Army workshop 2024

Tubas, euphoniums, mouthpieces, and anything music-related.
Forum rules
This section is for posts that are directly related to performance, performers, or equipment. Social issues are allowed, as long as they are directly related to those categories. If you see a post that you cannot respond to with respect and courtesy, we ask that you do not respond at all.
Rick Denney
Resident Genius

Re: Army workshop 2024

Post by Rick Denney »

Mary Ann wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2023 8:19 pm Thanks for the offers, which I really appreciate. I'll think on how doable I think it is for all with a minimum of hassle.
If you build a cadre of the willing, then you can sort-of make it up as you go. You can add me to that list, but when I'm going to and fro, it will be from Loudoun County 50 miles away and may not be at good (or consistent) times.

You'll need to work out your food situation on your own--there isn't anything in that area that will meet your requirements. There's hardly anything in that area that meets my requirements, and I don't have any requirements.

Everything Mark, Rob and Joe have said about the value of the presentations matches my own experience. Master classes = great. Too few. Recitals during the day, not so much. The reading sessions have been less fun for a while because they are obviously the lowest priority for schedule and location. Evening concerts depends entirely on whose on the program. Sometimes, a trip to Uncle Julio's in Ballston with old friends just seems more compelling. But the hang in the exhibit space is golden, and I'm hoping that will get even better as people become more accustomed to be around each other again.

Rick "it's the DC area, so some hassle is part of the adventure" Denney
These users thanked the author Rick Denney for the post:
Mary Ann (Tue Dec 19, 2023 2:13 pm)

Mary Ann

Post by Mary Ann »

Thanks, Rick. I would go principally to be able to try out a number of different tubas, but not sure how beneficial that would be in an elephant room. Pretty much decided not to go, at least this year. Tempting but I didn't find myself putting a lot of effort to figure it out. Maybe I'm just getting too old for that kind of excursion.
aarongsmith

Post by aarongsmith »

arpthark wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2023 6:19 am Just to be clear, are all the vendors tax-free?
No, some of us do have to charge sales tax, but I just build it into my pricing. Other's choose to eat the cost, or don't have to charge anything since they don't do enough business across the Virginia border.

Not my call to charge tax, but Virginia and Maryland technically requires private vendors to.
Rudolf Meinl 5/4CC
Willson 3400FA-5 Eb
Besson New Standard Euph
S.E. Shires Bass w/ Greenhoe Valves
scottw

Post by scottw »

Rick Denney wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 1:30 pm
arpthark wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2023 2:21 pm
Mary Ann wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2023 2:07 pm I want to go this year but still have NO IDEA where it is held. If somebody told me recently I forgot that already. Is there a blog somewhere about accommodations and where to eat etc.?
It is held every year at the Army base at Fort Myer in Arlington, VA.

https://usarmyband.com/workshops/tuba-e ... m-workshop
The official name is now Joint Base Myer-Henderson Hall.

For accommodations, look in the "Courthouse" area of Arlington, VA. There're a couple of hotels on Courthouse Road (including a Hilton Garden Inn and a Clarion), and the Virginia Inn is across U.S. 50 from there and very close. There is a Days Inn on U.S. 50, but the old walking gate across from it is closed to civilians, and that was the only appeal of that accommodation. There are also hotels in Crystal City on the other side of the Pentagon, and in Rosslyn on down the hill from the Courthouse area. You'll see all that in Google Maps. A car will be necessary no matter where you say.

For the past several years, the only entrance for civilians without base credentials has been the Hatfield Gate, which isn't within walking distance of anything outside the base. There will be lots of procedure to get on base, and that will be described on the link above. The difficulty of going on and off base is the secret for the survival of the grill in the Bowling Alley.

I'll be there again this year, and Ray Grim is planning to attend and stay with us.

Rick "who wondered what the JBM-HH abbreviation meant for several years after the change" Denney
For years we have stayed at the Red Lion Hotel Rosslyn Iwo Jima, less than 5 minutes from Hatfield Gate, right across the highway from the Iwo Jima monument. The place is clean and inexpensive, given the area. We are there only to sleep and head out to Myer the next morning early. FYI: ask for an inside room. They are in the main part of the building and the rooms are off an interior hallway. Parking garage is beneath the hotel and very convenient. The horseshoe section rooms open from the outside and can be quite drafty in February. No elevator, either.
I hope to see a lot of tubaforum folks once again.
Bearin' up!
LeMark
Site Admin

Post by LeMark »

see you all tomorrow!

remember... you see someone 6 foot 8 with salt and pepper hair and a Goatee, that's me. Don't you dare forget to say hi
These users thanked the author LeMark for the post:
Eric Murphy (Thu Feb 01, 2024 8:33 pm)
Yep, I'm Mark
scottw

Post by scottw »

You missed a really good and evening today. Variety best describes it!
The Swamp Rock concert tonight was really excellent.
Exhibits open at noon on Friday.
Day activities are down the road about a quarter mile from Brucker, at the Patton officers club.
Good lineup tomorrow. The evening concert, though, is several miles off base, in Alexandria, so you'll need transportation.
Bearin' up!
LeMark
Site Admin

Post by LeMark »

I watched the live stream. It looked good, but man, that one guy talked way too much, LOL
Yep, I'm Mark
sweaty

Post by sweaty »

The Latin Power group was fantastic! And so much fun.
russiantuba

Post by russiantuba »

LeMark wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 8:19 pm see you all tomorrow!

remember... you see someone 6 foot 8 with salt and pepper hair and a Goatee, that's me. Don't you dare forget to say hi
I wish I could be there. It seems like every year I get called for a gig or have Solo & Ensemble or an audition day with a tuba student. This year is no different, playing with 2 orchestras in the week and the last week before Solo & Ensemble and have record participation.

