Wessex Helicon

Tubas, euphoniums, mouthpieces, and anything music-related.
Forum rules
This section is for posts that are directly related to performance, performers, or equipment. Social issues are allowed, as long as they are directly related to those categories. If you see a post that you cannot respond to with respect and courtesy, we ask that you do not respond at all.
Doc

Re: Wessex Helicon

Post by Doc »

BopEuph wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 10:47 am Man, Bill, I'll never get tired of your sound.

I've always wondered, though: American tubists seem to insist that helicon is played commonly in blasmusik bands, but I usually see baritone more often than any form of tuba, especially in oberkrainer music. I assume the helicon was more often seen in Czech bands?
Oberkrainer makes use of baritone almost exclusively. Helicons are used in various bands around SW Germany. Not in the traditional Ernst Mosch instrumentation, of course (BBb and F are the normal choices). Smaller groups with only one tuba often employ F tuba, some occasionally BBb, and sometimes helicon.

BBb tuba:

F tuba:

Helicon:

Ernst Mosch:

Oberkrainer with baritone (yes, even the low stuff):

Same tune on tuba:

Welcome to Browntown!
Home of the Brown Note!
Doc

Post by Doc »

Mary Ann wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 11:20 am My other comment, because I laughed when you said it is light weight -- and it looks like 100% of that weight is on your shoulder, would be -- if you put about 20% of your body weight on your shoulder like that (as I would be doing) would you still call it light weight? :laugh:
The Eb weighs 17lbs. Not much for a gorilla like me, especially with the shoulder pad. I’m guessing you might prefer to use a stand…?
Welcome to Browntown!
Home of the Brown Note!
Mary Ann

Post by Mary Ann »

I've never had access to that type of stand, but the problem is always that I have the equivalent of a receding chin / overbite (because of a "dent" in my chin where the bottom of the rim goes,) and the angle of the leadpipe has to be a certain way or my face doesn't even touch the bottom of the rim. If you look at a picture of Dave Zerkel playing -- like that.
Compare that to a picture of you from your post, with the tuba actually tilting the other way.
Attachments
Bill Holt tuba angle.png
Bill Holt tuba angle.png (136.21 KiB) Viewed 834 times
Dave Zerkel good pic.png
Dave Zerkel good pic.png (118.79 KiB) Viewed 838 times
Last edited by Mary Ann on Wed Mar 27, 2024 12:02 pm, edited 3 times in total.
BopEuph

Post by BopEuph »

Doc wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 11:22 amOberkrainer makes use of baritone almost exclusively. Helicons are used in various bands around SW Germany. Not in the traditional Ernst Mosch instrumentation, of course (BBb and F are the normal choices). Smaller groups with only one tuba often employ F tuba, some occasionally BBb, and sometimes helicon.
This makes a lot of sense! Around here the bands are kinda-sorta oberkrainer bands, usually being drums, tuba, accordion and horn/guitar doubler. There's a couple of tuba players who insist on playing helicon in them. It's definitely a unique combination, but I do like the tuba alternative to baritone, bringing in a bigger sound than baritone.

By the way, I just got a Holton 4v bell-front euphonium with very similar specs to the Willi Grafeneder's horn, just so I can play some other fun stuff in Oktoberfest bands.
Nick
(This horn list more to remind me what I have than to brag)
1984 Conn 12J
1990s Kanstul 900-4B BBb
1924 Holton 122 Sousa
1972 Holton B300 Euph
If you see a Willson 2900, serial W2177, it's been missing for a long time. Help me bring it home.
BopEuph

Post by BopEuph »

Also, just like the oberkrainer recording you posted, I've noticed studio recordings almost always have the baritone play more than one track. In this one, it sounds like it's just the baritone playing both the bass and melody, but in many, it's that they go back and overdub the baritone part with a bass guitar, playing the same exact part down an octave. Which is funny, when you consider they don't hire the extra player to do that live.
Nick
1984 Conn 12J
1990s Kanstul 900-4B BBb
1924 Holton 122 Sousa
1972 Holton B300 Euph
If you see a Willson 2900, serial W2177, it's been missing for a long time. Help me bring it home.
LeMark
Site Admin

Post by LeMark »

Fyi, starting tomorrow, the helicons are going on sale
Yep, I'm Mark
Mary Ann

Post by Mary Ann »

Yeahbut you won't get one that has been slicked up by Matt Walters.
Doc

Post by Doc »

BopEuph wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 11:56 am Also, just like the oberkrainer recording you posted, I've noticed studio recordings almost always have the baritone play more than one track. In this one, it sounds like it's just the baritone playing both the bass and melody, but in many, it's that they go back and overdub the baritone part with a bass guitar, playing the same exact part down an octave. Which is funny, when you consider they don't hire the extra player to do that live.

That is fairly common.

On a different note…

Welcome to Browntown!
Home of the Brown Note!
BopEuph

Post by BopEuph »

That's really cool. You know, about 5 years ago, I saw a tenor helicon in a local antique store. Had no clue what to think about it so I didn't get it. Now I regret it; I don't think it's there anymore.
Nick
1984 Conn 12J
1990s Kanstul 900-4B BBb
1924 Holton 122 Sousa
1972 Holton B300 Euph