Wessex Helicon

Tubas, euphoniums, mouthpieces, and anything music-related.
Forum rules
This section is for posts that are directly related to performance, performers, or equipment. Social issues are allowed, as long as they are directly related to those categories. If you see a post that you cannot respond to with respect and courtesy, we ask that you do not respond at all.
Tim Jackson

Wessex Helicon

Post by Tim Jackson »

https://us.wessex-tubas.com/products/bbb-helicon-hb24

Just wondering who has one of these and how they play. I would go for the 3-valve lacquer. Hard to get excited about these without some idea how they play - say vs a good sousaphone.

Thanks for the reviews and thoughts.

Tim

edfirth
Has thanked: 0

Re: Wessex Helicon

Post by edfirth »

Tim, I think Bill (Doc) has one and has posted himself playing it. Sounds great! The video is on here somewhere but you could probably shoot him a PM and ask him what he thinks. Best, Ed
Three Valves

Post by Three Valves »

AFAIK they only make 4v in either the BBb or the Eb.

They are easier to hold, play well and have a unique visual appeal.

I went with a 36k. :tuba:
Thought Criminal
Mack Brass Artiste
TU422L with TU25
1964 Conn 36k with CB Arnold Jacobs
Accent (By B&S) 952R with Bach12
The Fourth Estate is the Fifth Column
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

Bill Holt @Doc has one, and I think he likes his a lot.
It appears to be a thing that they made using the parts from their copy of a conn 28k sousaphone.

This next statement relies on a whole bunch of if thens, but if their copy of a 28k is accurate, and if they trimmed a couple of circuits the same way that I trimmed them on the last 28k I worked on, and if the straight bell doesn't change the tuning, that should be a good instrument.
Tim Jackson

Post by Tim Jackson »

Who is the rep for these horns? The website is slow in responding.

Tim
LeMark
Site Admin

Post by LeMark »

The easiest thing to do is contact someone like Carl, AKA @UncleBeer on the forum
Yep, I'm Mark
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

I apologize for posting information that was previously posted in the same thread...and yes, Denton Texas.
Kirley

Post by Kirley »

I'm pretty sure Doc has the Eb version.

I have the BBb. Until last year, it was my main horn since getting it in 2018. A very kind gentleman gifted me a Martin helicon from the 20s last year. As most of you'd probably guess, the Martin is a superior instrument in just about every way so the Wessex has taken a back seat.

The good:
-Balance- Helicons sit really nice. Especially the variety, such as these, that don't have the sticky-outy bells. The low center of gravity is a nice change of pace from sousaphones. You can let go and the horn just likes being there. Also, sitting is much more comfy with this thing than with sousies.
-Compactness- When you're tall, having a lower bell really helps. Low ceilings are always a challenge with sousaphones. I'd say that it helps with doorways, too. But what you gain in overhead clearance, you lose a bit in width. So that's a bit of a mixed bag.
-Valve section- The valves have been great. Super smooth and an excellent seal. The layout of the tuning slides and their alignment have all been great.
-Removable bell- It's super handy. Fits in a gig bag. Fits in the trunk.

The bad:
-Bracing- The metal they use is soft. No two ways about it. I had my repair guy replace all of the neck bracing with King hardware. Solid as a rock.
-4th valve- I find the circuit to be just a tad bit long. More in the old tradition of the "register key" than the newer use of the in-tune 1 and 3. Also, they put a water key on the tiny little tuning slide way at the end of the circuit. Almost no chance of water getting all the way over there unless you happened to be in a hula hooping contest. I had my repair guy remove the key from that location and put it right at the beginning of the 4th valve circuit just as it exits the block. You know, where the water collects.
-Intonation- It's not awesome. It's better with a Helleberg than anything else that I've tried. But it's still quirky. D below the staff prefers 3rd valve over 12. Other things just don't quite line up over the overtone series. Luckily the 1st valve slide is easily accessible. I find the whole horn a bit sharp for me. But I tend to be on the sharp side of most horns. Luckily it has a very long tuning slide but I still get to the bottom of it on hot days.
-Directionality- This isn't unique to the Wessex but to helicons in general. Your sound doesn't go where you're looking. It's not a deal breaker but it takes some getting used to. Obviously, if you're using amplification, no big deal. But acoustic gigs you need to be conscious about where you stand/sit and which way you face.

I've never actually seen the 3 valve version in real life. I know they have a photo of it on their site. If it's available, I'd say go for it. Especially if it would knock the price back down. The listed price right now is at least a $1000 more than I paid. But lots of things have changed since 2018.
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

The Chinese B-flat there looks to have a shorter (helicon) bell compared to (as they look to mostly reference) old Conn helicons.

The Conn helicon (which I have played) which was very similar to the 14K Conn sousaphone (I'm pretty sure that I remember) featured a longer bell (than the Chinese one pictured). The Conn was (very) front-heavy, so the Chinese version (likely) is an improvement, in that regard.

WANDERING OFF-TOPIC EVEN MORE...

(not interested in a four-valve contrabass shoulder instrument, and perfectly happy with THREE valves...having owned a 4-valve one for quite a few years)...

