ProTec Gig Bags

Tubas, euphoniums, mouthpieces, and anything music-related.
Forum rules
This section is for posts that are directly related to performance, performers, or equipment. Social issues are allowed, as long as they are directly related to those categories. If you see a post that you cannot respond to with respect and courtesy, we ask that you do not respond at all.
Sousaswag

ProTec Gig Bags

Post by Sousaswag »

Hey all,

As I was trying to find a bag for my Holton 340, it occurred to me that I've never really heard much about the ProTec tuba bags.

We all know the gold standard is Cronkhite, Reunion Blues, Superfine, etc. Those custom fit bags are awesome.

However, for those of us that can't or don't want to spend $600-$800 on new, custom-fit bags, the "stock" cases from ProTec, Miraphone, Gard, Wessex, et al, receive a look.

Here's my thoughts on what I received. Overall, thumbs up from me. Keep reading for details.

The bag for my Holton is their model C241. At the time of writing, it is on sale for $219.99 from Sweetwater. I purchased mine from a very nice gentleman in California. This bag was purchased for a different instrument but was much too big. He confirmed that this bag indeed fits his own Holton model 345, which was super convenient that he had one to put in there! I pulled the trigger.

I've always been skeptical of these budget bags. Those I've seen have always looked awkwardly huge, had broken zippers, straps, etc. They've been driven hard and put away wet, so to speak. Also, a $220 bag holding a $X,XXX tuba freaks me out a bit.

That said, the quality on these new-ish ProTec bags seems to be really good. You will see that this bag is comically large. It's probably several inches too long for the 345 tubas, but being as wide as they are, a bag that closes and holds them is good enough for me, again, without spending $800.

Zippers: Seem sturdy. They are nice. I'm going to say approaching the zippers on new Cronkhites. They may even be the same.

Material: Very nice, feels good. Doesn't appear to rip easily. Bag holds its shape with no instrument inside.

Loading style: Sort of a hybrid. It's not a clamshell side-loading bag that's super easy to load/unload. The zipper goes from the bell, around to the far side of the bottom bow. Not going to lie, it's a PITA to load a BAT into this bag. Bell goes first, and the rest of the horn slides in. As soon as you unzip that zipper, the bag won't hold shape. For what it is, it's fine.

Straps: Comfortable. More comfortable than the stock MW/B&S conglomerate bags. These actually have padding. This particular bag is VERY long. I'm 6'3". Tightened up the straps, and I'm able to walk without problem, without getting slapped in the thighs. You shorter folk, good luck. I'm not sure these straps will work for you. They're similarly placed to the Cronkhite bags. There's a LOT of length to these, so it should fit a lot of people, but be aware, this particular model is stupidly large. It's for stupidly large tubas, though.

Storage: Excellent. Two big pockets, came with a mouthpiece pouch, has pencil holders, an oil pouch, the works. Really happy here.

Protection: It's a gig bag. Don't drop it. There seems to be a disc in the bell area, but the Holton is a bit short to truly reach that in backpack position. It's fine. Just don't drop it.

Overall, for what this is, I'm happy. It fits my BAT, and didn't put me in the hole $1,000. Comfortable, great storage, affordable. If I could pick this or the Miraphone bag, I'd still probably pick Miraphone. I'm still skeptical on long-term usage, but this will never be heavily used. It's the best option for any of these old American makes - Holton 340/345, Conn 2X or 3XJ, Martin Mammoths, Holton Mammoths, big ass Yorks, etc. Those horns that are too big for anything, will probably fit this bag.

[
Front view. That storage is unreal!

[
Rear view. Generally comfortable and seems to be stitched well.

[
Nifty pocket inside a pocket. Pencils, pens, oil storage, nice!

[
How it opens. Weird, unwieldy for large instruments, but it works. Nice protection ideas inside too.

Meinl Weston 2165
B&M CC
Willson 3200RZ-5
Holton 340
Holton 350
Pan-American Eb
King Medium Eb
prairieboy1

Re: ProTec Gig Bags

Post by prairieboy1 »

You made a terrific purchase. I have the exact same bag and am very happy with it. :clap: :clap:
1916 Holton "Mammoth" 3 valve BBb Upright Bell Tuba
1935 King "Symphony" Bass 3 valve BBb Tuba
1998 King "2341" 4 valve BBb Tuba
1970 Yamaha "321" 4 valve BBb Tuba (Yard Goat)
Three Valves

Post by Three Valves »

I got one for my Accent. It fills it up real good! :tuba:
Thought Criminal
Mack Brass Artiste
TU422L with TU25
1964 Conn 36k with CB Arnold Jacobs
Accent (By B&S) 952R with Bach12
The Fourth Estate is the Fifth Column
LeMark
Site Admin

Post by LeMark »

The platinum bag is great. I have the big "gold level" one for my Kaiser, and I'm thankful that I didn't have to buy an expensive bag for something that fits it perfectly
Yep, I'm Mark
Sousaswag

Post by Sousaswag »

LeMark wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 3:54 pm The platinum bag is great. I have the big "gold level" one for my Kaiser, and I'm thankful that I didn't have to buy an expensive bag for something that fits it perfectly
I believe that's what this one is. C241 "Gold" series.

