Some help and advice!

Tubas, euphoniums, mouthpieces, and anything music-related.
Forum rules
This section is for posts that are directly related to performance, performers, or equipment. Social issues are allowed, as long as they are directly related to those categories. If you see a post that you cannot respond to with respect and courtesy, we ask that you do not respond at all.
Catalina's_Alleyway
Lurker
Been thanked: 0

Some help and advice!

Post by Catalina's_Alleyway »

Hello! I'm new to TubaForum and came on here to ask about some advice!
To start off, I'm pretty new to tuba. I started on flute, but decided to switch and I've been playing tuba for around two years or so and I practice pretty regularly.
I go to a fairly small school, I'm the only tuba in my symphonic band and only sousaphone in my marching band, so I've definitely had a lot of practice and pressure when it comes to that!
I specifically wanted advice on getting better and overall improving. Where I live, tuba teachers are very limited and the nearest one is like, 2-3 hours a way so I really look up to friends, books, and others for advice.
I guess specifically, I wanted to try out for Drum Corps soon, or other things like all state band, but I'm afraid I'm not good enough since they only accept the top of the top players. I think I just need to get better with things like sight reading, tone, breath support, playing at faster tempos, higher notes, etc.
Any advice helps, and I'll really appreciate it.
Thank you!

bloke
Mid South Music

Re: Some help and advice!

Post by bloke »

You actually have an advantage, because all the sound that is made in your band on the tuba is made by you. Regarding the other things, it sounds like something to consider might be Zoom lessons with really good microphone and really good speaker or headphones. I've never done any of that, so I'm sort of speaking out of ignorance. That haven't been said, my granddaughter placed (finalist) in an international youth instrumentalist competition, and her lessons are Zoom lessons.
russiantuba

Post by russiantuba »

Well, where do you live? You would be surprised—some rural areas have low brass teachers that aren’t well advertised.
Dr. James M. Green
Lecturer in Music--Ohio Northern University
Adjunct Professor of Music--Ohio Christian University
Gronitz PF 125
Miraphone 1291CC
Miraphone Performing Artist
www.russiantuba.com
Catalina's_Alleyway
Lurker

bloke wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 8:02 pm You actually have an advantage, because all the sound that is made in your band on the tuba is made by you. Regarding the other things, it sounds like something to consider might be Zoom lessons with really good microphone and really good speaker or headphones. I've never done any of that, so I'm sort of speaking out of ignorance. That haven't been said, my granddaughter placed (finalist) in an international youth instrumentalist competition, and her lessons are Zoom lessons.
That's awesome! I'm happy to hear about your granddaughter!
I have tried Zoom lessons with a tuba professor from a college, and it went pretty well! I just worry that it'll be expensive, but I'll probably work my way around that. I was able to order a few books on tuba though which should definitely help!
Thank you! I appreciate it.
Last edited by Catalina's_Alleyway on Tue Jan 09, 2024 12:41 am, edited 2 times in total.
Catalina's_Alleyway
Lurker

russiantuba wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 10:11 pm Well, where do you live? You would be surprised—some rural areas have low brass teachers that aren’t well advertised.
I don't know if you want an exact location but a pretty small town in Colorado next to Colorado Springs! I have looked online several times and all I could find was clarinet, trumpet, flute teachers, etc, but I bet I'll find someone! I've been having some of my friends teach me a little too!
DonO.

Post by DonO. »

Tim Hoffman teaches tuba at the University of Colorado- Colorado Springs campus. You could try contacting him. He might be willing to take you on as a side project. Or point you to a different teacher who would be good for you.
These users thanked the author DonO. for the post:
Catalina's_Alleyway (Tue Jan 09, 2024 1:30 pm)
King 2341 “new style”
Kanstul 902-3B
Conn Helleberg Standard 120- for the King.
Conn Helleberg 7B- for the Kanstul.
Looking for: minty Amati or Cerveny 681, Kanstul 902-4B
Grumpikins

Post by Grumpikins »

As for drum corps, my experience was that they are looking for people who are willing to show up and work hard. It is more like an athletic sport. Also very expensive. Tons of fun. Probably the most influential thing of my youth.

