Slide tuba

Tubas, euphoniums, mouthpieces, and anything music-related.
Forum rules
This section is for posts that are directly related to performance, performers, or equipment. Social issues are allowed, as long as they are directly related to those categories. If you see a post that you cannot respond to with respect and courtesy, we ask that you do not respond at all.
MichalStefek
Lurker
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Slide tuba

Post by MichalStefek »

Hello everybody, it someone aware of history of this tuba, what happened with it (or is better to write "with her"?). It is in some muzeum or private collection, or is lost? It was definitely built, because of this sound example. I'm curios to see more photos or in best case scenario video. Btw. Vincent Fiorino looks like one of the first virtuoso at tuba.

Here is a picture of this tuba from some article:
https://we.tl/t-wUcSUXsgUq

Here is a patent:
https://patents.google.com/patent/US1924399

Here is a sound example

Dents Be Gone!

Post by Dents Be Gone! »

I agree, guys. This is the way to go.
Last edited by Dents Be Gone! on Wed May 01, 2024 11:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
matt g

Re: Slide tuba

Post by matt g »

Complete speculation:

Given this had a 4 valve setup and other good parts, it was probably chopped up and used to make a viable tuba.

The way that thing is laid out makes it look to be a pain to set up and play, on top of using a lot of space - not a great idea in a pit or on stage.

Miraphone used to or still does make a contrabass trombone in Bb with a double slide. Not many people have bought those, and they offer reasonable slide positions a human could manipulate.
Dillon/Walters CC (sold)
Meinl-Weston 2165 (sold)
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

I didn't want to click on anything that had me agree to terms of service. I wouldn't mind someone else taking a screenshot and re-hosting the picture. I don't believe I heard any glissandos that were more than a semitone. Someone else can correct me. I can pull off a semitone without a slide and there are some first valve slides that are set up to be at least 2/3 of the length of the circuit, and those could pull off a semitone gliss pretty easily, and I can imagine that if some sort of E-flat instrument were built with a capillary/mouthpipe portion that is as long as a typical rotary tuba's mouthpipe, that it could be turned into a slide that could do a semitone glissando.

I suppose I should go back and listen and pay more attention to what key the solo is pitched. It's probably not in D flat major, but if it is and it's an E flat tuba, it would be pretty easy to do what he did with the first valve slide.
arpthark

Post by arpthark »

humBell

Post by humBell »

I think it is cool. Has a sort of turret mount feel to it, perhaps on the back of a Jeep for mobility...

I approve of cool stuff like this, even if it is an exception what proves the rule. I was also concerned about the slide length being less significant on the lower instrument, as it did look kinda like a standard trombone slide on an instrument an octave lower (hence the double slide on the miraphone)

But still, sliding a third instead of a fifth still remains useful.
"All art is one." -Hal
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

OK...looks like it is a BB-flat...??
That much slide is probably something over a whole tone.
I'd guess that the length was taken away from the mouthpipe and 5th/6th bows.

That slide could offer a fantastic emotional effect at the end of the second movement of Mahler 5 - where the tuba brings the movement to an end by repeating a motif which is previously heard over-and-over - yet (the tuba: at the end) as crying out in grief - while also dying out.
soft crying.png
soft crying.png (16.94 KiB) Viewed 541 times
BRS

Post by BRS »

Last edited by BRS on Wed Mar 20, 2024 9:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pjv

Post by pjv »

Haha! Absolutely brilliant. All the energy and money to make a composition with the chorus "Sliding Tuba, tuba polka". What a sense of humor.
Bob Kolada
Has thanked: 0

Post by Bob Kolada »

Second horn down is another example of a slide tuba thing.
https://www.robbstewart.com/contrabass-trombones-eb

matt g wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 4:13 am Complete speculation:

Given this had a 4 valve setup and other good parts, it was probably chopped up and used to make a viable tuba.

The way that thing is laid out makes it look to be a pain to set up and play, on top of using a lot of space - not a great idea in a pit or on stage.

Miraphone used to or still does make a contrabass trombone in Bb with a double slide. Not many people have bought those, and they offer reasonable slide positions a human could manipulate.
I played one right out of the box a long time ago and thought it played very well and was surprised by how good the slide was. It was pretty uncomfortable to hold because you couldn't put your thumb around the bell brace. I seem to recall it didn't have much of a 7th position so that limits you somewhat.
JC Sherman built a Bb/F contra with an ascending C valve. imo that's the way to go if you want a big contrabass trombone- you could avoid the end of the slide (danger zone on a double slide) for everything but low Db and you could do a bunch of neat positions. For example, the big ascending Ring motif, G top of the staff to low E, can be played entirely in the first two positions if you really wanted to keep it close, I'd probably use 4th a few times.
My cimbasso has a long Marzan style main slide but it's not long enough to do anything more than mild scoops.