MaryAnn: Messina Bag Photos

Tubas, euphoniums, mouthpieces, and anything music-related.
Forum rules
This section is for posts that are directly related to performance, performers, or equipment. Social issues are allowed, as long as they are directly related to those categories. If you see a post that you cannot respond to with respect and courtesy, we ask that you do not respond at all.
anadmai

Re: MaryAnn: Messina Bag Photos

Post by anadmai »

Mark wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 3:12 pm
bloke wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 9:12 am Some of us goofballs have stopped using bags, because we've grown weary of dent removal - even when we can do it ourselves.
Agreed. Wasn't it @Rick Denney that coined the term Dent Bag? I have seen that term used in this thread yet.
I remember them being called "Dent Bags" in the early to mid 90s. The biggest dent on my Euphonium is due to said type of bags.

I don't have a DMA, I'm incapable of telling the truth

1906 Henry Distin Euphonium(JUNIOR)
1952 B&H Imperial Trombone(HASTINGS)
2015 Sterling Virtuoso Baritone(MARGARET)
1988 Besson/B&H Sovereign 967(BRAMWELL)
2023 Dillon Eb Bass 981S(ALBERT)
peterbas

Post by peterbas »

Last edited by peterbas on Fri Jun 07, 2024 12:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
These users thanked the author peterbas for the post:
Mary Ann (Thu Feb 22, 2024 7:18 pm)
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

OK. We won't ! :cheers: :thumbsup:
These users thanked the author bloke for the post (total 2):
arpthark (Thu Feb 22, 2024 7:41 pm) • anadmai (Thu Feb 22, 2024 8:22 pm)
Oedipoes

Post by Oedipoes »

bloke wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 6:16 pm The last time I used my bike (wearing a black suit) was when I had a VERY limited time to get from here to here:

- jump on my bike and RIDE (in my black suit, with the tuba on my back) past ALL of the .5 mph cars jammed up on campus
(with a whole bunch of people heard saying to each other: "We should have though of that!")
:thumbsup:
I bike to rehearsals weekly, with the BBb kaisertuba on my back.
Works for me! (with a bag obviously, I have no hard case for it)
I have a bag for my sousaphone as well when we have a marching gig in town, looks a bit like a turtle on a bike from a distance :laugh:

I bike to work daily 20km one-way, so it would be silly for me to take the car out to drive 2km to the band room...
Wally

Post by Wally »

I remember the 1970's when then University of Illinois tuba professor Dan Perantoni would ride across campus on a bike with his tuba in a gig bag on his back! I have used gig bags for nearly 50 years with few problems. Ironically, the worst damage a tuba has suffered was when it rode luggage on a plane while secured in a hard case. The next time I flew with it it rode in a bag and had it's own seat. :tuba:
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

I wasn't crazy about using the bag and I wasn't crazy about using the bag on a bicycle, but - without that strategy - I couldn't possibly have made it past at least a mile of cars jammed up in a major American University campus to the basketball arena in the center of the campus, and done so by time to start playing - given the time I had between the end of the last gig (80 miles away) in the beginning of that gig.

I still have all of my California bags, but they're pulled out only one I have to use them for some reason such as the above. My largest thinnest tuba has no matching accommodating bag, and will not.