RIP Peter Schickele

Tubas, euphoniums, mouthpieces, and anything music-related.
Forum rules
This section is for posts that are directly related to performance, performers, or equipment. Social issues are allowed, as long as they are directly related to those categories. If you see a post that you cannot respond to with respect and courtesy, we ask that you do not respond at all.
The Brute Squad
Has thanked: 0

Re: RIP Peter Schickele

Post by The Brute Squad »

I'm surprised at no mention of The Only Piece Ever Written for Violin and Tuba (which I don't think is the only piece ever written for violin and tuba anymore)

Joe K

Player of tuba, taker of photos, breaker of things (mostly software)

Miraphone 181 F w/ GW Matanuska/Yamaha John Griffiths
Kalison Daryl Smith w/ Blokepiece (#2 32.6, Symphony cup and shank)
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

The Brute Squad wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 9:26 am I'm surprised at no mention of The Only Piece Ever Written for Violin and Tuba (which I don't think is the only piece ever written for violin and tuba anymore)
:tuba: :thumbsup:

I ancient days, I played tennis (private court/always available - behind one of our church members' mansions - one of those whereby the fence around it was completely covered in ivy :smilie8: ) with a young lady who was a fine violinist.
The Barret Oboe Method has a bunch of duets in the back which are suitable for tuba and violin, but the bass clef part is more written with the bassoon in mind, and a tuba player will still find themselves busting their tail (particularly if it's not previously read).
...I was never able to talk her into lowering her tuning to F-C-G-D (so she could read the (trumpet) Amsden book and I could read the (trombone) Amsden book...even though I pointed out to her that Mahler 4 features a solo violin tuned up to A-E-B-F# (which presents considerable more risk of breaking the E string or causing false harmonics (due to stretching the strings).
daktx2

Post by daktx2 »

The Brute Squad wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 9:26 am I'm surprised at no mention of The Only Piece Ever Written for Violin and Tuba (which I don't think is the only piece ever written for violin and tuba anymore)
I played this one with a violinist friend on her recital as her "take a breather" piece. It went over well with the audience, I think we substituted a bicycle horn for the part where you're supposed to duum on your instrument. I honestly didn't love playing it though, there's not really any way to 'blend' in a satisfying manner. Little Suite for Winter (the clarinet and tuba duet) was a lot nicer to play.
Weltklang B&S Symphonie F tuba
Bohm and Meinl 5520 C tuba (for sale)
Kalison DS C tuba
Tubajug

Post by Tubajug »

LeMark wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 6:32 pm 1712 overture.

Hard to get more epic than that
I was laughing out loud the first time I heard that on the radio!
Jordan
King 2341 with Holton Monster Eb Bell
King/Conn Eb Frankentuba
Pan AmeriConn BBb Helicon
Yamaha YBB-103

"No one else is placed exactly as we are in our opportune human orbits."
WC8KCY

Post by WC8KCY »

Also sad to hear of the passing of Mr. Schickele. I truly regret not attending a concert of his at Interlochen a few years ago. It was evident even then that it would probably be my last opportunity to do so.

The first PDQ Bach piece I ever heard was No-No Nonette played over WNMU-FM in the mid-'80s. I happened to be recording classical music off the radio at time, and pretty much wore out that tape enjoying the piece over and over. I've loved PDQ ever since.

I haven't heard PDQ Bach on Interlochen Public Radio since Schickele Mix went off the air many years ago, but they played several pieces of his last Friday in memoriam. I'm sure some of the pompous @$$e$ up there complained about it. Too bad.

I had no idea that Schickele and Phil Glass--whose music he parodied--were friends.