Backbore effect on intonation?

Tubas, euphoniums, mouthpieces, and anything music-related.
Forum rules
This section is for posts that are directly related to performance, performers, or equipment. Social issues are allowed, as long as they are directly related to those categories. If you see a post that you cannot respond to with respect and courtesy, we ask that you do not respond at all.
Grumpikins

Re: Backbore effect on intonation?

Post by Grumpikins »

bloke wrote:The most basic guideline (were someone to goad me into offering one up) with mouthpieces would be to compare a bass tuba to an alto sax, and a contrabass tuba to a tenor sax. "Stick with alto sax sized mouthpieces when playing an alto sax, and stick with tenor sax sized mouthpieces when playing a tenor sax"...

...but people break that super-general/super-liberally-worded rule as well, and plenty of tuba players do the same... The really great thing about any of that: It ain't me, and I'm fine with others doing whatever with their stuff.
This is exactly what I think is the issue with the eb horn I'm messing around with. I dont have a mp that is the correct size relative to this horn. The reciever size is the biggest obstacle also. I know you have said that you typically remove and run a taper in them to american shank size. I have considered that, but I want to leave that as a last resort. Lol. The best solution is always the last one you try. Right...

Sent from my SM-S367VL using Tapatalk

Meinl Weston 2145 CC
King Symphonic BBb circa 1936
Hopefully a pre WWII king Eb soon.... :teeth:
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

If it's small shank...AND a small E-flat tuba...
(yes, I have sort-of expensive stuff I can sell you in small shank, but)...

...What about seeing if you can find a USED small Denis Wick tuba mouthpiece in small shank...??

such as a 4 or 5 (with NO "L" after the number...??)
Grumpikins

Post by Grumpikins »

I have access to cnc equipment, and this is a fun side project for me. I'm not trying to create the 8th wonder or market a product. Just a less expensive way for me to create something I need. If it doesn't work out, aka sucks, I'll probably go that route (denis wick?).

Sent from my SM-S367VL using Tapatalk

Meinl Weston 2145 CC
King Symphonic BBb circa 1936
Hopefully a pre WWII king Eb soon.... :teeth:
Pauvog1

Post by Pauvog1 »

I noticed more change in resistance/feel and tone than pitch on my modular Sellmansberger/Houser mouthpieces.
MW 2155
PT-18p (MRP)
JP 274 MKII
For sale
Laskey 30G, American shank https://tubaforum.net/viewtopic.php?t=9 ... 2f1502a4d7
Giddings Baer CC Euro shank https://tubaforum.net/viewtopic.php?p=96137#p96137