regardless of monetary value or quantity of instruments, tuba-wise, do you currently own exactly what you wish to own?

Tubas, euphoniums, mouthpieces, and anything music-related.
Forum rules
This section is for posts that are directly related to performance, performers, or equipment. Social issues are allowed, as long as they are directly related to those categories. If you see a post that you cannot respond to with respect and courtesy, we ask that you do not respond at all.
bloke
Mid South Music

regardless of monetary value or quantity of instruments, tuba-wise, do you currently own exactly what you wish to own?

Post by bloke »

I do. :smilie8: ...and I own quite a few "things" that I use.

I wonder how much of us are as lucky (...and I'm very aware that I'm lucky.)

It's sorta weird...
When something's up for sale (unless I see an opportunity to flip for a profit), I never click/look, anymore...
...and it's a statistical given that - in particular, if it's some new model of F tuba or F cimbasso - it's not going to come anywhere close to measuring up, but I'm REALLY happy with ALL of my stuff...

MN_TimTuba

Re: regardless of monetary value or quantity of instruments, tuba-wise, do you currently own exactly what you wish to ow

Post by MN_TimTuba »

I will say for the most part "Yes."
My main horn is a good one and I've really no complaints, but my radar is always out for a certain specific tuba that has been on my wish list for a while. So, we'll see.
Tim
MN_Tim
Lee Stofer Custom 2341-5
Miraphone 83 Eb
Miraphone 191-5 (formerly)
Holton BBb345 (formerly and fondly)
bort2.0

Re: regardless of monetary value or quantity of instruments, tuba-wise, do you currently own exactly what you wish to ow

Post by bort2.0 »

At this point, surprisingly, I'm quite content with what I have and don't have.

Sometimes I miss it, most of the time I don't think about it at all. As a solo activity, I often perceive it as inherently selfish towards my family, the time spent on it, the time not spent with them, the passed off responsibilities while I'm not there, the money, the time, etc.

Right now, it's mostly "Ain't nobody got time for that." :laugh:

I don't mean this to sound terribly negative, more like my life priorities have changed, and playing the tuba is probably like 10th place. It may go up from there, may go down from there.Meh. The good news is, the nine things in line before tuba are also things that I like very much.
These users thanked the author bort2.0 for the post (total 2):
jtm (Thu Apr 25, 2024 11:37 am) • MN_TimTuba (Thu Apr 25, 2024 11:41 am)
daktx2

Post by daktx2 »

Nope!

I own the exact basstuba I'd like to, but I'd probably own a different contrabass tuba, a Rudy 3/4 instead of the Kalison DS I currently play. The Kalison is easy to steer intonation and response wise, is right sized for the group I play in today, and the price was right, but I miss the clarity I could get out of the 70s/80s, absurdly mint condition Rudy I sold to a military bandsman in 2016.

At some point I might make the switch, but I can't justify the expense as an amateur at this point in my life.

:tuba: :tuba: :tuba:
Weltklang B&S Symphonie F tuba
Bohm and Meinl 5520 C tuba (for sale)
Kalison DS C tuba
Sousaswag

Post by Sousaswag »

For the most part, I’m getting there.

My F *should* be there once I have it back.

My Holton is so much fun.

The Bohm and Meinl will also prove useful in my life.

My big CC… Getting there.
Meinl Weston 2165
B&M CC
Willson 3200RZ-5
Holton 340
Pan-American Eb
King Medium Eb
Stryk

Post by Stryk »

Absolutely!
Terry Stryker
Mirafone 186C, 186BBb, 184C, 186C clone
Gebr. Alexander New 163C, Vintage 163C, Vintage 163BBb
Amati 481C
Lyon & Healy 6/4
Kane Stealth tuba
A plethora of others....
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

yeah...congrats to those who are there or "close".

Being where I want to be (equipment-wise) feels "weird" (even more than it feels "good").

I'm building one more thing, but I really don't NEED it at all...I sorta want to see how successful I will be at creating a (basically "concept") instrument that works well and is useful.

These users thanked the author bloke for the post:
York-aholic (Thu Apr 25, 2024 4:15 pm)
Jperry1466

Post by Jperry1466 »

What I own, the MIraphone 184 CC is exactly what I needed. It's light to carry and takes less air, which has helped a lot. What I wish to own is my old Meinl-Weston model 30 CC. It seemed to take less air (more free-blowing) than the Miraphone 186, and I have never had another tuba with quite as sweet a sound. I had an opportunity to play one recently owned by the local university. They won't trade me for it, darn it.
gocsick

Post by gocsick »

I will in the near future.

