Conn 2J For Sale (Corrected)

Read forum rules before posting.
Forum rules
This is for buying or selling your personal equipment, but sponsored selling is allowed as well. We are requiring all ads to have the following information. Price, (even for trades) Brand, Model, and location (for instruments, not accessories) need to be included in the ad, or at least be very clear in link provided. It is acceptable to link to an external ad if you are promoting a sale of your personal equipment. No Ebay Auctions, but Buy it now listings are fine. Photos are HIGHLY suggested as well. If you see an ad that does not meet these criteria, please report it.
Mikelynch

Conn 2J For Sale (Corrected)

Post by Mikelynch »

This is the second of two tubas I am selling for the family of a good friend who recently passed.

The 2J is pretty well known and desired as a compact horn that is easy to play. This one is in good condition, though some dents in the bottom bow have been removed at some point (detectable more clearly by feel than by sight). There may be some flaws in the silver, but if so, they are not readily apparent (though, the horn is somewhat tarnished).

For me, the horn plays better, and with improved pitch, using a smaller than normal shank mp. Though the owner, Will, played it with a conventional mp. He used it playing second tuba on Symphonie Fantastique with me a number of years ago, and sounded great.

The horn is in Austin TX, and due to time constraints, I am currently looking for a buyer who can pick up locally, and have tried to price the horn accordingly, at $3,300. My smaller shank mp I have used with it, an original Conn helleberg, with older gold plating and a shaved shank is available with the horn for an additional $200.

Mike

MikeL y n ch3 9 8 5 a-t m a c. c om

Last edited by Mikelynch on Fri May 03, 2024 10:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

TxTx
Been thanked: 0

Re: Conn 3J For Sale

Post by TxTx »

The 3J is CC, right?

Thanks.
bisontuba

Post by bisontuba »

TxTx wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 11:28 pm The 3J is CC, right?

Thanks.
Yes...
These users thanked the author bisontuba for the post:
TxTx (Fri May 03, 2024 12:03 am)
Pakins51

Post by Pakins51 »

I'm pretty sure this is a smaller/older 2J not a 3J the valve caps and buttons look like the older 2Js and the 3Js had 2 fourth valve slides with one facing upwards where this has the one downward facing one like a 2J. This shouldn't affect anything just an observation.
Mikelynch

Re: Conn 2J For Sale (Corrected)

Post by Mikelynch »

Thanks for noting the error Pakins51, and the listing has been corrected. It is a 2J.

Will referred to the tuba as a 3J from the time he first got it, maybe 15 years ago. That was so ingrained, that I didn't think to question that designation at this point.

Mike
arpthark

Post by arpthark »

What's one J among friends, anyhow?
Blake
matt g

Post by matt g »

2J vs 3J usually means something with respect to playability. The 2Js are usually a little better.
Dillon/Walters CC (sold)
Meinl-Weston 2165 (sold)
goldendomer04
Lurker
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by goldendomer04 »

Email sent