NABBA Championships places

GC

NABBA Championships places

Post by GC »

NABBA Championships are April 4-5 at the Von Braun Center in Huntsville, Alabama. There are, according to the contest schedule, 8 Championship Section bands, 7 First Section, 14 (!) Second Section, 6 Third Section, and 1 Youth Championship, 1 Youth 1st Section, and 2 Youth Open bands (a couple of youth bands are competing in 3rd section).

Championship, First, and Second sections play their test piece on Friday and their Own Choice pieces on Saturday. Third and Youth sections play both pieces on Saturday. Solo and Ensemble contests are Friday morning before the bands begin.

https://nabba.org/championships/
Last edited by GC on Sun Apr 07, 2024 6:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Packer/Sterling JP377 compensating Eb; Mercer & Barker MBUZ5 (Tim Buzbee "Lone ☆ Star" F-tuba mouthpiece), Mercer & Barker MB3; for sale: Conn Monster Eb 1914, Fillmore Bros 1/4 Eb ca. 1905 antique (still plays), Bach 42B trombone
Doc

Re: NABBA Championships

Post by Doc »

Wish I could be there!
These users thanked the author Doc for the post:
GC (Thu Mar 14, 2024 1:10 pm)
Welcome to Browntown!
Home of the Brown Note!
GC

Post by GC »

Wish you could, too.

I'd hate to be a 2nd Section judge on Friday, listening to the test piece 14 times in a row. :drool:
Packer/Sterling JP377 compensating Eb; Mercer & Barker MBUZ5 (Tim Buzbee "Lone ☆ Star" F-tuba mouthpiece), Mercer & Barker MB3; for sale: Conn Monster Eb 1914, Fillmore Bros 1/4 Eb ca. 1905 antique (still plays), Bach 42B trombone
GC

Post by GC »

NABBA Championships begin tomorrow. On Friday, Solo & Ensemble competition begins in the morning. Test pieces for Second, First, and Championship sections begin around 2 pm in both auditoriums. Solo and Ensemble awards are that evening after test pieces conclude.

On Saturday, Own Choice pieces for Championship, First, and Second sections, plus Test and Own Choice pieces for Third and Youth sections begin between 8 and 9am. The final performance of the evening is the Youth Championship section band, followed by the band awards.

Links for You Tube videos are at https://www.youtube.com/results?search_ ... ssociation. If you search for NABBA on You Tube you get body builders. At this moment there are links for the Saturday Concert Hall and links for the Playhouse for both days. There doesn't seem to be one for the Concert Hall for Friday as I type this.
These users thanked the author GC for the post (total 2):
jtm (Fri Apr 05, 2024 9:22 pm) • Doc (Fri Apr 05, 2024 11:41 pm)
jtm

Re: NABBA Championships this weekend

Post by jtm »

My second section band played the test piece late in the day (surely the judges had enough by then), but we play very early Saturday for choice piece, so I’m looking forward to enjoying lots of bands after that without any stress.
These users thanked the author jtm for the post:
Doc (Fri Apr 05, 2024 11:41 pm)
John Morris
This practicing trick actually seems to be working!
playing some old German rotary tubas for free
Doc

Post by Doc »

jtm wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 9:20 pm My second section band played the test piece late in the day (surely the judges had enough by then), but we play very early Saturday for choice piece, so I’m looking forward to enjoying lots of bands after that without any stress.
I listened to the live streams. Y’all set the bar very high for the rest of the day.

I don’t yet see results posted, but there were some really superb bands, with the Texas bands bringing top shelf performances. Makes me wish we would go.

Looking forward to seeing you next month!
These users thanked the author Doc for the post:
jtm (Sun Apr 07, 2024 9:14 pm)
Welcome to Browntown!
Home of the Brown Note!
GC

Post by GC »

I'm not sure that I have all the points correct, but here goes.

Championship
1) James Madison University 94.2
2) Fountain City 94.083
3) Five Lakes 92.633

1st Section
1) San Francisco 95.95
2) Arkansas Musicworks 93.3
3) Colorado 92.617

2nd Section
1) Massanutten 94.117
2) Cincinnati 93.483
3) Huntsville 91.5

3rd Section
1) Fountain City Youth 84.717
2) Cherry Blossom 81.7
3) Motor City Academy 75.85

Youth Championship Section
1) Watson Brass Band no score announced

Youth First Section
1) Triangle Youth no score announced

Youth Open Section (corrected, I got the order backward at first)
1) Triangle Youth Academy 77.333
2) Huntsville Youth Brass Academy 75.667
These users thanked the author GC for the post:
Doc (Sun Apr 07, 2024 6:30 pm)
jtm

Post by jtm »

Doc wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 3:50 pm
jtm wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 9:20 pm My second section band played the test piece late in the day (surely the judges had enough by then), but we play very early Saturday for choice piece, so I’m looking forward to enjoying lots of bands after that without any stress.
I listened to the live streams. Y’all set the bar very high for the rest of the day.

I don’t yet see results posted, but there were some really superb bands, with the Texas bands bringing top shelf performances. Makes me wish we would go.

Looking forward to seeing you next month!
I'm so glad you were able to watch, Doc. Some of the Dallas and San Antonio folks showed up first thing in the morning to cheer, which we really appreciated!

As someone who never ever expected to be doing band contests after high school, I have some reservations about this kind of competition, and also about the music that's played at them (and that exists because of them). Still, everyone there was friendly and supportive, and I think the experience was good for helping our band feel more like a team than a pickup group. I had a good time and look forward to going again in a couple years.

I got to drive within about 20 miles of @bloke-place on the way home. Very pretty country.
These users thanked the author jtm for the post:
Doc (Sun Apr 07, 2024 11:54 pm)
John Morris
This practicing trick actually seems to be working!
playing some old German rotary tubas for free
arpthark

Re: NABBA Championships places

Post by arpthark »

Reading about band contest scores gives me a vague anxiety that I haven't felt since I was in competitive high school marching band...

Although I can see how it would be fun if you are into that sort of thing. Congrats to the participants!
These users thanked the author arpthark for the post:
jtm (Mon Apr 08, 2024 8:09 am)
GC

Re: NABBA Championships places

Post by GC »

Full band results are up on the NABBA.org championships page. Full score sheet recaps are not up yet. I don't know if they're doing that again this year. Time will tell.