In looking at the platinum, those seem to be more traditional clamshell. Looks like the platinum is only offered for normal sized tubas. Could be a good option.
Meinl Weston 2165
B&M CC
Willson 3200RZ-5
Holton 340
Holton 350
Pan-American Eb
King Medium Eb
Kevbach33
Has thanked: 0

Post by Kevbach33 »

Three Valves wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 3:46 pm I got one for my Accent. It fills it up real good! :tuba:
My F. Schmidt 2103 was shipped in one of these. I agree about those pockets. It's unreal how much you can stuff in there. General quality was good, I thought. Stiff foam on the front and bell, good quality cordura.

I heard these were designed with the tall King 124x/234x tubas in mind. It seems they also have the girth for Kaiser basses and BAT's.

The loading and unloading was a little awkward, but I got used to that. However...

I couldn't stand the way my tuba sagged in the bag (I reckon a B&S PT-1 (3103) would fare a bit better with its extra pancake) on my back. Also, no matter how I adjusted the straps, I couldn't keep the bag from knocking my legs, and I'm 6'4".

I got a cordura Gard bag (the size down from the Kaiser size, and also because no Miraphone bag is tall enough) that fits it snugly bell to bow, which is exactly what I wanted without resorting to a Cronkhite or Superfine. And it sits better on my back. Also, I don't mind that it's a top loader, or that it has less storage since I'm switching to (mostly) digital for reading music.

Not sure about fitment besides 4/4 rotary tubas up to 41.7" (they claim only 41" but really a bit more, also bell up to 20"), and no clue about BAT's, but this particular Gard model (64-MxK) might just be big enough to handle a Fafner, fwiw.

Ymmv and such.
F Schmidt 2103 BBb, Laskey 30G US
Wessex TE360P Bombino Eb, Perantucci PT-84S
JP274MKII Euphonium, Tucci RT-7C
Various slide things
Three Valves

Post by Three Valves »

Everyone complains about how it sags when backpack carrying.

I don’t backpack carry.
Thought Criminal
Mack Brass Artiste
TU422L with TU25
Sousaswag

Post by Sousaswag »

Three Valves wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 9:04 am Everyone complains about how it sags when backpack carrying.

I don’t backpack carry.
Initially, it’s fine… No worse than any other bag I’ve had.

That’s also just probably a complaint of big, heavy tubas that weigh the bag down. Without the 4th valve this horn is “light” compared to my 5450, at least.
Meinl Weston 2165
B&M CC
Willson 3200RZ-5
Holton 340
Holton 350
Pan-American Eb
King Medium Eb
gocsick

Post by gocsick »

I use the Protec siusaphone bags for both my BBb and Eb. For the price the quality is fantastic. I routinely recommend them to others.
As amateur as they come...I know just enough to be dangerous.

Meinl-Weston 20
Holton Medium Eb 3+1
Holton Collegiate Sousas in Eb and BBb
40s York Bell Front Euphonium
Schiller Elite Euphonium
Yamaha YSL-352 Trombone
Olds Ambassador Trumpet & Cornet
Kevbach33
Has thanked: 0

Post by Kevbach33 »

Three Valves wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 9:04 am Everyone complains about how it sags when backpack carrying.

I don’t backpack carry.
As a doubler who often carries my tuba, a (bass) trombone, mute bag of trombone mutes (depending on the gig/concert) and a regular music stand, something has to go on my back, hence my decision to go Gard over Protec. It's simply easier to carry the tuba on the back and smaller items in both hands vs the tuba in one, accessories in the other with the bone on my back.

And I'm not schlepping a hand truck for everything... Yet.

The leather handles on the Gard bag are quite nice, though.
F Schmidt 2103 BBb, Laskey 30G US
Wessex TE360P Bombino Eb, Perantucci PT-84S
JP274MKII Euphonium, Tucci RT-7C
Various slide things
Three Valves

Post by Three Valves »

Kevbach33 wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 2:53 pm
My smaller bad is a Gard, I agree.

I’d love a custom but spending $600-$800+ on a really swell bag to carry a -$2k tuba may be a little silly.

I would be stylin’ though! :smilie8:
Thought Criminal
Mack Brass Artiste
TU422L with TU25
Sousaswag

Post by Sousaswag »

Three Valves wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 3:52 pm
Kevbach33 wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 2:53 pm
My smaller bad is a Gard, I agree.

I’d love a custom but spending $600-$800+ on a really swell bag to carry a -$2k tuba may be a little silly.

I would be stylin’ though! :smilie8:
This. 100% agreed!
Meinl Weston 2165
B&M CC
Willson 3200RZ-5
Holton 340
Holton 350
Pan-American Eb
King Medium Eb