Hand & forearm pains...

Tubas, euphoniums, mouthpieces, and anything music-related.
Forum rules
This section is for posts that are directly related to performance, performers, or equipment. Social issues are allowed, as long as they are directly related to those categories. If you see a post that you cannot respond to with respect and courtesy, we ask that you do not respond at all.
Peach

Hand & forearm pains...

Post by Peach »

Hi.
For those who've suffered with right hand &/or forearm discomfort; RSI; Tendinitis etc, how have you managed and minimised the issue?
I think my trouble is that I have smaller hands, and spend probably 75% of my playing on my 3+1 Eb. Then I pick up my piston Bb and my RH pinky is getting stressed.
In the past I've had rotary instruments, and never noticed any issue, but then I was younger! 😀

Any thoughts welcomed.
Disclaimer - obvs I'll see a doc for real advice; just looking for opinions here. Thanks.
MP

LeMark
Site Admin

Re: Hand & forearm pains...

Post by LeMark »

I had numbness and tingling at one point in my life, and it went away when I focused on keeping my wrist from bending while I played. Maybe try playing with a wrist brace and see if that helps?
Yep, I'm Mark
BRS

Post by BRS »

Last edited by BRS on Thu Mar 21, 2024 6:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mary Ann

Post by Mary Ann »

You could check your wrist angle --- the reason I didn't buy a Yamaha piston F at the very beginning is that even on play testing it was killing my wrist; its design assumes a very long torso. (Otherwise I'd probably still have that tuba.) I have ergonomic trouble with top pistons too, and I have ended up with rotaries. Different stuff is going to work for different people, I think. I've run into problems with the pinky hook on horns, and also with the weight of an oboe or English horn on my right thumb. Both of those situations, I had to find other ways to support the instrument (flipper for the horn, The Hook for the double reeds) in order to take stress off my hands. So -- try stuff, and you'll find something that works.
bone-a-phone

Post by bone-a-phone »

I've had left forearm and hand problems from disks in my neck impinging on nerves. Steroid shot knocked it down a lot. Next step is surgery if necessary. Also, I found losing some weight helped me as well.
Paulver

Post by Paulver »

Carpal Tunnel???
Casca Grossa

Post by Casca Grossa »

I have thyroid disease. One fun side effect is hand pain. That includes while I am not trying to play tuba. Playing the tuba is when I experience the most pain, though. I have found that very small bore, rotary valve tubas help quite a bit. I have had my hands examined—no arthritis or carpal tunnel. I have moved to a Mirafone 184, and I can play longer with less pain.
These users thanked the author Casca Grossa for the post:
Peach (Sat Feb 10, 2024 8:05 am)
Mirafone 184 CC
Blokepiece Imperial
Soon to be 5 valve Lignatone/Amati Eb
Blokepiece Solo
Peach

Post by Peach »

BRS wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 8:07 am Which model BBb?

Have you tried lighter springs? Larger diameter buttons for less reach? Repositioning the thumb ring if using one?

On occasion I’ve added tabs on the fourth button for people to reduce reach.
Thanks for the replies.
My discomfort isn't too bad - I just want to keep it to a minimum and hope to prevent it becoming a problem since I know these things can take forever to calm down if they get severe.

I have access to a King 2341, and Wessex Viverna & Prokofiev.
All have light springs and obvs the valveset is physically bigger on the Wessex models, but they do have giant fingerbuttons, which must help.
I previously spent time with a Fafner piston, and a PT-6 piston, both with MW 'Big-Valves' and that was just a no-no for me.

I'm pretty good about posture, partly since I also get a bad back if I don't position myself in a central, balanced position...

A friend can has a Cerveny he will loan me for a short time so I can have a good go on rotors again to check.
Meanwhile, I'm doing basic stretching exercises for arms & hands.
Thanks!