My Short Recital with video links

Tubas, euphoniums, mouthpieces, and anything music-related.
Forum rules
This section is for posts that are directly related to performance, performers, or equipment. Social issues are allowed, as long as they are directly related to those categories. If you see a post that you cannot respond to with respect and courtesy, we ask that you do not respond at all.
LeMark
Site Admin

My Short Recital with video links

Post by LeMark »

Vocalise Op. 34/14 for Tuba and Piano
By Sergei Rachmaninoff (1873-1943)/ arr. Virginia Allen

Two Moods for Tuba
By Donald Swann. (1923-1994)
1. Elegy
2. Scherzo

Bop Duet #6
By Bugs Bower (1922-2020)

Not thrilled with how this turned out, but it also could have been worse.

Full disclosure... The Duet was a do over. During the performance there was a glitch with the audio track, and it wasn't pretty. We re-recorded it later.
These users thanked the author LeMark for the post (total 8):
MN_TimTuba (Sun Jan 28, 2024 12:24 am) • Ace (Sun Jan 28, 2024 12:59 am) • bowerybum (Sun Jan 28, 2024 5:36 am) • Dents Be Gone! (Sun Jan 28, 2024 6:52 am) • Lch3 (Sun Jan 28, 2024 1:57 pm) and 3 more users

Yep, I'm Mark
York-aholic

Re: Recital rough cut (rough being an operative word)

Post by York-aholic »

Sounds nice to me. Good to hear that York Eb. Thank you for posting that.
These users thanked the author York-aholic for the post:
LeMark (Sat Jan 27, 2024 11:39 pm)
Some old Yorks, Martins, and perhaps a King rotary valved CC
MN_TimTuba

Post by MN_TimTuba »

Thanks for posting, Mark! I always enjoy hearing you play.
The Two Moods by Swann is a particular favorite of mine. Your rendition has inspired me to try it on my Eb. Does anyone make a curved mute for a small bell front tuba? :bugeyes:
Tim
These users thanked the author MN_TimTuba for the post:
LeMark (Sun Jan 28, 2024 5:28 am)
MN_Tim
Lee Stofer Custom 2341-5
Miraphone 83 Eb
Miraphone 191-5 (formerly)
Holton BBb345 (formerly and fondly)
LeMark
Site Admin

Post by LeMark »

Humes and berg used to.... I know Joe was looking for one for a long time
Yep, I'm Mark
Casca Grossa

Post by Casca Grossa »

Your performance that you "aren't thrilled with" is way better than my absolute best day of playing. Sounded great to me. :tuba: :clap:
These users thanked the author Casca Grossa for the post:
LeMark (Sun Jan 28, 2024 11:39 am)
Mirafone 184 CC
Blokepiece Imperial
Soon to be 5 valve Lignatone/Amati Eb
Blokepiece Solo
LeMark
Site Admin

Post by LeMark »

Casca Grossa wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 11:33 am Your performance that you "aren't thrilled with" is way better than my absolute best day of playing. Sounded great to me. :tuba: :clap:
Thank you very much. I was just a bit down because I've been practicing a ton thinking that would help my chops from shaking, and it was worse than ever
These users thanked the author LeMark for the post:
Casca Grossa (Sun Jan 28, 2024 12:52 pm)
Yep, I'm Mark
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

I haven't listened, and may not.

I takes more courage to post a recording of one's own performance (for a bunch of same-instrument players) than it takes to actually do the performance, so there's that - for which I congratulate your courage.

different (better?) tuba...
If a tuba requires far fewer adjustments, there's a possibility that something like a nervous tremor (or the condition known as "essential tremor" - which is a thing with one of my siblings) could possibly be reduced, as factors which trigger either one might possibly be reduced, eh? (bloke: guessing)

I've noticed that - when my sibling picks up a full cup of coffee - their tremor is more severe. When they pick up their partially-consumed cup of coffee (less chance of spillage) their hand tremor is less severe. (again: a bloke's unschooled/non-scientific observation)
These users thanked the author bloke for the post (total 2):
LeMark (Sun Jan 28, 2024 12:08 pm) • jtm (Sun Jan 28, 2024 8:36 pm)
LeMark
Site Admin

Post by LeMark »

bloke wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 11:52 am I haven't listened, and may not.