I believe (for me...) the ideal B-flat contrabass helicon (were I interested in owning a helicon again, which I'm not) would be an OLD THICK HEAVY King body (intonation/counterweight) mated up with a (new/thinner/avoiding front-heaviness) King 2341 bell.
BopEuph

Post by BopEuph »

bloke wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 12:35 pm...

(not interested in a four-valve contrabass shoulder instrument, and perfectly happy with THREE valves...having owned a 4-valve one for quite a few years)....
I don't miss the extra few notes when I'm playing the kind of gigs I would with those instruments (jazz/funk/commercial). It's just like I don't miss the B string when I play my amazing 4-string P-bass. And unlike a bass, false tones exist on tuba. And intonation isn't too bad on the few times I need those squirrelly valve combinations.
Nick
(This horn list more to remind me what I have than to brag)
1984 Conn 12J
1990s Kanstul 900-4B BBb
1924 Holton 122 Sousa
1972 Holton B300 Euph
If you see a Willson 2900, serial W2177, it's been missing for a long time. Help me bring it home.
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

BopEuph wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 10:51 pm
bloke wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 12:35 pm...

(not interested in a four-valve contrabass shoulder instrument, and perfectly happy with THREE valves...having owned a 4-valve one for quite a few years)....
I don't miss the extra few notes when I'm playing the kind of gigs I would with those instruments (jazz/funk/commercial). It's just like I don't miss the B string when I play my amazing 4-string P-bass. And unlike a bass, false tones exist on tuba. And intonation isn't too bad on the few times I need those squirrelly valve combinations.
re: false tones...particularly excellent with BB-flat sousaphones/helicons
Even with "low" E-flat (when I had a 4-valve sousaphone) I had to reach up and pull out the upper #1 slide (which I engineered into the instrument - which lacked one from the factory) in order to play that pitch flat enough.

again: (shut up, bloke...even though it's true) a 4-valve non-compensating system really doesn't enhance a BB-flat sousaphone(/helicon) very much at all - particularly when a 3-valve system features a tune-on-the-fly #1 (ok, or main) slide.

The webpage shows four valves on the instrument and three on the valveset close-up...
I wonder (??) if the close-up is of the sousaphone version.

The BB-flat helicon has an upper #1 slide, so 1-3 and 1-2-3 are tunable...
me...?? (I probably would have brought the BB-flat helicon to the market with 3 valves, stuck a video on the page of Carl blowing through the (surely great) false tones, a lower price, and some sort of bag-in-a-bag (since schools likely don't buy them), but what do I know?).
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

...but I do understand that people "like" 4 non-compensating valves, so...
...and helicons are cool, because (duh) they sound like tubas, but can be playing standing up.
Finetales

Post by Finetales »

One need only spend a day at Disneyland listening to the sousaphone players in the Disneyland Band pumping out rock-solid low Ebs, Ds, and Dbs that anchor the (very loud) band just as much as any other note to realize that a 4th valve on a sousaphone is entirely superfluous.
I mostly play the slidey thing.
Mary Ann

Post by Mary Ann »

Doc must be on holiday or something (hopefully not something worse than that) because he hasn't chipped in.
Doc

Post by Doc »

Duplicate post.
Last edited by Doc on Tue Mar 26, 2024 9:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Welcome to Browntown!
Home of the Brown Note!
Doc

Post by Doc »

I like my Eb helicon. The only problem I have experienced is that one of the bell screw mounts fell off the tenon at TubaChristmas (easy fix). Otherwise, it has been a fun instrument. Really good response, respectable intonation, easy to play. It’s a keeper!

I’ve played the CC 2-3 times, and it is a very nice instrument. Very responsive. Nice sound. Winner, winner, chicken dinner.

I played the BBb last month, and could not find a leadpipe angle that worked. Regardless, I didn’t think it was as good a player as the other two. Not bad, but #3 in the line up.

Here are some samples of the Eb (skip all the talking):

Welcome to Browntown!
Home of the Brown Note!
Mary Ann

Post by Mary Ann »

Aha. You bought that used after Matt had massaged it.
Thanks for the videos.

And nobody got my joke about Doc (being on) holiday.
BopEuph

Post by BopEuph »

Man, Bill, I'll never get tired of your sound.

I've always wondered, though: American tubists seem to insist that helicon is played commonly in blasmusik bands, but I usually see baritone more often than any form of tuba, especially in oberkrainer music. I assume the helicon was more often seen in Czech bands?
Nick
(This horn list more to remind me what I have than to brag)
1984 Conn 12J
1990s Kanstul 900-4B BBb
1924 Holton 122 Sousa
1972 Holton B300 Euph
If you see a Willson 2900, serial W2177, it's been missing for a long time. Help me bring it home.
Doc

Post by Doc »

Mary Ann wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 10:44 am Aha. You bought that used after Matt had massaged it.
Thanks for the videos.

And nobody got my joke about Doc (being on) holiday.
I’m your huckleberry.
Welcome to Browntown!
Home of the Brown Note!
Mary Ann

Post by Mary Ann »

My other comment, because I laughed when you said it is light weight -- and it looks like 100% of that weight is on your shoulder, would be -- if you put about 20% of your body weight on your shoulder like that (as I would be doing) would you still call it light weight? :laugh: