What model is this euph?

Tubas, euphoniums, mouthpieces, and anything music-related.
Forum rules
This section is for posts that are directly related to performance, performers, or equipment. Social issues are allowed, as long as they are directly related to those categories. If you see a post that you cannot respond to with respect and courtesy, we ask that you do not respond at all.
BopEuph

Re: What model is this euph?

Post by BopEuph »

iiipopes wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 9:37 am
BopEuph wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 4:52 pmIt's marketed as a "baritone" mouthpiece on the Dennis Wick site, but I assume all the specs besides the shank size are the same. It certainly looks like it when comparing in the descriptions.
Yes. British Brass Band Baritone. The same receiver and shank size as tenor trombone and American baritone.
I did get the mouthpiece and am currently using it on my peashooter trombone (my Warburton is buried in storage, and the 12C is awful for the horn), but it definitely also feels like an SM4M on the rim/cup. So the SM4B is the same as an SM4M with the only difference being the shanks.
These users thanked the author BopEuph for the post:
iiipopes (Fri Mar 15, 2024 3:09 pm)

Nick
(This horn list more to remind me what I have than to brag)
1984 Conn 12J
1990s Kanstul 900-4B BBb
1924 Holton 122 Sousa
1972 Holton B300 Euph
If you see a Willson 2900, serial W2177, it's been missing for a long time. Help me bring it home.
iiipopes

Post by iiipopes »

BopEuph wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 9:56 am
iiipopes wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 9:37 am
BopEuph wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 4:52 pmIt's marketed as a "baritone" mouthpiece on the Dennis Wick site, but I assume all the specs besides the shank size are the same. It certainly looks like it when comparing in the descriptions.
Yes. British Brass Band Baritone. The same receiver and shank size as tenor trombone and American baritone.
I did get the mouthpiece and am currently using it on my peashooter trombone (my Warburton is buried in storage, and the 12C is awful for the horn), but it definitely also feels like an SM4M on the rim/cup. So the SM4B is the same as an SM4M with the only difference being the shanks.
Likewise. I have an Ultra 6 for both the American baritone I sold recently but kept the mouthpiece and a mid sized shank for my B&H 3-valve comp euph. Yes. The rims, cups, throats, and backbores are the same. The only difference is the shank.
Jupiter JTU1110
Conn 36K
BopEuph

Post by BopEuph »

So, after another search attempt, here's what i found:

Model 83, 84, and 85 all seem to be 3v models.

The B-101 seems to be the closest. I did try searching for a B-100, and I found an archive for an old eBay listing that has a bell-front instrument, but it looked like a 3-valve from the thumbnail, and the listing on eBay is long gone to confirm.

So, my last ditch effort was just google the actual description: "holton bell front 4 valves".

I got a hit: A Holton B-300.

Googled Holton B-300, and the first site showed up (https://texashorntrader.com/shop/ols/pr ... t-baritone, and I'll attach pics for the sake of archiving it, and a cached eBay description which is no longer on the site: "Holton B300 4 Valve Bell Front Baritone. Parts Only"

It might not be the right model, but it seems like, short of finding an old Holton worker from the 70s to talk to directly, this is the best I'm going to get. Seems close enough!

Nick
(This horn list more to remind me what I have than to brag)
1984 Conn 12J
1990s Kanstul 900-4B BBb
1924 Holton 122 Sousa
1972 Holton B300 Euph
If you see a Willson 2900, serial W2177, it's been missing for a long time. Help me bring it home.