For a long time I only had a 3/4 CC (Weril) and an Eb sousa (that needed work) I was a post doc with two kids and I could barely find enough change in the couch cushions for bus fare. The Weril was sitting at Baltimore Brass for a long time and Dave must have felt bad for me, because I got it for a steal (but it was still expensive for me). After I get the university job I hardly had time to play .. between work and family obligations. The horn basically got pulled out once a year for tuba Christmas.

The last several years I have been playing in street bands and trad jazz gigs. I was able to find an excellent playing, but not pretty, 1960s BBb Holton Sousa for cheap. I also got the Holton Eb sousa fixed. A band mate gave me a Conn 20j on perpetual loan. He pretends he might want it back one day and it makes him happy to see it played. I paid him back by having some repairs done on it and keeping it in good working order.I will happily return it if he ever needs it. I recently traded some tools for a Holton medium Eb three banger that is so much fun to play. Last year I found a pre- WWII York silver plate baritone with a removable front facing bell in pristine condition for almost nothing on Craigslist and scooped it up. Along the line I got a King student bone and a Conn cornet for free from random people.

In the midst of all this my son got serious about tuba and auditioned into multiple honor ensembles.... so I invested in a great used 186 for him. He will be taking it with him when he goes to college. Even though it bit hard into it savings, It was worth it ... he sounds great on it.

This year I got a promotion and had some consulting work and, after finally paying off the last of my student loans and some home repairs, I had a little money left over. So I am buying a tuba I have wanted since high school, a MW 20. It's from a new player in the group (and a forum member I think) and he is selling it for a ve nice price. I've seen pictures and it is pure early 1970s vintage with 50 years of scratches and wear but she supposedly plays very fine, and is mechanically in great shape. I should get it in a few weeks.

After this summer I will have an instrument for every possible playing situation. Compared to many, I am tuba rich. None of them are shiny or new. I think they all play great, and I like that they are mostly vintage and high quality. I've thought about buying a new Chinese tuba off and on ( a new American or European tuba is out of the question)
... but if I add up everything I've spent on my collection it is about the same as I would have paid for a John Packer or a Wessex. Patience paid off . It only took 15 years since I bought the Weril to build my collection up.

I think it would be cool to have a GG contrabass bugle. I wouldn't mind a mellophone or a bass trombone. But I'm not actually looking or seeking. If something the right price (dirt cheap or free) falls into my lap I might bite.

TLDR: Yes
As amateur as they come...I know just enough to be dangerous.

Conn 20J
MW 20
Holton Collegiate Sousas in Eb and BBb
Holton Medium Eb
40s York Bell Front Euphonium
Schiller Elite Euphonium
Yamaha YSL-352 Trombone
Søren
Has thanked: 0

Post by Søren »

Yes!

But....

I really don't need any tubas, but I would like to own or at least try:

- A big old B&S GDR made 4v BBb helicon. I have owned a number of their old F and Eb helicons, and one of the Eb helicons (the only one I still own) is a unicorn. I have owned and played a number of the Czech BBb helicons, but none of them has really been anything special.

- An Eb B&S from the GDR era. I really like the F and BBb Symphonie GDR horns I own, and the 4v CC I have from the same era is a wonderful point-and-shoot horn (that I of cause do not really need). But I have never tried (or even seen one in real life) of the old Eb horns.

- Aaaaaand, finally: Klaus (YorkMaster) used to own a 3v trombone-pitched fanfare horn made in England. For the fun of it, I would like to own two of those to play birthday fanfare duets with my brother at family events.....
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

Yes, and I could not justify more (except maybe for a decent trombone).

The first approx. 10 years as a tuba player I played on all sorts of borrowed equipment in questionable quality and shape. This experience and at that time having very limited funds made me scan the used market off the mainstream. So now I am lucky to own very old but still high level or top of the line instruments (2 BBb Tubas, Euphonium and Tenorhorn) and a cheapo copy that has been reworked into a very fine 6V F-Tuba. Those instruments will probably serve me until the end of my amateur playing.

Later I could afford to buy a new decent BBb Tuba and Euphonium, both of which I sold again as it could not match (for me) the reliable and fine sounding instruments I was accustomed to...
Tim Jackson

Post by Tim Jackson »

Yes! And not too many or too few.

Yamaha 621 F
186 CC 5U
G50 CC
G50 York hybrid CC
Renolds Recording BBb
Elk BBb
Conn 36K fiberphone

Just need more hours in the day to play! Blessed!
TJ
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

To be clear, I've had some really wonderful instruments pass through my hands. I've tried to be pretty disciplined about not holding on to equipment just because it's remarkably good if they or it are just more than I can possibly use.

