a type of music that you've never played that you wish you had played or wish that you do play?

Tubas, euphoniums, mouthpieces, and anything music-related.
Forum rules
This section is for posts that are directly related to performance, performers, or equipment. Social issues are allowed, as long as they are directly related to those categories. If you see a post that you cannot respond to with respect and courtesy, we ask that you do not respond at all.
bloke
Mid South Music

a type of music that you've never played that you wish you had played or wish that you do play?

Post by bloke »

For me, it's Western Swing.

I'm jealous of Bill Holt.

I think Asleep At The Wheel is amazing.

==================

... so - based on my first response in this thread, you don't need to limit yourself to "with my tuba". :smilie8:
These users thanked the author bloke for the post:
MN_TimTuba (Tue Apr 16, 2024 9:17 am)

sweaty

Re: a type of music that you've never played that you wish you had played or wish that you do play?

Post by sweaty »

Klezmer.
These users thanked the author sweaty for the post (total 2):
bloke (Tue Apr 16, 2024 9:17 am) • jtm (Tue Apr 16, 2024 11:46 am)
bloke
Mid South Music

Re: a type of music that you've never played that you wish you had played or wish that you do play?

Post by bloke »

sweaty wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 9:12 amKlezmer.
I played one klezmer job one time, and it was a bit unnerving. A friend of mine - who's an amazing trumpet player, and plays principal in a salaried orchestra - used to do klezmer jobs with a rabbi who ran a klezmer band and was the drummer. For some reason, they were looking for an extra horn for one particular wedding reception, and I have no idea why but my friend asked me if I would be interested in bringing a trumpet and a valve trombone. I always say yes to every gig, and I did so. This was back when my mind was quicker and I was playing all the time. I was probably in my 40s? I was reading my friend's C treble clef lead sheets that were in time signatures such as 5/8 and harmonizing (modal, etc.) with him on the trumpet or the valve trombone. After the first tune or two he started giggling (surely because he didn't expect me to be able to do that). I guess that was a compliment. I had to really concentrate to be able to do that. It was sort of fun and I really enjoyed watching everyone dance, dance on the tables and all that stuff, but I sure did have to pay attention. I guess if I'd played another one and another one and 20 more and etc., it would have evolved into "relaxed" fun.
These users thanked the author bloke for the post (total 2):
sweaty (Tue Apr 16, 2024 11:21 am) • jtm (Tue Apr 16, 2024 11:47 am)
MN_TimTuba

Post by MN_TimTuba »

I'll echo the Western Swing and include Country Rock. When driving I often play CCR, Asleep at the Wheel, Pure Prairie League, Nitty Gritty DB - I love the tight harmonies. The trio I organized a few yrs ago does some CCR and a lot of country and easy old rock, but we need to add Western Swing. And a steel guitar, or at least a dobro.
Another wish - that I could add another 5th or so to the top of my vocal range. I 'hear' the tenor harmonies and would love to sing them, but my bass/baritone voice isn't comfortable above a C or D. Any tips beyond tight underwear?
Tim
MN_Tim
Lee Stofer Custom 2341-5
Miraphone 83 Eb
Miraphone 191-5 (formerly)
Holton BBb345 (formerly and fondly)
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

MN_TimTuba wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 10:04 am I'll echo the Western Swing and include Country Rock. When driving I often play CCR, Asleep at the Wheel, Pure Prairie League, Nitty Gritty DB - I love the tight harmonies. The trio I organized a few yrs ago does some CCR and a lot of country and easy old rock, but we need to add Western Swing. And a steel guitar, or at least a dobro.
Another wish - that I could add another 5th or so to the top of my vocal range. I 'hear' the tenor harmonies and would love to sing them, but my bass/baritone voice isn't comfortable above a C or D. Any tips beyond tight underwear?
Tim
"husky-sounding in-tune high-alto" (female) does a pretty good job as an imitation "countertenor"...a bonus? if'n they're purdy.
MN_TimTuba (Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:30 pm)
Three Valves

Post by Three Valves »

sweaty wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 9:12 amKlezmer.
...and polka.

