WTB King 1291 Bell

Read forum rules before posting.
Forum rules
When making a listing for large or expensive items, please include your budget and location. That will help you match with a seller that might have the item you are looking for
grayax
Has thanked: 0

WTB King 1291 Bell

Post by grayax »

I am currently working on restoring an old King 1291. I have, or can get, everything but the bell. It's an oddball size and I am really trying to avoid modifying it to accept a Conn bell. If anyone can help out or point me in the right direction, I would greatly appreciate it.

York-aholic

Re: WTB King 1291 Bell

Post by York-aholic »

Is that the Monster BBb rotary?

What is the diameter supposed to be? What is the collar id?
Some old Yorks, Martins, and perhaps a King rotary valved CC
grayax

Post by grayax »

York-aholic wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 9:53 am Is that the Monster BBb rotary?

What is the diameter supposed to be? What is the collar id?
Yes, it is. The collar is 7⅛". I had to get the tenon back to round, but it is 7⅛".
edfirth

Post by edfirth »

I got one for my horn from Kanstul about 15 years ago and it was 1100.00 bucks then. It fits perfectly and works great sonically. I don't remember who bought out their tooling ...or, if they will still make just bells. but it's decent place to start your search. Maybe start a thread on here about "who has the Kanstul tooling". These are amazing tubas. Hope you score. Best, Ed
York-aholic

Post by York-aholic »

You aren’t likely to find a King bell. As far as I know that bell is unique to that model.

You can occasionally find Kanstul school horns w/detachable bells that may fit well with a bit of trimming at the small end.

I think it likely that you’ll have to adapt another bell.

Best of luck to you.
Some old Yorks, Martins, and perhaps a King rotary valved CC
edfirth

Post by edfirth »

Lee Stofer knows alot about these horns and actually found a King bell for one awhile back.He may be able to give you some leads. Best, Ed
grayax

Post by grayax »

edfirth wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2023 7:43 am Lee Stofer knows alot about these horns and actually found a King bell for one awhile back.He may be able to give you some leads. Best, Ed
Thank you.

Fortunately, I have plenty of time before I need a bell. There isn't a whole lot of repair work per se to do (really only a large dent in the top bow and some tweaking of the rotors), but there is an incredible amount of cleaning and buffing to do.
edfirth

Post by edfirth »

Just remembered that Dan Schultz(Tuba Tinker) did a non King bell on one a few years back. I don't know what he used but it would be another possibility as to something that's compatable. Ed
These users thanked the author edfirth for the post:
York-aholic (Sat Dec 23, 2023 11:25 am)
tylerferris1213

Post by tylerferris1213 »

I used to own a 1291 and Lee helped me find a factory upright bell since mine only had a recording bell. I have since sold it and both bells, but the new owner may be willing to sell one of the bells? His name is Kody Tickner and he lives in California. You can probably find him on Facebook. It doesn't hurt to ask!

Edit- I just talked to Kody, and apparently Norm Epley has it now.
Tyler Ferris
Wessex British F
York Monster Eb
Getzen CB-50 CC
Cerveny CBB-601 BBb
"Yamayork" Frankentuba Subcontrabass FF
grayax

Post by grayax »

It looks like I may be going in a bit of a different direction with the bell, but I won't know until some time next week.