intruments and mouthpieces are important (fair warning: a "preachy" tone)

Tubas, euphoniums, mouthpieces, and anything music-related.
Forum rules
This section is for posts that are directly related to performance, performers, or equipment. Social issues are allowed, as long as they are directly related to those categories. If you see a post that you cannot respond to with respect and courtesy, we ask that you do not respond at all.
bloke
Mid South Music

Re: intruments and mouthpieces are important (fair warning: a "preachy" tone)

Post by bloke »

BRS wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 10:17 am Photos can be funny in how perspective can misrepresent reality. I’m sure the very good folks at Miraphone could answer a lot a these questions, but it’s all idle wondering on my part, so why bother them. I do really think these two share some DNA.
He's sitting so very close to a model 98 (on the floor, next to him) that he's at risk of denting it with that prototype.

bloke
Mid South Music

Re: intruments and mouthpieces are important (fair warning: a "preachy" tone)

Post by bloke »

BRS wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 10:17 am Photos can be funny in how perspective can misrepresent reality. I’m sure the very good folks at Miraphone could answer a lot a these questions, but it’s all idle wondering on my part, so why bother them. I do really think these two share some DNA.
I tend to view a 19.5mm bore valveset - on a piston tuba - as a bridge too far.
(yes...I'm aware of the c. 19.5mm bore valveset on the Conn 2XJ (shelved, btw) models. I'm also aware that you lovers of those are out there. I'll work on them, but I've actually only ever bought/flipped ONE of them...and there've been plenty out there, over the decades.)

With rotors, cutting the bore - over-and-over - down to a "D" shape adds a good bit of resistance; thus the larger bore sizes found with those.