As far as being a collector, I try not to collect much of anything other than stuff that I think I can make use of.
arpthark

Post by arpthark »

Nah. Still searching. When I "retired" (so I thought) from tuba in 2014, I sold my PT-6. I can't really justify that nice of an instrument anymore, but it was great.

@Doug, any idea where it ended up?
Last edited by arpthark on Sun Apr 28, 2024 5:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Blake
matt g

Post by matt g »

Had my chops not failed me, again, I owned 2/3 of what I wanted and both horns were (are) fantastic.

I’d not have needed another contrabass, but if a nice 2J/3J showed up I’d have picked it up soon.

If I had felt like I could get back out into the scene and play at a level I was comfortable with, I’d have eventually looked for an F. I put feelers out for a new B&S (non “W”) 6V unit and probably would’ve bought one new if it felt right.

I’m lucky enough that I could have afforded to pick up a new $$,$$$ tuba every year if I really wanted, but not lucky enough to really get my face back in order.

Anyhow, I think a lot of people would be happier with their horns if:

1. They knew what they needed.
2. Knew how to play test a tuba. Easier said than done here.
3. Understood what that particular instrument was built for.
4. Spent time figuring out the “interface” to the tuba. 3 piece mouthpieces are great for this.
5. Spent more time learning where the slides need to be and when.

Sure, there are “bad” tubas out there, but they are easily avoided if one adheres to the points above.
Dillon/Walters CC (sold)
Meinl-Weston 2165 (sold)
2bahawk

Post by 2bahawk »

Well, Bloke, thanks for the "whatever it cost" disclaimer. Mine are on the cheap end - a Yamaha 201 and a Jupiter 378.

They do the job.... I do not intend to keep the Jupiter.

I am starting to realize after years of playing horns supplied by schools that being a tubist is a rich man's sport.
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

Some people think I play pretty well, but if I do at least 65% of the reason is because I have instruments that are easy to play. I actually think it's a higher percentage than that. I don't think I'm particularly good, but I think I have some remarkably easy to play instruments.
Grumpikins

Post by Grumpikins »

Yes, for the time being.

I currently have;

Meinl weston 2145 Cc

1936 King 1240 Bb

1920ish cleveland (pre HN White) Eb

1960s Conn fiberglass sousa (36k?)

These horns cover all my hobby wants.

The Cc is a real all around dead ringer. The King takes some work intonation wise but has the classic american tuba sound. The Eb is just plain fun to play. The Conn is in a slow process of repair. These horns cover all the bases for me so I have not been looking at other horns. I'm very happy with them. Now to find places to use them.....

Sent from my SM-S367VL using Tapatalk

Meinl Weston 2145 CC
King Symphonic BBb circa 1936
Hopefully a pre WWII king Eb soon.... :teeth:
Jewood
Lurker
Has thanked: 0

Post by Jewood »

Difficult to answer. I currently have 5.

Miraphone 186 5V C
Miraphone 188 5V C
Yamaha 381 5V Eflat
Adams Solo F
Wessex C Helicon

Of all these fine tubas, the only one I’m completely satisfied with is the 186. 50 years old, somewhat modified, and probably the best all around tuba I’ve ever played. In fact, I could probably do everything I would ever need to do with that one tuba.

But of course we always want one more. Something with more power if a conductor asked for it. Something that can give you a little more in the high register. Something that blends in a bit better with a trad jazz band.

While the other 4 all play well, great intonation and sound, they all lack something. And for me, it comes down to ergonomics. At some point the comfort and ease is not as good as the 186. They could all be slightly tweaked to be great, but if the 186 can do it all, I’m not sure it’s worth the time and money.
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

I swore to myself that I wouldn't comment, but I'm too much of a busy-body, so...

Since you clearly like the 86 more than the 88, and there's some significant money which could be pulled out of that 88, you might consider turning the 88 back into money, and (if you want something or somethingS - plural - for early jazz) you might consider a 19-inch bell ("phatter" - more "bass") 3+1 comp. E-flat (anything from a Jinbao up to a JP 3-series or a vintage UK-made one)...while offering up your 381 for sale (as those sell quickly, as they seem to be perpetually faddish). The helicon could also be turned into cash...and cash-converted to a King B-flat sousaphone (ie. manageable .687" bore size, clear sound, big 26" bell, great intonation...also a great early jazz instrument - particularly if in a loud or outdoor venue).

...I make no comment re: the F...F tubas are personal things, about which there is very little agreement.

summary...
I see myself recommending a larger belled E-flat, lightening the C load (while holding on to the cherry of them) and mixing in some B-flat.

I'm wondering if you would be a little happier, end up with things you like better for specific purposes, and end up with a good bit more cash in your pocket as well (??)

bloke "but what do I know...?? ...not all that much, truthfully..."