Norwegian star search

Tubas, euphoniums, mouthpieces, and anything music-related.
Forum rules
This section is for posts that are directly related to performance, performers, or equipment. Social issues are allowed, as long as they are directly related to those categories. If you see a post that you cannot respond to with respect and courtesy, we ask that you do not respond at all.
bloke
Mid South Music

Re: Norwegian star search

Post by bloke »

there was one for sale for $6000 a couple years ago that I missed out on

As far as the things you buy every day (food, fuel) "a couple of years ago's" $6000 (ignoring media nonsense propaganda) is today's $10,000+
The same goes for transportation and for housing - in many parts of the country.

C J

Post by C J »

I don't know for sure if this is legit, but it looks good.
4 valve N Star, located in Germany.

https://www.kleinanzeigen.de/s-anzeige ... 7-74-8670
My tubas equal 3288
Mary Ann

Post by Mary Ann »

I would have bought a four-valver, found one somewhere in Europe new, and they wouldn't send it over here.
Unless you're as fond of the false tone as I am, that would be a bit difficult in the contra range.
LeMark
Site Admin

Post by LeMark »

It would have to be a steal of a deal for to buy that, enough that I would add a valve myself
Yep, I'm Mark
Jim Williams

Post by Jim Williams »

So HornGuys are back in business?
The artist formerly known as Snorlax.
Shires Q41 and Yamaha 321 Euphoniums.
Yamaha 621 Baritone, Conn 50H trombone.
LeMark
Site Admin

Post by LeMark »

I'm really close to pulling the trigger..

I'm going to have to sell both of CC tubas, the york, and probably my bass trombone too, but I have the money in the bank to buy it outright, but I don't want to keep adding tubas unless I can replinish the bank account

The easiest thing would be to sell my incredible short action sterling bell adams E3, but it's too good to give up, even if I'm only using it for community band

It's going to take a while to consider myself a BBb /Eb player after 35 years of playing cerveny CC tubas
Yep, I'm Mark
Mary Ann

Post by Mary Ann »

You're cracking me up because after my recent experience with the Nirschl I want to add a contrabass CC to MY stable. Because while the Star has a fabulous low range, it isn't a contrabass and there are circumstances when I would prefer one.
LeMark
Site Admin

Post by LeMark »

I don't know if I've said this or not, but I'm at a point in my life wherever really hard time playing CC tuba for my students when they are playing B flat. I always seem to gravitate toward the fingerings that they need to use instead of the fingerings I need to use and it's frustrating. For my teaching, I think I need to become a B flat player most of the time and for performances that call for something lighter and higher, I can use an E flat.

Now here's the other wrinkle. I'm at work right now and I brought my York to practice on just to keep playing E flat fingerings, and for whatever reason it's playing great today. Feeling and intonation and all that stuff, the only thing I can't really evaluate is the tone from a distance. I need to record myself. The easiest thing to do would obviously be keep this instrument but I'm just not sure it has the tone that I'm looking for and the Norwegian Star is always been on my wish list
Yep, I'm Mark
LeMark
Site Admin

Post by LeMark »

Re: contrabass

My BBb is by no means a massive tuba, (think of the old 16" bell miraphones, and then chop 8 inches off the height, but the low range on it is very good

As for the york, the 20 inch bell does give it a better low range than most Eb tubas.... I think. I told my wife I still need to record it in our church's worship center
Yep, I'm Mark
Grumpikins

Post by Grumpikins »

I'm kind of a stingy miser now...

---Remember the old saying about the grass is greener on the other side? Sounds to me like the more you play that old York frankentuba, the more comfortable your getting....

Meaning is it really necessary to spend a bunch of cash on a new(ish) horn?

I guess it's all about what you need, what you want, and whether you have the money.

Sent from my SM-S367VL using Tapatalk

Meinl Weston 2145 CC
King Symphonic BBb circa 1936
Hopefully a pre WWII king Eb soon.... :teeth:
LeMark
Site Admin

Post by LeMark »

Yeah, you're onto something

So there it is.

Final answer

I'm going to keep playing the york at least until February, maybe see if there is anything I can to do it to fix a couple leaks, and then evaluate at TMEA if the Norwegian star is a major upgrade that's worth it. In theory the york has a couple advantages over the Star. (bigger bell and tuning stick) if I feel at that time I want to upgrade, I'll do it. My January recital will be behind me so that won't influence my decision, which I can't say right now that it's not.

I know this sounds stupid, but I feel at peace. This has been weighing on me
Yep, I'm Mark
LeMark
Site Admin

Post by LeMark »

I had mentioned earlier in this post that one of my fears is an $11k dust collector

If don't end up playing Eb very much in the future I will feel zero guilt about letting the york collect extended dust because
1. There is always a matter of personal pride associated with something you created yourself, like it's one of your kids (even if one of kids aren't the best kids in the world..... That's another story)
2. I probably have less than $2000 in this horn, even after scrapping a different horn to steal the valve section for the big horn.

Honestly one of my fears is the regret of selling the CC tubas like my DEEP regret of selling my piggy. That one I'm still kicking myself for
Yep, I'm Mark
Grumpikins

Post by Grumpikins »

I dont think the york will become a dust collector. Maybe a little, but I bet you'll find places to use it more frequently as you get more comfortable with it.

I cant wait to get mine patched up.

Meinl Weston 2145 CC
LeMark
Site Admin

Post by LeMark »

A star came up on the "other site" for a killer price. I almost jumped on it, but someone else who seemed very interested Pm'ed the seller first, so I probably wouldn't have been able to make the deal, and also... I'm kind of liking my york at this point. I've found and patched the leaks, the valves are quick and light, and it gets that famous york sound. It's so much easier to play than after I first built it, and there's something about playing a horn that you put together and modified with your own two hands.

I'm going to play a star at both the Army workshop and TMEA next month, so at least at TMEA I'll be able to do a serious A/B and see if it's still something I want to follow through with.
These users thanked the author LeMark for the post (total 2):
Mary Ann (Wed Jan 10, 2024 9:35 am) • prairieboy1 (Wed Jan 10, 2024 11:19 am)
Yep, I'm Mark
LeMark
Site Admin

Post by LeMark »

The search Is over

Just bought a used star at the army conference

Now I have to get it home!
These users thanked the author LeMark for the post (total 6):
bisontuba (Fri Feb 02, 2024 4:12 pm) • Three Valves (Fri Feb 02, 2024 4:39 pm) • PlayTheTuba (Fri Feb 02, 2024 11:53 pm) • BRS (Sat Feb 03, 2024 7:43 am) • Pauvog1 (Sun Feb 04, 2024 6:55 am) and one more user
Yep, I'm Mark
Grumpikins

Post by Grumpikins »

Congratulations! Good luck on the trip home. Cant wait to hear it. Maybe a video playing the Rachmaninoff on the star for a sort of side by side comparison. I really enjoyed your performance of that vocalise.

Meinl Weston 2145 CC
LeMark
Site Admin

Post by LeMark »

For sure I can do that. Maybe not the same hall, but it would be close.
I'm thinking I want to keep both horns. They are different from each other but that's not a bad thing
Yep, I'm Mark
Mary Ann

Post by Mary Ann »

I think once you get used to the Star the other one is going to sit in a corner.

Congrats!!
Pauvog1

Post by Pauvog1 »

LeMark wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 3:50 pm The search Is over

Just bought a used star at the army conference

Now I have to get it home!
Congratulations 🎉 :tuba:
MW 2155
PT-18p (MRP)
JP 274 MKII