:smilie7:
These users thanked the author Three Valves for the post:
bloke (Tue Apr 16, 2024 8:06 pm)
Thought Criminal
Mack Brass Artiste
TU422L with TU25
1964 Conn 36k with CB Arnold Jacobs
Accent (By B&S) 952R with Bach12
The Fourth Estate is the Fifth Column
Mary Ann

Post by Mary Ann »

MN_TimTuba wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 10:04 am Any tips beyond tight underwear?
Tim
There are men out there who have a very developed falsetto range. I suspect it's a bit late for that, but at least it's not tight underwear.
These users thanked the author Mary Ann for the post:
MN_TimTuba (Tue Apr 16, 2024 9:56 pm)
Mary Ann

Post by Mary Ann »

Oh -- and I wish I could play Dixie. On the violin.
windshieldbug

Post by windshieldbug »

Bluegrass.
These users thanked the author windshieldbug for the post:
bloke (Tue Apr 16, 2024 11:29 pm)
If it’s tourist season, why can’t we shoot them?
jtm

Post by jtm »

I want to play stuff that people want to hear, or sing along with, or dance to, or be happy near. So polka, swing, big band, easy jazz (trad jazz? dixieland?). I'm guessing polka might be the easiest to find opportunities around here.
John Morris
This practicing trick actually seems to be working!
playing some old German rotary tubas for free
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

I'm sure you can play Dixie on the violin. If you mean dixieland, that's actually what western swing is. Dixieland on the violin. It's basically Dixieland music played on country band instruments. Instead of clarinet there's violin. Instead of piano there's pedal steel. Instead of trumpet, I guess there are vocals.

As far as Dixie is concerned, there's a super woke local community band director who decided to substitute something else for that little tuba solo and that Armed Forces Salute medley, and I distinctly remember them playing Dixie in a dixieland band in Memphis in front of about a thousand people - or perhaps double that number - back around 1980 or so at the Overton Park shell.

This is the best Dixieland version that I know of:

The second best one is the same band with Rich Matteson playing helicon and Louis Armstrong sitting in with them. It's much slower.
splat
Lurker

Post by splat »

i think playing bagpipes in a highland pipe band would be excellent.

i have seen some 'massed bands' doing scotland the brave / amazing grace / other cool stuff on youtube. pretty epic!

articulating with my fingers would also be perfect for my current technical ability...
Schlepporello

Post by Schlepporello »

I too would love to learn bagpipes, however a good set of pipes is cost prohibitive for me. I do have a guitar though and am currently trying to find someone local willing to give a 67 year old retired truck driver some lessons.
TubaForum.net Friendly Neighborhood Moderator
There are three things that I can never remember.
1)...................?
OK, make that four.
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

Schlepporello wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 6:39 am I too would love to learn bagpipes, however a good set of pipes is cost prohibitive for me. I do have a guitar though and am currently trying to find someone local willing to give a 67 year old retired truck driver some lessons.
Call Mrs bloke if you really would like to have a set of real pipes (and not those crap ones that are made in Pakistan). I think you might be surprised as how inexpensive real pipes (like made in Canada) might cost. You can also start off with a practice chanter where you learn the notes on your fingers before you buy the whole thing with the bag and drones and all that stuff.

She actually has bagpipes in stock, and not just one set.
Tubajug (Wed Apr 17, 2024 11:30 am)
Mary Ann

Post by Mary Ann »

These users thanked the author Mary Ann for the post:
MN_TimTuba (Wed Apr 17, 2024 12:29 pm)
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

:smilie8: :clap: :thumbsup:
dp

Post by dp »

Given the chance I'd join a musically challenging group with an accordion player :smilie8: so yeah...klezmer
These users thanked the author dp for the post:
jtm (Wed Apr 17, 2024 12:04 pm)
pfft (yes, that's for you)
Big Francis

Post by Big Francis »

Without hesitation, mariachi. Getting dressed up, a big sombrero, drinking Mexican lagers. :cheers:

Frank
These users thanked the author Big Francis for the post (total 2):
jtm (Wed Apr 17, 2024 12:04 pm) • bloke (Wed Apr 17, 2024 1:16 pm)
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

I had been tempted to carry an E-flat sousaphone (when I had one) to a particular Mexican restaurant on Sundays after church...but I knew that I would not be wanted...even though I believe I could catch the changes and do the characteristic runs. (OFTEN, it's much more about the culture/brotherhood than the music itself...though cultural music is nearly always excellent.)
Schlepporello

Post by Schlepporello »

Big Francis wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 11:37 am Without hesitation, mariachi. Getting dressed up, a big sombrero, drinking Mexican lagers. :cheers:

Frank
TubaForum.net Friendly Neighborhood Moderator
There are three things that I can never remember.
1)...................?
OK, make that four.