regardless of monetary value or quantity of instruments, tuba-wise, do you currently own exactly what you wish to own?

Tubas, euphoniums, mouthpieces, and anything music-related.
Forum rules
This section is for posts that are directly related to performance, performers, or equipment. Social issues are allowed, as long as they are directly related to those categories. If you see a post that you cannot respond to with respect and courtesy, we ask that you do not respond at all.
gocsick

Re: regardless of monetary value or quantity of instruments, tuba-wise, do you currently own exactly what you wish to ow

Post by gocsick »

C J wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 11:44 am I don't think that the person who has a mega dollar (euro) horn has it to show off, but has fallen for the marketing surrounding that horn (I can sound just as good as the pro players endorsing that horn)
It is endlessly amusing to read Reddit /r/tuba and see all these "I am a sophmore in high school and want to get a 6/4 CC tuba. I can't decide between XXX ($10,000 tuba) and YYY ($15,000 tuba). Which is better for college auditions?" type posts. With the accompanying down-votes of replies that say, "You don't need a new expensive tuba. Save your money." or "Buy a Wessex/Mack Brass".

I am 99% sure none of these instruments are ever getting purchased once the parent understand how much tubas cost.
These users thanked the author gocsick for the post:
arpthark (Mon Apr 29, 2024 12:23 pm)

As amateur as they come...I know just enough to be dangerous.

Conn 20J
MW 20
Holton Collegiate Sousas in Eb and BBb
Holton Medium Eb
40s York Bell Front Euphonium
Schiller Elite Euphonium
Yamaha YSL-352 Trombone
bloke
Mid South Music

Re: regardless of monetary value or quantity of instruments, tuba-wise, do you currently own exactly what you wish to ow

Post by bloke »

ANOTHER sidebar:

When I was c. 17-1/2 or so, I bought a 4-valve 186 C tuba and with my own money.
Adjusted for inflation, it cost $12,000 ($1850 shipping included in 1974).

I knew about Czech tubas, I knew about East German tubas (basically, viewed during that time as Chinese tubas are viewed today).
I chose a 186...and decided that a 5th valve (for another $200 - $1300 in today's money - was an extravagance.

btw, That was also an era of hyperinflation, which - shortly thereafter - was referred to as "stagflation"...(So-called "conservative" Nixon took us off the gold standard, played around with fascistic wage and price freezes, and engaged in all sorts of other radical leftist tactics.)
My teacher had bought his 4-valve 186 C tuba c. 1967 or so for about $900.
(I did shop around, but - alas - no internet, so I probably didn't shop around enough...and didn't know enough to - simply - call Sun Valley, California, make a low offer, reject their counter offer, conclude the conversation politely, hang up, and wait for them to call back with their best offer.)

more info:
Mine was "grey market", the name was spelled "MIRAPHONE" on the bell, there was no serial number, and the linkage was S-arm with nylon bushings (not DVS). After two or three years, I sorta realized that it wasn't a particularly great one, fwiw. (In recent years, I've bought/restored both a 5-valve c. 1964 and a 5-valve c. 1969 one...Both were significantly better than that 1974 one, which I bought new.)
Last edited by bloke on Mon Apr 29, 2024 4:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Three Valves

Post by Three Valves »

Yes. It took a while to find what I wanted.

:thumbsup: :tuba:
Thought Criminal
Mack Brass Artiste
TU422L with TU25
1964 Conn 36k with CB Arnold Jacobs
Accent (By B&S) 952R with Bach12
The Fourth Estate is the Fifth Column
kingrob76

Post by kingrob76 »

jtm wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:48 pm Didn't you have a really nice 188 a couple years ago?
Yes, but, this particular one is.... unique.
Rob. Just Rob.
Jewood
Lurker
Has thanked: 0

Post by Jewood »

Bloke,

What a coincidence, we both bought a 186 the same year. My experience came out a bit different. I remember paying 1750, which seemed a fortune at the time. 5 valve model, straight linkage, MIRAFONE and 9099 serial number on the bell. Original bell now used as a mute stand as it was crushed in a fall back in about 1981. I think I was lucky to get a really good one. I was studying with Jim Self at the time and he made all the calls for the purchase.
These users thanked the author Jewood for the post:
bloke (Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:28 pm)
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

Jewood wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 5:27 pm Bloke,

What a coincidence, we both bought a 186 the same year. My experience came out a bit different. I remember paying 1750, which seemed a fortune at the time. 5 valve model, straight linkage, MIRAFONE and 9099 serial number on the bell. Original bell now used as a mute stand as it was crushed in a fall back in about 1981. I think I was lucky to get a really good one. I was studying with Jim Self at the time and he made all the calls for the purchase.
:thumbsup:
I was including shipping in the cost, but I suspected later that I didn't get a particularly good price.

