Brazing wire

Projects, repair topics, and Frankentubas
arpthark

Brazing wire

Post by arpthark »

Ferree's is expensive and the stuff I can find online seems to be much too thick...

Any recommendations?

bloke
Mid South Music

Re: Brazing wire

Post by bloke »

arpthark wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 11:42 am Ferree's is expensive and the stuff I can find online seems to be much too thick...

Any recommendations?
Is Ferree's priced at more than $1 per inch?

Allied - sold by length
Ferrees - sold by weight
- hard to compare
- roughly the same

I just bought 35 feet (1/20th inch diameter) for 85¢/ft...
...but I'm a scrounger, and try to avoid "catalogs".
arpthark

Post by arpthark »

bloke wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 12:18 pm
arpthark wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 11:42 am Ferree's is expensive and the stuff I can find online seems to be much too thick...

Any recommendations?
Is Ferree's priced at more than $1 per inch?

Allied - sold by length
Ferrees - sold by weight
- hard to compare
- roughly the same

I just bought 35 feet (1/20th inch diameter) for 85¢/ft...
...but I'm a scrounger, and try to avoid "catalogs".
As am I, and I get rankled when I can't find a deal, but I have a project I'm working on. Ended up with some from Amazon for $37/oz which was about half the price of Ferree's with shipping included. 1/16" diameter, which may be a mite bit thick?
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

What I bought was someone's leftover 5 oz for $35. If it ends up being usable, great.
Last edited by bloke on Thu Feb 22, 2024 5:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
travisd

Post by travisd »

Do you have a local welding gas distributor? That seems like the kind of thing they would have in stock.. and if they don't sell a lot of it, might not have felt the effects of inflation yet...

Bonus is you might even be able to handle it beforehand to be sure it's the right size.
arpthark

Post by arpthark »

travisd wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 12:00 pm Do you have a local welding gas distributor? That seems like the kind of thing they would have in stock.. and if they don't sell a lot of it, might not have felt the effects of inflation yet...

Bonus is you might even be able to handle it beforehand to be sure it's the right size.
Oh, good idea. There are quite a few near me. I already sprung for the Amazon stuff but good to keep in mind.
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

I use that stuff up really slowly...unless I become involved in some (ill-advised?) patching of some large tuba body component with a bunch of cracks.

...Those bands that secure/support the connection between a saxophone stack and the saxophone bottom bow...

...A lady and her (beginner) son came out to look at some saxes (to get out of renting).

We had a couple of nice saxes for them to try, but - because they don't honk with as little work as the Chinese (model 26) Yamaha they're renting, he didn't like them...

...so (since we have a bloke-re-lacquered (early vintage) Japanese model 21...yet not put back together) Mrs. bloke (not wishing to lose a sale) is going to stick that pretty/new-looking instrument together and sell it to them.

That ring had (when she spread the circle just a bit to install it) cracked (in half). After wiring down the (lead-soldered) guard brace attached to it, I used about 1/8" length of (maybe 1/16th inch diameter) silver solder brazing it back together. :smilie8: (and even a little bit of that went inside the circle...ie. I used a little bit too much).

Heat the repair area hot enough, re-apply flux one last time prior to applying the brazing wire, and - via that tack - you'll use it up very slowly, whereby the cost won't be that much of a factor.