Hoping to catch some live streams on the long drives!
Dr. James M. Green
Lecturer in Music--Ohio Northern University
Adjunct Professor of Music--Ohio Christian University
Gronitz PF 125
Miraphone 1291CC
Miraphone Performing Artist
www.russiantuba.com
arpthark

Post by arpthark »

Please report back with bowling alley food pics.
These users thanked the author arpthark for the post (total 2):
BRS (Fri Feb 02, 2024 10:20 am) • bisontuba (Fri Feb 02, 2024 11:45 am)
LeMark
Site Admin

Post by LeMark »

Landed! Taking the silver line in from Dulles.
Yep, I'm Mark
ctroiano
Lurker
Has thanked: 0

Post by ctroiano »

Thanks to anyone that came to my 1871 quartet presentation! Apologies that the slides were hard to see. If you want a pdf of the PowerPoint or have any questions, feel free to send me an email at ctroiano@gmu.edu
Chris Troiano, DMA
Historical Ensembles Program Manager, George Mason University (Fairfax, VA)
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

LeMark wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 12:11 pm Landed! Taking the silver line in from Dulles.
Charge up your phone, rubber-band it to your forehead (pointed slightly downward please, considering the 7' elevation) and run a wall-to-wall fb-live webcast of your personal experiences (at least, when in the elephant room).
These users thanked the author bloke for the post (total 2):
bisontuba (Fri Feb 02, 2024 1:00 pm) • BRS (Fri Feb 02, 2024 1:14 pm)
travisd

Post by travisd »

Livestream replay from the Thursday night Swamp Romp.

https://www.youtube.com/live/soG-3jhv2J ... MTGr1Up86F
LeMark
Site Admin

Post by LeMark »

bloke wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 12:54 pm
LeMark wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 12:11 pm Landed! Taking the silver line in from Dulles.
Charge up your phone, rubber-band it to your forehead (pointed slightly downward please, considering the 7' elevation) and run a wall-to-wall fb-live webcast of your personal experiences (at least, when in the elephant room).

I brought my vlogging camera (gimbal camera). But more of today was about purchasing the Norwegian star. I'll do more tomorrow, and report on what I'm finding

I do have to say... The hagen 494 is the most impressive BBb tuba I've ever played in my life, and one of the most phenomenonal tubas ever
bisontuba (Fri Feb 02, 2024 4:09 pm)
Yep, I'm Mark
Three Valves

Post by Three Valves »

arpthark wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 8:37 am Please report back with bowling alley food pics.
The bacon cheeseburger combo meal was $12.

It tasted better when in was $8.
These users thanked the author Three Valves for the post:
bloke (Fri Feb 02, 2024 4:51 pm)
Thought Criminal
Mack Brass Artiste
TU422L with TU25
1964 Conn 36k with CB Arnold Jacobs
Accent (By B&S) 952R with Bach12
The Fourth Estate is the Fifth Column
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

Three Valves wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 4:34 pm
arpthark wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 8:37 am Please report back with bowling alley food pics.
The bacon cheeseburger combo meal was $12.

It tasted better when in was $8.
duh

bloke "Back when theater movies cost a quarter to watch - such as Gone With The WInd, The Wizard of Oz, Stagecoach, Wuthering Heights, Mr. Smith Goes to Washington, Goodbye, Mr. Chips, etc. (yet, the equivalent of $6 today) scenery-builders, costume-makers, script-writers, actors, and directors were all about 10X as good as all are now.
LeMark
Site Admin

Post by LeMark »

I'm not sure when the concerts the were not live streamed will go online, but when they do, please check them out. I can't remember when I've seen so many concerts with so much amazing and FUN music.
Three Valves (Sat Feb 03, 2024 3:47 pm)
Yep, I'm Mark
Mary Ann

Post by Mary Ann »

I watched last night the concert I missed the streaming of because I was at a rehearsal. For the first time I got to hear Carol J -- and wow. There are people whose talent and achievement level are so incredibly high that I just sit there in amazement. She is one of those. There was another tuba soloist in the same batch of concerts who was also incredibly impressive.

I wonder, how do those people get satisfied with "just" an orchestra job? You would think they might actually get bored and seek other outlets.

I think I did see one female tuba player in the military band. Marine, I think.
LeMark
Site Admin

Post by LeMark »

I have a former student in the ceremonial band. He has plenty of outside opportunities, including being a sub in the Baltimore Symphony.
Yep, I'm Mark