Holton 345 Redux

Projects, repair topics, and Frankentubas
the elephant

Re: Holton 345 Redux

Post by the elephant »

After three weeks of a nasty case of our global good friend Coronavirus SARS-CoV-2 and three weeks of slow recuperation, I had to have surgery on my sinuses. This was done on Thursday the 14th and I have been down with all of the recovery mess since. I have another week and a half before I am allowed to take up the tuba again. I am not working in my shop again until this coming weekend. By that time I ought to finally have the post-COVID-dizziness (etc.) behind me for good, and no longer have blood dripping out of my nose. (Gross…)

I plan on removing the valve section and subjecting it to a thorough cleanup of all joints and any remaining solder pads from braces I moved or deleted. I will then do a thorough chem flush and hand polish job and set it aside.

I want to wang the bell rim flat. This tuba has always rocked a bit because the rim is a little wonky. I have not fixed it because it is not an easy rim to tweak — the wire is thick and strong.

After the bell makes me happy and the bugle is all cleaned up, I suspect I may buff it out for lacquer and apply a few coats of Nikolas out of a spray rig I have. I would have to practice a bunch first, though, as the last time I used this rig was about ten years ago. It is sure easier to lay down a flawless coating with it compared with rattle-can lacquer. With no valve section, it ought to be pretty easy to do, too. I will leave the inside of the bell silver, though. It looks cool, and I do not want to sand the bell on both faces.

I can't believe I am going to sell my BABY, though. I love this tuba. It is just too dang heavy for me, these days, and I am certain that this will not become easier as I age. So it has to go.

Eventually, someone who wants an original bell 345 is going to get a great tuba…

Here it is next to bloke's infamous 2165W ("weaponized"). Note that the 2165 is lacquered, and the Holton (on the left) is raw brass. It looks good enough to lacquer. Does anyone care to express an opinion on whether I ought to spray this bugle or leave it unlacquered? Give me your opinion below!

bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

That tricked-out Holton should bring some serious cabbage. :thumbsup:

(commenting for the lack of a "THANK" button, and making sure that this thread remains at the top)
Sousaswag

Post by Sousaswag »

Personally, I’d leave it unlacquered. If someone wants to mod it anymore, they’d ruin the pretty lacquer. Let that horn develop a nice dark patina!

Maybe this is just me, but now that I’ve had two horns worked on, I’d actually prefer raw brass. You can’t possibly screw it up!
Meinl Weston 2165
B&M CC
Willson 3200RZ-5
Holton 340
Pan-American Eb
King Medium Eb
prairieboy1

Post by prairieboy1 »

Please leave your Holton unlacquered! Thanks!! :tuba:
1916 Holton "Mammoth" 3 valve BBb Upright Bell Tuba
1935 King "Symphony" Bass 3 valve BBb Tuba
1998 King "2341" 4 valve BBb Tuba
1970 Yamaha "321" 4 valve BBb Tuba (Yard Goat)