I takes more courage to post a recording of one's own performance (for a bunch of same-instrument players) than it takes to actually do the performance, so there's that - for which I congratulate your courage.

different (better?) tuba...
If a tuba requires far fewer adjustments, there's a possibility that something like a nervous tremor (or the condition known as "essential tremor" - which is a thing with one of my siblings) could possibly be reduced, as factors which trigger either one might possibly be reduced, eh? (bloke: guessing)

I've noticed that - when my sibling picks up a full cup of coffee - their tremor is more severe. When they pick up their partially-consumed cup of coffee (less chance of spillage) their hand tremor is less severe. (again: a bloke's unschooled/non-scientific observation)
I do have to wonder how much the combination of Standing and being a bit nervous at my first recital in 33 years had something to do with it.
Yep, I'm Mark
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

We aren't asked to perform solos very often, but I always accept the invitation, because I think it causes me to pull things back together a little bit more than maybe I had been doing.

I was supposed to be on an oddball potpourri chamber recital (that was canceled due to the shutdown), where I was going to play a couple of things written for other instruments, as I really don't care for very many things written for solo tuba. (ie. Pow pow, pow-pow pow pow. Tucka-tucka-tucka-tucka tut tut tut, etc...)
One of those pieces I had chosen was a Saint-Saëns thing, and another was a Poulenc thing. I had been enthusiastically working on both of those.

An odd exception (where I just couldn't get myself motivated to practice) was when we were looking (during shutdown) for a solo brass piece that could be fit into a 1-hour brass ensemble/choir concert, and I found that there was a brass choir trancribed accompaniment for the entire Vaughan Williams thing. I offered up the second movement, and it seemed to be a good fit, because it didn't take up a large percentage of the 1-hour concert.

(By the way, the restrictions were so goofy that - in order for enough people to hear it - we had to do a 1-hour concert, clear out everyone, have some people go in there and spray magic wiffle dust all over the place, and then we had to do another 1-hour concert...this, in addition to the restriction of it only being one hour.) 60 minutes was "safe", but 61.1 minutes could KILL !!!!

Anyway, I just couldn't get that excited about practicing. I know the whole concerto far beyond memorization, played through the movement two or three times prior to the first rehearsal - along with a piano accompaniment which I found on YouTube, and that's actually all the practicing I did. Mrs bloke seemed concerned that I really wasn't working on it very much. (The performances were fine, being that I used the F tuba that plays itself.) I'm thinking that my lack of motivation was probably tied in with the idiocy of the shutdown, and all the chaos it was causing - probably another factor being that had worked on that piece so much in the past that I just couldn't get excited about reviewing it yet again.
Last edited by bloke on Sun Jan 28, 2024 9:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cktuba

Re: My Short Recital with video links

Post by cktuba »

Sounds great!!! Thanks for sharing!
These users thanked the author cktuba for the post (total 2):
LeMark (Sun Jan 28, 2024 12:51 pm) • bloke (Sun Jan 28, 2024 9:41 pm)
LeMark
Site Admin

Post by LeMark »

new links are up! Slightly better Audio than the rough cut up put up last night
These users thanked the author LeMark for the post:
bloke (Sun Jan 28, 2024 9:42 pm)
Yep, I'm Mark
Dan Tuba

Post by Dan Tuba »

Nice job 👍 :tuba:
Conn 25J
Holton Monster 3+1 EEb
Faxx 24AW
peterbas

Post by peterbas »

Last edited by peterbas on Fri Jun 07, 2024 1:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

OK...
I'm now going to have to listen - based on the compliments of those whose opinions I respect.
I'm sure there's plenty of great stuff in there...