I like playing the tuba

Tubas, euphoniums, mouthpieces, and anything music-related.
Forum rules
This section is for posts that are directly related to performance, performers, or equipment. Social issues are allowed, as long as they are directly related to those categories. If you see a post that you cannot respond to with respect and courtesy, we ask that you do not respond at all.
Tubajug

I like playing the tuba

Post by Tubajug »

At the start of this school year I made a goal to play my tuba every day. I wanted to be able to tell my students (I teach 5th grade beginning band) that yes, I play my instrument every day. So far, I've only missed one day each month (five days total). In addition to the predictable benefits of increased endurance, etc, I've rediscovered just how much I like playing the tuba.

Sometimes it's a full-on practice session, and sometimes it's a few quick scales before bed, just to say I played that day, but I've really enjoyed just PLAYING my instrument each day.

I highly recommend it!
These users thanked the author Tubajug for the post (total 7):
York-aholic (Fri Dec 29, 2023 12:51 am) • BramJ (Fri Dec 29, 2023 1:41 am) • BRS (Fri Dec 29, 2023 3:05 am) • jtm (Fri Dec 29, 2023 1:01 pm) • prairieboy1 (Fri Dec 29, 2023 3:17 pm) and 2 more users

Jordan
King 2341 with Holton Monster Eb Bell
King/Conn Eb Frankentuba
Pan AmeriConn BBb Helicon
Yamaha YBB-103

"No one else is placed exactly as we are in our opportune human orbits."
Grumpikins

Re: I like playing the tuba

Post by Grumpikins »

I totally agree. Although, I dont get every day. I try to hit at least 3 or 4 a week. After not playing for about 15 years, playing my tuba(s) is a real joy! I'm so glad I didnt sell them.

Sent from my SM-S367VL using Tapatalk

Meinl Weston 2145 CC
King Symphonic BBb circa 1936
Hopefully a pre WWII king Eb soon.... :teeth:
sweaty

Post by sweaty »

It really is fun.

I taught 5th and 6th graders for 30 years. It's an important job. Playing along with them is important because "a picture is worth a thousand words". You're demonstrating good sound, steady pitch, rhythm, tonguing and slurring, and full breaths. I would also play trumpet along with them. I thought those two instruments, even in a big group, had a different enough sound from the group that they could hear me easily. When you show off technical skills way beyond their level, it shows them possibilities and, hopefully, a desire to progress. And it gives you "street cred".
Mary Ann

Post by Mary Ann »

I like playing my instruments but with the exception of violin, for me, it's all about playing with others. So the tuba doesn't get played by itself unless I have music I need to learn. Playing with others, from duets on up to full sized ensembles, is where it's at for me and tuba.
Violin has such a long history that it is a form of meditation to play it, and that is a completely different mindset from playing with others.
Tubajug

Post by Tubajug »

I agree, @Mary Ann . I do prefer to play tuba with others, but even just playing it each day reminded me of how much I like the sound, the feel, etc. of playing my instrument.

I am of the opinion that the tuba was created as an ensemble instrument and is at its best in a group. I was just never a fan of playing tuba solos. My favorite ones were always stolen from other instruments.
Last edited by Tubajug on Fri Dec 29, 2023 2:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
These users thanked the author Tubajug for the post (total 3):
Mary Ann (Fri Dec 29, 2023 3:24 pm) • Mark E. Chachich (Sun Jan 07, 2024 12:52 pm) • prairieboy1 (Wed Jan 24, 2024 11:30 am)
Jordan
King 2341 with Holton Monster Eb Bell
King/Conn Eb Frankentuba
Pan AmeriConn BBb Helicon
Yamaha YBB-103

"No one else is placed exactly as we are in our opportune human orbits."
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

He's not a green horn,
He blows a mean horn,
A must be seen horn,
Oh he's a wiz !
Sousaswag

Post by Sousaswag »

I say the same thing to my kids. I try to get on the horn for an hour after school. If not to practice, just to play for some fun. It’s a great example for young musicians!
Meinl Weston 2165
B&M CC
Willson 3200RZ-5
Holton 340
Pan-American Eb
King Medium Eb
arpthark

Post by arpthark »

bloke wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 12:44 pm He's not a green horn,
He blows a mean horn,
A must be seen horn,
Oh he's a wiz !
But you have to admit, he's a funny looking boob-ah.
Blake
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

arpthark wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 1:14 pm
He blows a mean horn,
A must be seen horn,
Oh he's a wiz !
not so much...
(Particularly at this point in my life) I'd probably be willing to trade looks with him.

These users thanked the author bloke for the post:
prairieboy1 (Fri Dec 29, 2023 3:19 pm)
prairieboy1

Post by prairieboy1 »

Tubajug wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 12:37 pm I agree, @Mary Ann . I do prefer to play tuba with others, but even just playing it each day reminded me of how much I like the sound, the feel, etc. of playing my instrument.

I am of the opinion that the tuba was created as an ensemble instrument and is at its best in a group. I was just never a fan of playing tuba solos. My favorite ones were always stolen from other instruments.
AMEN!! :clap: :clap:
1916 Holton "Mammoth" 3 valve BBb Upright Bell Tuba
1935 King "Symphony" Bass 3 valve BBb Tuba
1998 King "2341" 4 valve BBb Tuba
1970 Yamaha "321" 4 valve BBb Tuba (Yard Goat)
MikeS

Post by MikeS »

arpthark wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 1:14 pm
He blows a mean horn,
A must be seen horn,
Oh he's a wiz !
But then again, “He’s getting wealthy strong and hearty, thanks to plenty strong Bacardi.”

humBell

Post by humBell »

I think i agree with most of these sentiments, but at the moment i'm too lazy to pick and choose, let alone add any of my own.

Keep up the good work playing!
"All art is one." -Hal
Charlie C Chowder
Has thanked: 0

Post by Charlie C Chowder »

Mary Anne statement about mind set is very important. I come to music with a need. A need for what depends on where my head is at the time. It usually needs to unwind. I do not like having to prep music to play with others but like to jam with others. Prepping music is work. Like long tones it need to be done but it does not let me just play. I just want to play, make noise, release myself. I play the instruments I do because they allow me to do this. I started on trombone but was and still am too short to reach seventh position. But when I was switch to the Sousaphone setting on a sousaphone chair, I could play every note. Well almost two octaves. It was a new world. It gave me a full voice. So I love playing my tuba (and other toys) all by myself just like I love to hum in the car, or sing in the shower whatever song or music that wants to come out.
I tell everybody who is just starting an instrument to close the books after you have practice and just play what ever you want for fifteen minuets. Nobody says "I practice _________" . We say "I Play _________".

"Summer Time" is a nice solo for any instrument and easy to do variations on.

CCC
These users thanked the author Charlie C Chowder for the post (total 3):
rodgeman (Sun Dec 31, 2023 2:02 pm) • Tubajug (Mon Jan 01, 2024 9:16 am) • prairieboy1 (Wed Jan 24, 2024 11:35 am)