Gregson Brass Band Documentary with John Fletcher

Tubas, euphoniums, mouthpieces, and anything music-related.
Forum rules
This section is for posts that are directly related to performance, performers, or equipment. Social issues are allowed, as long as they are directly related to those categories. If you see a post that you cannot respond to with respect and courtesy, we ask that you do not respond at all.
LeMark
Site Admin

Gregson Brass Band Documentary with John Fletcher

Post by LeMark »

I don't know if this has been posted before, but it needs to be again

These users thanked the author LeMark for the post (total 2):
2nd tenor (Mon Jan 01, 2024 2:40 pm) • BramJ (Mon Jan 01, 2024 11:34 pm)

Yep, I'm Mark
bloke
Mid South Music

Re: Gregson Brass Band Documentary with John Fletcher

Post by bloke »

I like the fact that Previn wasn't lecturing us, and fully admitted that he didn't know much about the genre and was heading up there himself to be educated.
Dents Be Gone!

Post by Dents Be Gone! »

I agree, guys. This is the way to go.
Last edited by Dents Be Gone! on Wed May 01, 2024 11:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
These users thanked the author Dents Be Gone! for the post (total 2):
graybach (Mon Jan 01, 2024 1:31 pm) • windshieldbug (Mon Jan 01, 2024 9:17 pm)
2nd tenor

Post by 2nd tenor »

LeMark wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2024 12:20 am I don't know if this has been posted before, but it needs to be again
Thanks for posting that video. As a youth I knew folk who knew folk in those bands and young lads like me aspired to join them - though it didn’t take me too long to realise that I’d never reach those heights.

One thing in the film that strikes me is the all male membership, in the 1970’s some girls started to be allowed into youth bands but historically Brass Bands were pretty much men only places. Now the future of Brass Bands seems, to me, to be pretty much evenly split between men and women - we certainly have some very gifted women in our Band and over half the membership is female. Currently the ablest Tuba players in my Band are male, but one of our ‘front row’ Cornet players used to play BBb in a Championship Section Band and that player is a woman. One of our recent Principle Cornet players moved on and is now a percussionist for a Championship Section band, again that player is a woman. Of the thirty players listed on Black Dyke’s web site eight are young women. The times, they are a changing.
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

I'm guessing that one of the reasons that they were traditionally only male is that they also seem to be even more company-related than town-related... and those companies were most often traditionally male occupation types of companies. Am I wrong?

In America, everyone is aware that the Jack Daniels whiskey distillery had a band in the distant past...resurrected but not (really) under their auspices anymore, and here in my shop was a Bach Stradivarius cornet with a stout metal emblem on the case indicating that it was originally owned by an elevator company in Memphis that had its own band.
prairieboy1

Post by prairieboy1 »

A terrific documentary with many examples of beautiful playing. Thank you for posting this!! :tuba:
These users thanked the author prairieboy1 for the post (total 2):
bloke (Mon Jan 01, 2024 5:38 pm) • windshieldbug (Mon Jan 01, 2024 9:19 pm)
1916 Holton "Mammoth" 3 valve BBb Upright Bell Tuba
1935 King "Symphony" Bass 3 valve BBb Tuba
1998 King "2341" 4 valve BBb Tuba
1970 Yamaha "321" 4 valve BBb Tuba (Yard Goat)
2nd tenor

Post by 2nd tenor »

bloke wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2024 3:45 pm I'm guessing that one of the reasons that they were traditionally only male is that they also seem to be even more company-related than town-related... and those companies were most often traditionally male occupation types of companies. Am I wrong?
I wouldn’t say wrong, but the picture is complex and I only know a limited part of it. Two types of Band existed those that were organisation/company sponsored/owned and those that were independent and the documentary gives an example of each. Bess O Barn recruited from its training band and that was all boys, girls simply weren’t admitted and - as far as I know - that practise was usual. The youth band that I played in did admit girls, but originally it was a boys only band. The company sponsored bands were similar (male only) in that skill levels required to join were very high (women didn’t have access to the necessary training) and the players did work for the company, married women were at home looking after children and domestic matters - that’s just how things were. I recall that if you were a player for Black Dyke then you had a ‘job for life’ - effectively high job security - and that the Mill employed many different trades in support of the manufacturer of its core products.
These users thanked the author 2nd tenor for the post:
bloke (Tue Jan 02, 2024 8:52 am)
andycat
Has thanked: 0

Post by andycat »

As a former member of Besses, they admoitted women in the late 1980's. I was a member of Faireys in 2000-2004, and they only admitted women after that!

Whereas Foden's (Where I was in the 1990-94 time, as now) already had women when I joined.
These users thanked the author andycat for the post (total 2):
2nd tenor (Tue Jan 02, 2024 6:05 am) • bloke (Tue Jan 02, 2024 8:52 am)
Andy Cattanach, UK
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/user/acattanach72/videos[/youtube]
Foden's Band, Intrada Brass Ensemble.
Yamaha Neo BBb x 2 (2011 and 2022), B+H 3v Imperial BBb.
Yamaha YBL613H Bass Trombone.
Mercer and Barker MB5 Cattanach, M+B 1.5BT Mouthpieces.