"shop rate"

Projects, repair topics, and Frankentubas
bloke
Mid South Music

"shop rate"

Post by bloke »

As a (I know: tiresome) reminder, I'm not a tech, I'm not an employee, I'm not a "journeyman" nor a "master", and I don't belong to any guilds.
I also (after having been invited by someone) usually end up unsubscribing to instrument-repair fb pages. (yuk...sheesh)

Years ago, I decided to (generally) tie in my rates for repairs which take hours - rather than "minutes" or "a minute" - with automobile shop rates.

The auto repair dealer rates are around $30 higher, so - when I'm expected to *fetch/write up quotes/await approval/finish the work by XX/XX/XX, and then wait to be paid, I charge roughly auto "dealership" rates. When it's an individual customer, I charge roughly what (the most highly-rated) independent garages charge.

Obviously I reserve the right to do free work (for people who've done me favors, for people who I suspect are really struggling financially, misc. other reasons), and - in the past - for "hot babes" 👩 ...but - these days - "hot babes" have to pay as much as anyone else.

If a few/some people don't raise their eyebrows (even for just an instant) yet no one turns around and walks out, I figure my rates are just about right.

something else:
I DO (ALWAYS) warn people when their repair cost is going to exceed the market value of the subsequently-playable instrument.

---------------------------------------------------------
*We recently picked up a Yamaha baritone sax which was knocked over (for the X-teenth time) and charged a repair price of something like $350 (multiple issues, but a not-all-that-difficult-to-repair bloke-things, and neither were the Mrs. bloke things). Taxpayer-responsibly, the band director had rejected "the big music store's" repair quote of well more than double that amount.

bloke "Taxpayers to not need to be purchasing Yamaha baritone saxophones for any schools - much less middle schools."

gocsick

Re: "shop rate"

Post by gocsick »

My brass guy charges $75/hr so rates. The only problem is usually I have to fight him to get him to actually take it. I walk in with something "simple".... He spends 15 minutes fixing it, then half an hour BSing and then I have to argue with him to charge me for half an hour.

Not sure how he makes money.
Last edited by gocsick on Wed Jan 31, 2024 7:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
These users thanked the author gocsick for the post:
bloke (Wed Jan 31, 2024 4:12 pm)
As amateur as they come...I know just enough to be dangerous.

Meinl-Weston 20
Holton Medium Eb 3+1
Holton Collegiate Sousas in Eb and BBb
40s York Bell Front Euphonium
Schiller Elite Euphonium
Yamaha YSL-352 Trombone
Olds Ambassador Trumpet & Cornet
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

I b.s. while working - and before/after, but not with the clock running.
I try to be sensitive regarding customers who do not have the time to chat, and allow them to go on their way (without them having to say to me something like, "I'm really sorry, but I've got to go" (etc.)

I don't work a solid 8-hour day, but I may well put it more then 10 hours (between breakfast and conking out at night).

again: I only charge for when I'm working...I suspect your guy (if I read your response correctly) does the same...or even is more casual than that about charging for their time.

Back when I had a brick-and-mortar store, sold more stuff, and rented more stuff, I was more casual - than I am these days - about charging for my time.

Institutional pickups/deliveries/writing up quotes/waiting to be paid - though - ALL cost time, so I make sure that they ALSO cost money.
Dents Be Gone!

Post by Dents Be Gone! »

I agree, guys. This is the way to go.
Last edited by Dents Be Gone! on Wed May 01, 2024 11:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

Of course, I adjust my "rates" when I see that things at the stores cost more or suddenly a whole lot more. There's no limit of demand. Bit by bit over the years, I've also raised charges based on how quickly I can get things done, because frankly I'm pretty fast. I'm glad I'm fast, because I don't find this work particularly fascinating anymore. LOL
Even when putting things together from my own use - or altering instruments that I already own, I'm not into the moment, and I'm only thinking about when it's done, so that I can play it.

I can talk and work. I don't see why anyone can't, but - if I'm stopping to show a customer something interesting - I'm not going to charge them for that time.

Since I'm my own boss, I charge some people less - either because I suspect that they are really struggling, or because I might believe that I owe them a favor. I try really hard to remember when someone has done something really nice for me, when they're asking me to do something for them.
MikeS

Post by MikeS »

I know this is not new, but I still find it amusing.

These users thanked the author MikeS for the post:
bloke (Wed Feb 14, 2024 2:51 pm)
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

I believe I've seen that with "jf you laugh" as one of the choices.