stands

Tubas, euphoniums, mouthpieces, and anything music-related.
Forum rules
This section is for posts that are directly related to performance, performers, or equipment. Social issues are allowed, as long as they are directly related to those categories. If you see a post that you cannot respond to with respect and courtesy, we ask that you do not respond at all.
bloke
Mid South Music

Re: stands

Post by bloke »

I've refilled my black ink cartridges with India ink...
Until they ACTUALLY start getting worn (maybe a dozen or more refillings), they work great.

...but (again) actually publisher PRINTED (not printer-printed) music is the best and LARGER THAN 8-1/2 x 11.

bloke "so why not play one of those plastic tubas? They have four valves and play all the notes...??" (etc.)

peterbas

Post by peterbas »

Last edited by peterbas on Fri Jun 07, 2024 12:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

Yeah, you showed me one for double what I was willing to pay that's offered for sale by a shade tree Chinese place. There is still the problem of them falling and breaking, vs. the sheet music - which is very unlikely to break when it falls, along with the light coming from behind the music - rather than shining on the music. They're just not good, unless somebody's willing to put up with a bunch of crap and pay a bunch of money.

"They will store an entire library of sheet music."
I just am not able to build up my playing endurance to that level.

A lot of people put up with a lot of crap. Look at the sorts of rulers that a whole bunch of American cities and states - and virtually all European countries - allow to rise to power...
... and again, the electric car thing. Why not an electric dinner fork?
Rick Denney
Resident Genius

Post by Rick Denney »

peterbas wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 5:40 am
Rick Denney wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 5:19 pm
peterbas wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 4:38 pm I don't see any difference, if it falls bell down = bell will be smashed.

Would it be any better in a gig bag?

Rick “again: it’s not a flight case” Denney
It would be 10 kg lighter and 500 dollars cheaper.
My last gig bags were nearly the same price as Thomann is showing for this case.

But, yes, it’s lighter. On the other hand, it has to be because it doesn’t have wheels.

Rick “has never gotten so many dents as with light and cheap gig bags” Denney
peterbas

Post by peterbas »

Last edited by peterbas on Fri Jun 07, 2024 1:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
peterbas

Post by peterbas »

Last edited by peterbas on Fri Jun 07, 2024 12:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
travisd

Post by travisd »

bone-a-phone wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 2:53 pm

I love the idea of letting go of the printer, but you've got to have a scanner, and not just one for individual sheets, but also books and large format stuff. I love the idea of never losing a sheet of paper or getting them out of order, but can you imagine the tech support of showing (guys older than me) how to run a piece of technology like that?
Scanner? The apps like forScore let you scan using the camera built into the device. When a new piece of music appears on the stand I scan it, add it, then stick it back in the band's folder that stays in the milk crate in the rehearsal room. If you can take a picture, you can scan.
These users thanked the author travisd for the post (total 2):
peterbas (Fri Feb 23, 2024 9:04 am) • LibraryMark (Fri Feb 23, 2024 11:56 am)
Mary Ann

Post by Mary Ann »

Quit squabbling.
These users thanked the author Mary Ann for the post (total 2):
the elephant (Sun Mar 03, 2024 12:16 pm) • MN_TimTuba (Sun Mar 03, 2024 4:16 pm)
bone-a-phone

Post by bone-a-phone »

travisd wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 8:26 am
Scanner? The apps like forScore let you scan using the camera built into the device. When a new piece of music appears on the stand I scan it, add it, then stick it back in the band's folder that stays in the milk crate in the rehearsal room. If you can take a picture, you can scan.
Well, I'll tell you what. When I walk into my next church job where a choir director hands out wavy out of focus photos on an undersized tablet, I'll just turn around and go home. Technology is great, but it has to develop to a certain threshold. If you want to put up with that kind of thing for your own use, that's one thing. But the tech is not yet ready for professional prime-time.

How about that PDF recognition stuff on Musescore?
Last edited by bone-a-phone on Fri Feb 23, 2024 1:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

My feshunul friends who use tablets have all of the printed music under their chairs.

I could see a pro-tablet argument for outdoor use with a breeze or a wind, but ANY stand can be blown over.
Some of you think that your fatter-gauge bases will defeat a 10 or 15 mph wind, but not in my experience, and that includes non-collapsible "indoor"-style stands, and your solid decks - or even your decks (on your - then - not-as-portable stands) with some 1-inch holes in them - are still far more likely to be blown over then wire, because (well, duh) they catch more wind. (...and please don't lay any physicist stuff on me, I base "what I view as truth" on consistent experience - ie. My OWN countless dozens of "scientific experiments", and not on tricky "but what if" thought-to-be math problems.) About the only way to prevent any stand from being blown over is to put two of the three stand feet towards the wind, and anchor them with (two) full-size cinder blocks, but I've actually seen this be defeated as well.

I wouldn't give a crap if the orchestra's tablet hit the ground, but I wouldn't want mine hitting the ground.

To summarize, any outdoor gig - where there are ANY sorts of music stands and ANY sort of wind - is to define that gig as ridiculous/comical, and nearly 100% likely to feature incidents.
arpthark

Post by arpthark »

Can't we just do an electronic version of a stand?

Maybe a hologram, with the music already projected?
These users thanked the author arpthark for the post:
Mary Ann (Sat Feb 24, 2024 9:29 am)
Blake
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

arpthark wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 1:04 pm Can't we just do an electronic version of a stand?

Maybe a hologram, with the music already projected?
I have often imagined some of those weird electronic goggles whereby people see an alternate form of the universe and wander around, sometimes injuring themselves, but what if the sheet music staves floated by as they do on YouTube videos, kept in sync by listening to what the sound input, and there also being a camera so that - behind the moving staves - the conductor could be seen. It wouldn't be a very patron-friendly visage, would it?

This is actually something that I've thought of, and I just put it out there so that people don't think that I'm someone who always tries to reach back to the Stone Age.

bloke "Believe it or not, I've actually listened to and made digital recordings, and have been on the internet. :bugeyes: "
These users thanked the author bloke for the post:
anadmai (Sun Mar 03, 2024 6:57 am)
anadmai

Post by anadmai »

bloke wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 1:07 pm
I have often imagined some of those weird electronic goggles
forScore has an app for the new Vision Pro. It looks incredible.
These users thanked the author anadmai for the post:
rodgeman (Sun Mar 03, 2024 3:50 pm)
I don't have a DMA, I'm incapable of telling the truth

1906 Henry Distin Euphonium(JUNIOR)
1952 B&H Imperial Trombone(HASTINGS)
2015 Sterling Virtuoso Baritone(MARGARET)
1988 Besson/B&H Sovereign 967(BRAMWELL)
2023 Dillon Eb Bass 981S(ALBERT)