Copper Serpent in D Horst Voigt for sale

Read forum rules before posting.
Forum rules
This is for buying or selling your personal equipment, but sponsored selling is allowed as well. We are requiring all ads to have the following information. Price, (even for trades) Brand, Model, and location (for instruments, not accessories) need to be included in the ad, or at least be very clear in link provided. It is acceptable to link to an external ad if you are promoting a sale of your personal equipment. No Ebay Auctions, but Buy it now listings are fine. Photos are HIGHLY suggested as well. If you see an ad that does not meet these criteria, please report it.
TheBerlinerTuba
specializing in reproductions of historical tubas and restorations

Copper Serpent in D Horst Voigt for sale

Post by TheBerlinerTuba »

Selling my copper with brass trimming Serpent in D made by Horst Voigt. It was from a set of serpents commissioned by the Berlin/Leipzig Radio Orchestras back in the 1970s. It has 6 tone holes and 3 brass keys for B, F# and Eb.
It's in beautiful unlacquered condition with no dents. Since I've owned it, I scanned it with the BIAS software and subsequently modified two of the tone holes to improve the intonation. These modifications were done in my workshop and are almost invisible.
The price is 3500€ and includes the original wooden mouthpiece.
While I enjoy this instrument very much, I also own a wooden Ribo Serpent in C and I prefer to only learn one set of fingerings. Its the same issue for F/Eb or CC/BBb tuba. The copper serpent also has the advantage of not being weather sensitive...
Shipping is fine, but at buyers expense.
Attachments
photo_2023-04-20_12-44-07-min(1).jpg
photo_2023-04-20_12-44-07-min(1).jpg (160.45 KiB) Viewed 1215 times
photo_2023-04-20_12-43-56(1).jpg
photo_2023-04-20_12-43-56(1).jpg (132.68 KiB) Viewed 1215 times
Last edited by TheBerlinerTuba on Sun Feb 04, 2024 4:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
These users thanked the author TheBerlinerTuba for the post (total 2):
Dents Be Gone! (Thu Aug 10, 2023 5:26 pm) • York-aholic (Fri Aug 11, 2023 5:42 am)

arpthark

Re: Copper Serpent in D Horst Voigt for sale

Post by arpthark »

Sorry, but I was looking for a copper serpent in D-flat, so I will have to pass.

Just kidding. What a rare and unusual instrument! I don't think I've seen a serpent made from anything besides leather-bound wood. Do you know why Herr Voigt and co. made these modern serpents from copper?
These users thanked the author arpthark for the post (total 2):
TheBerlinerTuba (Thu Apr 20, 2023 6:18 am) • bloke (Thu Apr 20, 2023 9:16 am)
Blake
TheBerlinerTuba

Come on man, C# is where it's at :smilie8:

Voigt was commissioned by the Berlin and Leipzig Radio Symphony orchestras for a series of Handel's Messiah or something similar, performances with period correct instruments.
They based their serpent off of a copper instrument from one of the German museums(I have to look up which one).
Serpents esp. from the mid 19th century were occasionally made from brass and copper especially in England. I believe there are still 5-6 original examples left worldwide.
I believe it was also a calling card for Voigt. There aren't many shops that can bend copper bows like this and it was a chance to show off their skills.
These users thanked the author TheBerlinerTuba for the post:
jonesbrass (Fri Apr 21, 2023 7:52 am)
arpthark

Post by arpthark »

TheBerlinerTuba wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 6:27 am Come on man, C# is where it's at :smilie8:

Voigt was commissioned by the Berlin and Leipzig Radio Symphony orchestras for a series of Handel's Messiah or something similar, performances with period correct instruments.
They based their serpent off of a copper instrument from one of the German museums(I have to look up which one).
Serpents esp. from the mid 19th century were occasionally made from brass and copper especially in England. I believe there are still 5-6 original examples left worldwide.
I believe it was also a calling card for Voigt. There aren't many shops that can bend copper bows like this and it was a chance to show off their skills.
Very interesting! English copper serpents, who knew.

I always enjoy your stuff. Thanks for sharing, and good look rehoming this snake.
These users thanked the author arpthark for the post:
TheBerlinerTuba (Thu Apr 20, 2023 6:49 am)
Blake
UncleBeer

Post by UncleBeer »

TheBerlinerTuba wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 6:27 am I believe it was also a calling card for Voigt. There aren't many shops that can bend copper bows like this and it was a chance to show off their skills.
I'd be really surprised if they didn't do the bows in halves and braze them together. That's how almost all the York-copy companies do their top bows. Much less labor-intensive.
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

UncleBeer wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 7:33 am
TheBerlinerTuba wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 6:27 am I believe it was also a calling card for Voigt. There aren't many shops that can bend copper bows like this and it was a chance to show off their skills.
I'd be really surprised if they didn't do the bows in halves and braze them together. That's how almost all the York-copy companies do their top bows. Much less labor-intensive.
' pretty sure (on my laptop (ie. larger screen) I'm seeing a seam running along the side, including the largest bow...
UncleBeer

Post by UncleBeer »

bloke wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 9:18 am ' pretty sure (on my laptop (ie. larger screen) I'm seeing a seam running along the side, including the largest bow...
I see that as well, but I don't think that's a definitive indication that it's made in two halves, as if you just rolled up a sheet of copper to fill and bend it, you'd make the seam on the side as well, cuz then you don't have to stress it while bending. The seam then stays the same length, as opposed to if you put it on the inside or outside of the bend. Then it would have to expand/contract, increasing chance of failure. I know from experience. :teeth:
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

ok...it's just as you suspect.

There. That's the end of that. :laugh: :cheers:
TheBerlinerTuba

UncleBeer wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 7:33 am
In Germany, we tend to do bows in two halves when we want to avoid using lead, usually for health concerns or if the weight of the leadfilled piece is an issue. In terms of labor, both are time intensive and I wouldn't say one is faster than the other. Most modern companies use hydraulics to save time and improve consistency.
These users thanked the author TheBerlinerTuba for the post:
Dents Be Gone! (Thu Aug 10, 2023 5:45 am)
TheBerlinerTuba

And a mid August bump!
TheBerlinerTuba

And an X-mass Bump! :tuba:
TheBerlinerTuba

And an Easter Bump! :tuba:
BopEuph

Post by BopEuph »

This is so very cool! Are there videos of this particular horn? I've never seen a COPPER serpent!
Nick
(This horn list more to remind me what I have than to brag)
1984 Conn 12J
1990s Kanstul 900-4B BBb
1924 Holton 122 Sousa
1972 Holton B300 Euph
If you see a Willson 2900, serial W2177, it's been missing for a long time. Help me bring it home.