New plan for a BBb. (purchased a 601 BBb)

Tubas, euphoniums, mouthpieces, and anything music-related.
Forum rules
This section is for posts that are directly related to performance, performers, or equipment. Social issues are allowed, as long as they are directly related to those categories. If you see a post that you cannot respond to with respect and courtesy, we ask that you do not respond at all.
Mary Ann

Re: New plan for a BBb. (purchased a 601 BBb)

Post by Mary Ann »

How did it go? Is there a recording?

LeMark
Site Admin

Post by LeMark »

Concert starts in 4 minutes. I'll write more later, but I can tell you there is a reason I have two tubas on stage with me
Attachments
20240119_085340~2_MCG3YUMr00.jpeg
20240119_085340~2_MCG3YUMr00.jpeg (177.73 KiB) Viewed 988 times
Yep, I'm Mark
LeMark
Site Admin

Post by LeMark »

OK here's the verdict from my POV

Tone wise. Holy mother of God this thing sounds good In a big hall. Just this big warm and rich hug manifestating itself as a tuba tone. Completely happy and got several compliments (I had two major solos where I was the only one playing, so they HAD to listen to me... BWAHAHAHAHAHA)

As far as technique, it's a bit of a sluggish tank. There were some parts they had a lot of exposed technique and entrances in the high register that it became obvoius that I wasn't pulling my (considerable) weight. I had my Eb in the car, so this morning I ran through the hardest highest sections on that. I couldn't play the whole concert on it because I wanted the depth of the big guy on the solos and low notes, so I went back and forth a couple times during the 45 minute piece

So what's the issue? In order...

1. Me. there are certain things I wish I could do like I could 30 years ago. Like tongue
2. The clockwork springs in this horn are not quick and reliable, and I feel them lagging at times
3. The 1st and 2nd valves might be a little worn out. They don't have any compression, and could stand a replacement or rebuild

So... after playing nothing but a CC tuba in every possible professional setting in the last 35 years, this morning I played Eb and Bb in one piece.
These users thanked the author LeMark for the post (total 4):
Mary Ann (Fri Jan 19, 2024 12:46 pm) • prairieboy1 (Fri Jan 19, 2024 1:14 pm) • Lch3 (Fri Jan 19, 2024 1:26 pm) • rodgeman (Fri Jan 19, 2024 1:38 pm)
Yep, I'm Mark
LeMark
Site Admin

Post by LeMark »

Can I just say that Shostakovich 9 and a BBb Kaiser cerveny tuba are the match made in heaven I never knew I needed in my life until now?

Sure the 601 CC could play the notes, but the 601 BBb has that thick resonance. Hard to describe, but it's so different.
These users thanked the author LeMark for the post (total 2):
hrender (Sat Jan 20, 2024 8:09 am) • bloke (Sat Jan 20, 2024 9:57 am)
Yep, I'm Mark
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

B-flat anything is more work than the same C anything - and playing a B-flat anything compared to a similar C anything requires more precision in playing, but (assuming both versions of whatever are "good") a player will potentially get more out of a B-flat version.

6/4 wise (where I believe the differences are the greatest in resonance), anyone who's ever been able to pick up same-make B-flat and C instruments - and play them back to back - knows that everything I've just posted is the truth.

A lot of people talk about how sound/resonance is the most important thing they consider when obtaining an instrument, but those same people (Americans) won't even consider B-Flats. I suspect the reason is a combination of the American perception that B-flat instruments are for amateurs and the truth that playing B-flat instruments requires more precision in playing.

getting real, and a public admission:
I still haven't yet quite notched up my own playing so as the precision in my playing is at the point to where my B-flat playing is as reliable as was my C playing. :smilie6:
These users thanked the author bloke for the post (total 2):
LeMark (Sat Jan 20, 2024 10:08 am) • prairieboy1 (Sat Jan 20, 2024 11:10 pm)
LeMark
Site Admin

Post by LeMark »

A friend took this during warm ups before the concert. If I had known they were going to take it, I would have sat up straight.

The horn is odd to hold. I should have brought my strap (meant to) or a tuba stand.

Damn.... The beginning of the 4th movement of Shostakovich 9.... If you know, you know
Attachments
IMG_20240120_232513_SrohFIe67L.jpeg
IMG_20240120_232513_SrohFIe67L.jpeg (72.76 KiB) Viewed 841 times
These users thanked the author LeMark for the post:
MN_TimTuba (Sat Jan 20, 2024 11:39 pm)
Yep, I'm Mark
Mary Ann

Post by Mary Ann »

Knowing how big you are -- that thing is MONSTROUS!! Another thing that struck me that I find funny, is this: the tuba player looks like a tuba player; the bassoon player looks like a bassoon player; and the oboe player looks like an oboe player!!!
Really glad it's working out. I'm still wondering who got the Cerveny, but I have my suspicions.
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

yes...You're are considerably taller than I am.
no...I can't tell s--t from looking at a picture.
no...I can't experience playing that tuba from your perspective...

OK...(and I may well be wrong)...

It almost looks as thought (were the instrument held at LESS of an angle than in the picture) that the mouthpipe tube might actually be "high" (even for you)...????

That's why I reupholstered that budget-priced (yet safe/sturdy) 24" x 12" piano bench, sit on it the 'wrong' way (way towards the back) rest my monstrous tuba on the front if it, and am able to hold it in a much closer to "upright" (still slanted) angle, which takes a TON of the sideways (ie. unbalanced) weight off the instrument.

Being in charge, please just delete this reply if none of this is applicable...' no need to explain "why" I'm completely wrong. :smilie8:
LeMark
Site Admin

Post by LeMark »

Given a deep enough chair, I can put the tuba on a chair and reach the leadpipe. This is NOT a lap tuba. The symphony chairs aren't quite deep enough to do that, so I was trying to hold it with the grip of my legs while in tux pants x which really wasn't easy. Next time I'll bring a stand or a harness. I meant to bring my harness this time, but I left it at home two hours away.
Yep, I'm Mark
rodgeman

Post by rodgeman »

bloke wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 11:55 am yes...You're are considerably taller than I am.
no...I can't tell s--t from looking at a picture.
no...I can't experience playing that tuba from your perspective...

OK...(and I may well be wrong)...

It almost looks as thought (were the instrument held at LESS of an angle than in the picture) that the mouthpipe tube might actually be "high" (even for you)...????

That's why I reupholstered that budget-priced (yet safe/sturdy) 24" x 12" piano bench, sit on it the 'wrong' way (way towards the back) rest my monstrous tuba on the front if it, and am able to hold it in a much closer to "upright" (still slanted) angle, which takes a TON of the sideways (ie. unbalanced) weight off the instrument.

Being in charge, please just delete this reply if none of this is applicable...' no need to explain "why" I'm completely wrong. :smilie8:
I was the previous owner of this horn. The leadpipe is set high on the horn. I am 6'3" with a long torso and used a tuba stand to play it. It was set a couple of inches lower than the chair. I still use a K&M stand on my Eastman but it is closer to level with the chair. Playing it upright was easier with the stand.

Yes it is a big horn. He has a few inches on my height. Luckily my father was 6'8" and I was used to being around someone significantly taller than me. It was a fun experience meeting him and seeing him play it.
Eastman EBB-562 BBb tuba
Dillon G5B/Turner
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

LeMark wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 2:30 pm Given a deep enough chair, I can put the tuba on a chair and reach the leadpipe. This is NOT a lap tuba. The symphony chairs aren't quite deep enough to do that, so I was trying to hold it with the grip of my legs while in tux pants x which really wasn't easy. Next time I'll bring a stand or a harness. I meant to bring my harness this time, but I left it at home two hours away.
EVEN THOUGH a regular piano bench is too wide (to comfortably sit on it SIDEWAYS and rest the tuba on the bench itself - in front of you - you might TEST a piano bench and - if that hints at a solution - you might (??) consider doing that I've done (to play my 98).

Tuba stands...They've always felt restrictive to me (because the bottom of the tuba is STUCK in ONE place)...and - also - they scare the crap out of me - worrying that - if is set the tuba on one of those things wrong (lets say I accidentally barely kick the U-shaped tuba stand sideways...even just a bit), I'll put two ugly-@$$ CREASES in the bottom bow. Lastly (as I've stated, and particularly on a jam-packed stage) I'm afraid I'm going to trip over those things' legs - when standing up to bow.

The SIDEWAYS (padding removed, and replaced with 1/2" hard rubber) 12" x 24" collapsible (under $50 shipped) piano bench has SOLVED all of those issues for me...The tuba sitting on the same surface on which I'm sitting (seredipidously - and perhaps for you) is JUST RIGHT.

