A Note to Tuba Music Composers on Piano Accompaniment

Tubas, euphoniums, mouthpieces, and anything music-related.
Forum rules
This section is for posts that are directly related to performance, performers, or equipment. Social issues are allowed, as long as they are directly related to those categories. If you see a post that you cannot respond to with respect and courtesy, we ask that you do not respond at all.
russiantuba

A Note to Tuba Music Composers on Piano Accompaniment

Post by russiantuba »

Composers--your parts don't have to be overly busy and thickly scored in the piano parts to hide deficiencies of the tuba soloist. Do you want your music played by more tubists (or if really good, have musicians on other instruments ask to make an edition for their instruments)? If so--make your piano parts playable.

This week has been an interesting week regarding the above topic. One of my students was set to do a BM recital hearing yesterday, and his pianist cancelled on him on Sunday evening (lots of personal issues beyond her control), but it left my student hanging to dry without a pianist. With it being the end of the year, in a rural-ish area and jury week at the larger campuses in the metro area to the north, finding a pianist to do a recital with a date before grades are due has been a challenge. The hardest piece with piano he was doing was the first concerto of Lebedev, so no concerto reductions, and the music for tuba and piano is well scored and very playable--he was able to find a pianist. The pianist did say the music was challenging, but in a good way. I have a feeling if he had gone with a major concerto, I would still be looking for a pianist.

As I type this, I am beyond thankful for the pianist I had in undergrad, who had played the Hindemith before, who asked me if I was considering doing it, so she could get another go at it. I am also still defending my stance on playing music that is with electronic playback (tuba and tape) and unaccompanied works as g eneral audiences enjoy the different sound-scapes than just tuba and piano.

"Less is more"
These users thanked the author russiantuba for the post:
jtm (Thu Apr 11, 2024 9:05 pm)

Dr. James M. Green
Lecturer in Music--Ohio Northern University
Adjunct Professor of Music--Ohio Christian University
Gronitz PF 125
Miraphone 1291CC
Miraphone Performing Artist
www.russiantuba.com
Grumpikins

Re: A Note to Tuba Music Composers on Piano Accompaniment

Post by Grumpikins »

Thank you for reminding me of that.

Finding an accompanist was a nightmare. There were too few when I was in school. One semester, I ended up using a woodwind player who took up piano as a secondary. He wasn't terrible but liked to tell you how to play your part and wasn't very fluid on the keyboard.

Sent from my SM-S367VL using Tapatalk

Meinl Weston 2145 CC
King Symphonic BBb circa 1936
Hopefully a pre WWII king Eb soon.... :teeth:
bloke
Mid South Music

Re: A Note to Tuba Music Composers on Piano Accompaniment

Post by bloke »

Maybe it's a better idea to learn how to play piano and to be a quick study at playing accompaniments than learning how to play the tuba