on newer cars...

Meinl Weston 2145 CC
Grumpikins

Post by Grumpikins »

BRS wrote:Reflected light can be deceiving.

I think you may be reading where the flare is brazed to the stack. Sometimes there is a line all the way around the bell. The bell and stack should be tangent to each other, but that braze line might create an optical illusion to the contrary.
That's exactly the spot I'm talking about. But looking at the outline profile, it was a visible angle like I sketched.

Meinl Weston 2145 CC
Mary Ann

Post by Mary Ann »

driving crappy old cars -- I'm close to a crossroads with the Subaru. It is starting to show it might be on its way down, although it doesn't have the miles that many do. But some get those miles in far fewer years than mine. I absolutely do not want a car that tells me how to drive, or even worse. tries to drive for me if the installed software detects something it has been programmed to react to. I like tubas better, even ones I can't play very well.
Two friends have just bought vehicles that turn themselves off when they have stopped for a pretty short period of time, and then restart themselves when they hit the gas pedal again. NO NO NO NO NO!! I'm told it has to do with pollution, of not having cars idling for long periods ("long" apparently being defined as "more than one second") in traffic.
Grumpikins

Post by Grumpikins »

Amen....

All I need is 4w drive, heat, and a/c.

Yup. I'm crazy!

Meinl Weston 2145 CC
humBell

Post by humBell »

Cars what stop them selves at a light, my impression was that they were doing something kinda clever: the engine is stopped just before spark so that all that is needed to restart it it is that spark. It is disconcerting, but i suppose i can live with it.

But yeah, i am generally disconcert by odd behaviors from vehicles, and somehow felt oddly well prepared for the weird lane correction programs in modern cars what automatically turn ya back into the lane by having driven a loose 80s steering column on a rear engine vehicle, where cross winds push the front of the car back and forth, and said forces coming back up to the steering wheel. Being passed by a semi in such a vehicle is a test unto itself.

And while a discontinuous bell curve offends my sense of geometry, having recently seen someone demonstrate underlying bugle principles with hose sections, funnels as bells, and mouthpieces, and thinking "ya know, that don't sound half bad!" I think i could get over the aesthetic factors if the sonar quality were to my liking. Indeed, i' be totally psyched to make something passing as music emerge from a heap of trash... Especially if i put the trash heap together.
Like the tale of Musashi winning duel with a sword he carved from an oar on his way there.

But i too have my own flaws which do not hold up under criticism, so i'l retire to my glass house...

Thanks for putting up with my ill- considered opinions.
These users thanked the author humBell for the post:
the elephant (Sat Dec 16, 2023 10:45 pm)
"All art is one." -Hal
dp

Post by dp »

The OP is asking about tuba assembly where the bell exits the ferrule slightly crooked and points off to the side,
instead of being laid out so that the bell taper naturally clears the body of the horn.

If the bell and body of the horn are centered in/near the same plane, and the centerline of the bell doesn't allow the flare to clear the body of the horn, or the bottom bow points toward the body of the horn, then the bell has to be angled out sidewise to clear. Usually the centerline of the body has to line up slightly behind the centerline of the bell for the bell to point "straight up", with the bottom bow aimed so the bell can exit the ferrule square and clear the body (e.g. not tilted IN the ferrule to clear.)
These users thanked the author dp for the post:
the elephant (Sat Dec 16, 2023 10:46 pm)
pfft (yes, that's for you)
Mary Ann

Post by Mary Ann »

Clearly -- but his observations seemed to be on individual tubas of models that are not all that way. I'd love it if he could get a picture. Can't say I'd like to receive a brand new tuba whose bell was a bit off center. I have enough trouble with the ones that appear perfect.
donn

Post by donn »

Bell exits the ferrule slightly crooked and points off to the side? Like this? It's what I was talking about, but not the OP I believe.