I loaned out the rest of that 13+"-wide roll of rubber to someone (so that can make what I made for themselves), but I can put you in touch with them and they could (if enough left?) cut off a c 30"-long chunk for you and mail it to you.

post script:
It would be really easy to take off an inch or two from that mouthpipe and add half that length (length ÷ two legs) back to the main slide ferrules, but - with all of that mouthpipe length coming out of the 1st rotor - I'm such a nerd that I would be tempted to add a couple more rotors. :laugh:
LeMark
Site Admin

Post by LeMark »

I don't love the idea of a tuba stand either, but then again this is the first tuba I've even thought about using one for. I've had tubas that were too short for me (currently do) but never too tall. Honestly I never felt it was an issue until I put on my tux pants, so maybe the whole thing would be solved by getting a roll of shelf paper to put on my legs

the horn feels good with a harness, standing or sitting. I think I'm going to open my recital on Saturday playing the big guy, while standing and playing. The nice thing about the harness is it frees up my left hand to work the tuning stick if needed
Yep, I'm Mark
Mary Ann

Post by Mary Ann »

Even with my variable-height chair pad, I find that putting a piece of that sticky shelf stuff on my thigh makes the tuba much less slide-y because it still is tilted and resting on my thigh.
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

LeMark wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 4:57 pm I don't love the idea of a tuba stand either, but then again this is the first tuba I've even thought about using one for.
same...and my bench thing (luckily, which is working out) still technically avoids one, as I'm setting the instrument on my chair seat.
Sousaswag

Post by Sousaswag »

I’m also one who doesn’t love using a stand. I use a sticky dash pad from Amazon. The only thing with that is that it doesn’t stay together if you leave it on all the time.

I have a stand and never use it. It’s just another thing to carry around.

With my Holton, it’s so wide that it doesn’t have any room to slide around! But, my smooth silver Tuono does need that pad.

Your tuba looks like that mouthpipe comes off the bell at an angle sort of like the York tubas. Interesting for a rotary instrument.
Meinl Weston 2165
B&M CC
Willson 3200RZ-5
Holton 340
Pan-American Eb
King Medium Eb
LibraryMark

Post by LibraryMark »

bloke wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 4:41 pm (snip)
EVEN THOUGH a regular piano bench is too wide (to comfortably sit on it SIDEWAYS and rest the tuba on the bench itself - in front of you - you might TEST a piano bench and - if that hints at a solution - you might (??) consider doing that I've done (to play my 98).
(snip)
The other night at community band practice I had forgotten my tuba stand. I looked around the room and saw the piano bench that came with a Yamaha digital piano and used that. It is smaller and narrower than a regular piano bench. I was amazed at how well it worked. It was a tad too tall, but it was really nice to not have to worry that my horn was going to slip off the stand.
Mary Ann

Post by Mary Ann »

If you take an adjustable-height pad to sit on, the bench can be the perfect height. I cut up a yoga mat into butt-sized pieces and use as many as I need, inside a black pillow case.
LeMark
Site Admin

Post by LeMark »

OK after owning this horn for a few months, here is my latest evaluation

Wow, what a tone. Stunning, thick, rich, with so much life to it.

I thought the clock springs were bad, but it turns out the valves were just scratchy. I never took the valves apart, because the horn went through a lengthy and expensive repair process right before I bought it so I assumed the valves were clean

Nope. Sigh. I cleaned black sludge out of the top side of the valve casings, oiled, cleaned, oiled, cleaned, oiled, cleaned until I could spin the valves without hearing the scratching

I noticed one of the stop arm pegs could have been dragging against the valve casing, so I shortened it a bit

When I got it all back together it played a lot better, but it's still too large to be a substitute for the eastman I have over here. The Eastman is more nimble for sure, with better intonation

The linkage still isn't great. I know people here would have a fit if I replaced the S linkage with dubro, but that might be what is going to happen

I'm glad I put the tuning stick on it, there are some notes that need it for sure.

If I had known I would wind up with a eastman BBb with a 20" bell, I probably wouldn't have bought this tuba at all. Yes, It sounds more thunderous and magestic than most other tubas, but the Eastman has a nice lush sound as well, combined with an incredible nimbleness

So it's nice that it's playing better, but I don't know if this is a long term purchase for me. Maybe I'll hold onto it for certain works for the symphony, it certainly sounded amazing on the Shostakovich we played in January
These users thanked the author LeMark for the post:
hrender (Mon Mar 11, 2024 9:04 am)
Yep, I'm Mark