First Mouthpiece Purchase

Tubas, euphoniums, mouthpieces, and anything music-related.
Forum rules
This section is for posts that are directly related to performance, performers, or equipment. Social issues are allowed, as long as they are directly related to those categories. If you see a post that you cannot respond to with respect and courtesy, we ask that you do not respond at all.
bbuxx2026
Lurker
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

First Mouthpiece Purchase

Post by bbuxx2026 »

I am an 11th-grade student. My tuba is a Jupiter 1110, I am currently looking for a durable mouthpiece that will ideally accompany me through my collegiate years as a music major. I got my first mouthpiece in the 5th grade inheriting my father's Conn 7B, which he played mainly during his college years in the late 90s. Recently, my musical exploration expanded when my grandmother discovered additional mouthpieces from my father's collection, including the Schilke SH and Yamaha 67C4 which were all healvy dinged up but loved. After thorough experimentation, I gravitated towards the Schilke, as it notably enhanced my range from F within the staff to Bb above and down to a low C. Although the Yamaha 67C4 amplified my volume, and clarity in the lower register. The Schilke's Helleberg-style rim appealed to me with its sharpness and tactile sensation. Despite trying the school's Bach 22 mouthpiece, which shares a similar rim width with the Schilke, I found it to lack the same articulation and sharpness in the rim I had grown accustomed to. Consequently, I am hoping to get insight and recommendations for a mouthpiece with a rim akin to the sharpness of the Schilke while possessing a broader width akin to the Yamaha 67C4. Any insights or suggestions based on your expertise would be greatly appreciated.

Jupiter 1110 (Schilke Helleberg)
E.M Winston 525L (Denis Wick 6BY)
King 3B (Bach 7C)
Heavy_Metal

Re: First Mouthpiece Purchase

Post by Heavy_Metal »

There are a whole bunch of mouthpiece possibilities. Since you like Helleberg-types:

The 7B Helleberg has a rim diameter of 31.5 mm/1.240" and a throat of 8.5mm/0.334"

The SH has a rim diameter of 31.84 mm/1.253" and a throat of 8.33 mm/.328".

Both the Conn Hellebergs have "medium-deep" cup depths. ISTR the SH is a bit shallower but don't have any documentation.

The 67C4 has a rim of 32.06mm/1.26" and a throat of 8.1mm/0.319".

You might look at the Conn Helleberg 120S, which is a bit bigger than the 7B and 67C4- rim 32.5mm/1.279", throat 8.1mm/0.319". It's also fairly inexpensive compared to some others, in case that's a consideration.

Then there's our very own @bloke 's "Sellmansberg II" which I like very much. He talks about them here:

viewtopic.php?t=5850

and is considering doing one with a slightly smaller throat.

Your best bet would be to find a music store in your area that stocks mouthpieces and will let you try them. if we know where you're located, we might be able to suggest such a place.
Principal tuba, Bel Air Community Band
Old (early 1900s?) Alexander BBb proto-163
1976 Sonora (B&S 101) 4-rotor BBb
1964 Conn 20J/21J BBb (one body, both bells)
1970s Marzan Slant-rotor BBb
~1904 York 3P BBb Helicon
Old Alex Comp.F, in shop
BRS

Post by BRS »

Last edited by BRS on Thu Mar 21, 2024 7:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

If any of those you own aren't nicked up from mishaps, go through them and see which one seems to sound best.

Go with it until you have a chance to TRY other things.

Don't rush into BUYING another thing (if you only try ONE other thing at a time - even it it seems to SOUND a little better right off the bat...and particularly not if it costs a good bit of your parents' money)...

...but NOTICE the INSIDE SHAPE differences, and make a mental note of them.

At that point, you have taken one tiny step towards learning about mouthpieces and how they relate to you - as an individual player.

band directors (who've only played the particular type of instrument in a college "brass" or "woodwinds" education course) and online freak juries - who tell school children - "You NEED THIS mouthpiece, in particular"...ugghh
Mary Ann

Post by Mary Ann »

I don't know if you've found this yet:
https://www.dwerden.com/Mouthpieces/tuba.cfm

There are SO many out there, and it can be overwhelming (and very expensive) to try to pick the "best one." And the best one now might not be even in the ballpark if you get a new tuba.

Every mouthpiece is a compromise. You have to figure out what direction you want to compromise -- if you have an innately good high range, then you'd pick a cup that helps the low range. If you have an innately good low range, then you'd pick a cup that helps the high range. If clean articulation is more important than slurring, you'd pick a sharper rim good for that. Etc!!

So the advice is to wait until you get to college, when you might even have a different instrument that would work better with a different mouthpiece than one that is best for your current instrument and level of development. There would be many more to try for free at that point in time. Or you could take a gamble and spring for a good custom one now, but if you don't like it, it's money down the drain and another cup sitting in the box o' cups that all of us have. All of the ones you have are good mouthpieces, just different from each other.
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

Having played for 56 years, ALL of my mouthpieces - for ALL of my instruments - are only "THE BEST ones that I've found SO FAR".f

One of them - I'm quite certain - needs "something better"...even though that one has some super-duper-baritone-horn-star's name on it (and yes, I mostly play tubas).
The Big Ben

Post by The Big Ben »

I had a Schlke Helleberg and it was great. Then it got stolen.

I'd suggest at least trying another non-Helleberg MP. Try a bowl shaped MP like a Bach 18. You tried a 22 but did you give it a good workout.Your band director probably has on you can borrow for awhile. They respond differently and you might like it. If you don't have to buy one to try it, all the better.

You have quite the selection of MPs which were in a drawer. Bloke's suggestion of finding one you think you like better and playing it for awhile a good idea. If you still like it after playing it for a week or so, change back to your original MP and see what you think.

Playing the MP dance can be very expensive!