Sent from my SM-S367VL using Tapatalk

Meinl Weston 2145 CC
King Symphonic BBb circa 1936
Hopefully a pre WWII king Eb soon.... :teeth:
Catalina's_Alleyway
Lurker

Grumpikins wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 8:27 am As for drum corps, my experience was that they are looking for people who are willing to show up and work hard. It is more like an athletic sport. Also very expensive. Tons of fun. Probably the most influential thing of my youth.

Thank you! I've been saving up! I've had a somewhat experience as far as drum corps, as one of the colleges hosted a band camp with about 200 people. I was one of the 9 sousaphones and we worked from about 7am to 10pm. I think the hard work is worth it if you're passionate about band!
Catalina's_Alleyway
Lurker

DonO. wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 6:34 am Tim Hoffman teaches tuba at the University of Colorado- Colorado Springs campus. You could try contacting him. He might be willing to take you on as a side project. Or point you to a different teacher who would be good for you.
Thanks! I'll look into it!
DonO.

Post by DonO. »

Catalina's_Alleyway wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 1:33 pm
Grumpikins wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 8:27 am As for drum corps, my experience was that they are looking for people who are willing to show up and work hard. It is more like an athletic sport. Also very expensive. Tons of fun. Probably the most influential thing of my youth.

Thank you! I've been saving up! I've had a somewhat experience as far as drum corps, as one of the colleges hosted a band camp with about 200 people. I was one of the 9 sousaphones and we worked from about 7am to 10pm. I think the hard work is worth it if you're passionate about band!
If you’re used to Sousaphones and you’ve never handled a contra, you are in for a bit of…um…adjustment! :smilie2:

Your post brought back some memories for me. When I was in high school (when dinosaurs ruled the earth :laugh: ) you could say I was the only “real” tuba player. But we had a squad of 4 for marching band. It was a popular thing for woodwind players to switch to brass because all the brass marched but woodwinds would sometimes end up as “alternates”. So someone had to teach these switching woodwind players how to play tuba. Do you think the band director did that? :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: Nope. ‘Twas moi. I taught a flute player, clarinet player, and saxophone player so we could have a full section. You know, you would think the band director would have said “thank you”. Still waiting. :popcorn:
King 2341 “new style”
Kanstul 902-3B
Conn Helleberg Standard 120- for the King.
Conn Helleberg 7B- for the Kanstul.
Looking for: minty Amati or Cerveny 681, Kanstul 902-4B
Mark

Post by Mark »

The Airforce Academy Band should have some tuba players who could give lessons: https://www.music.af.mil/usafaband/.
russiantuba

Post by russiantuba »

Catalina's_Alleyway wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 12:37 am
russiantuba wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 10:11 pm Well, where do you live? You would be surprised—some rural areas have low brass teachers that aren’t well advertised.
I don't know if you want an exact location but a pretty small town in Colorado next to Colorado Springs! I have looked online several times and all I could find was clarinet, trumpet, flute teachers, etc, but I bet I'll find someone! I've been having some of my friends teach me a little too!

Jeremy Van Hoy is a bass trombonist in Colorado Springs. He actually has a euphonium degree under the tutelage of Fritz Kaenzig. Charles Ortega is in Pueblo. They may have students who could teach if cost is a concern.
Dr. James M. Green
Lecturer in Music--Ohio Northern University
Adjunct Professor of Music--Ohio Christian University
Gronitz PF 125
Miraphone 1291CC
Miraphone Performing Artist
www.russiantuba.com
jvanhoy
Lurker
Has thanked: 0

Post by jvanhoy »

Jeremy here. I suggest contacting Charlie Ortega here: sircharlso@gmail.com

Also, check out our summer camp here: www.summerbrass.org

Best of luck!
Catalina's_Alleyway
Lurker

russiantuba wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 11:49 am
Catalina's_Alleyway wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 12:37 am

Jeremy Van Hoy is a bass trombonist in Colorado Springs. He actually has a euphonium degree under the tutelage of Fritz Kaenzig. Charles Ortega is in Pueblo. They may have students who could teach if cost is a concern.
I had an online lesson with Mr. Ortega and also met him at one of my symphonic band group festivals! I Love The guy a lot!
Tubeast

Post by Tubeast »

Well, in that case You seem to be well connected already, and already have some tuba-mileage under Your belt.
So if You want "advice-by-wire" over forae like this one, maybe You have some more specific questions.
The answers to many of these are just one entry into the "search" function away, and many of us will be pleased to discuss what You found / are still missing despite search.