I had no idea how good they COULD be, until I restored the two made-before-mine ones that I restored not very many years ago.
iiipopes

Post by iiipopes »

To answer the question: Yes.
Jupiter JTU1110
Conn 36K
Mary Ann

Post by Mary Ann »

To also answer the question: sorta. The NS is going in the grave with me, basically. If it gets run over by a bus, I'll buy another one.
I still cannot seem to find the "right" contrabass. The one I have and can't lift, I don't know what to do with. I wanted BBb because of its low range and fingering similarity, have waffled on trying another CC because my now older brain can get confused with fingerings on the fly, and maybe I should just give up on the contrabass because my lung size isn't really suitable to start with. My first 184 came closest to being the exact right one, and everything but my horn and my violin got sold when I had my years of mold episode. But even that one had a flat E in the staff. That's why I wanted to go to a major workshop like the Army, but even that appears to be out of my capability now. I guess I'm getting ready to say that I think I'm stuck with what I have and might as well just enjoy it.
These users thanked the author Mary Ann for the post:
MN_TimTuba (Thu May 02, 2024 11:50 am)
donn

Post by donn »

No!

Until I own a nice, heavenly light weight plastic tuba, I will not be satisified. I could buy one, of course, but I prefer to remain unsatisfied, rather than spend > $1K on a piece of Chinese junk. But that doesn't mean I own what I wash to own - not at all!
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

donn wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 2:17 pm No!

Until I own a nice, heavenly light weight plastic tuba, I will not be satisified. I could buy one, of course, but I prefer to remain unsatisfied, rather than spend > $1K on a piece of Chinese junk. But that doesn't mean I own what I wash to own - not at all!
I'm looking for a nice rotary/heavy Swiss plastic tuba...with a badly-creased bell...from South America.
hbcrandy

Post by hbcrandy »

Yes!!! I own ZERO tubas! I am happily retired.
These users thanked the author hbcrandy for the post:
York-aholic (Mon May 06, 2024 4:11 pm)
Randy Harrison
Retired Proprietor, Harrison Brass
Retired Instructor of Applied Brass Performance,
Maryland Conservatory of Music
Finetales

Post by Finetales »

I currently own zero tubas, so...no. :laugh:
I mostly play the slidey thing.
cktuba

Post by cktuba »

I own a tuba that I am very happy with. But, if I won the lottery.... Rudy Meinl 5/4 CC and Besson 983 EEb.
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

Finetales wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 9:19 am I currently own zero tubas, so...no. :laugh:
Tromboners look for Bach/Olds 4-valve B-flat tubas and compensating E-flat tubas.
Finetales

Post by Finetales »

bloke wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 12:02 pm
Finetales wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 9:19 am I currently own zero tubas, so...no. :laugh:
Tromboners look for Bach/Olds 4-valve B-flat tubas and compensating E-flat tubas.
Oh I know...my last tuba was a Boosey compensating Eb. Would love to have another (with valves in better shape), but...they cost money, and all.
I mostly play the slidey thing.
MiBrassFS

Post by MiBrassFS »

I don’t own exactly what I wish I owned. What I own took me a life time to select and refine. It’s all pretty terrific, but…

Now I wish I owned less of it.
TriStateFans

Post by TriStateFans »

donn wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 2:17 pm No!

I have played one, they are indeed total junk (at least the one I played was). Fortunately it didn't cost me a dime.
MiBrassFS

Post by MiBrassFS »

Someone I respect and a name you all would recognize (but I won’t out) said they liked the little piston plastic tuba that looks like a Yama 621. He said it was the least bad and completely playable. Now I want one. I’m counting on you people to stop this insanity. Don’t let me down!
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

Do you realize who you're talking to? I'm the guy who can solder plastic. I can even braze it.
What brass do you have for sale? I'm only interested in brass colored instruments, not brass. Copper is a poison.
MiBrassFS

Post by MiBrassFS »

Pretty sure I saw shiny silver and brass colored plastic tubas. I fear there will be a break in the space-time continuum…
These users thanked the author MiBrassFS for the post:
bloke (Mon May 06, 2024 7:22 pm)