Luggage Dolly for Non-Wheeled Case

Tubas, euphoniums, mouthpieces, and anything music-related.
Forum rules
This section is for posts that are directly related to performance, performers, or equipment. Social issues are allowed, as long as they are directly related to those categories. If you see a post that you cannot respond to with respect and courtesy, we ask that you do not respond at all.
MShores
Has thanked: 0

Luggage Dolly for Non-Wheeled Case

Post by MShores »

For those of you that have used a luggage Dolly to transport your tuba in a hard case with no wheels, what did you use?

Thanks.

bloke
Mid South Music

Re: Luggage Dolly for Non-Wheeled Case

Post by bloke »

I've NEVER done that...

This is not THE VERY CHEAPEST creeper, but I see padding, the headrest DOES drop down flat, and there's METAL on it, so you could weld on a swivel/adjustable pull handle, as well as hook on some BAB (big-ass bungees).

Seeing the shapes of the padding supports, I'm thinking someone might (??) just choose to REMOVE the padding system completely.

https://www.harborfreight.com/250-lb-ca ... 63311.html

Mary Ann

Post by Mary Ann »

I have something like this that I got at Costco. It collapses and is easy to transport. I used it with the 283 in the Protec bag, and the 283 is pretty tall. Held it on with a cargo strap. Worked just fine for me, pull it along like a hand truck.

Weird, link won't print. Search for "folding hand truck."
This is part of the link that won't print:
FCH-Folding-Capacity-Aluminum-Portable
DonO.

Post by DonO. »

I use a simple moving dolly I bought from Harbor Freight for 12 bucks. It’s a simple wood rectangle with carpeting on each end and pretty sturdy casters. Right now I use a ratchet strap to hold it in place but I may come up with something more elegant. No handle, but a handle kit is available from HF. For the price, it really can’t be beat.
King 2341 “new style”
Kanstul 902-3B
Conn Helleberg Standard 120- for the King.
Conn Helleberg 7B- for the Kanstul.
Looking for: minty Amati or Cerveny 681, Kanstul 902-4B
t00ba
Been thanked: 0

Post by t00ba »

There was some chatter about the product in the link posted below. I have no experience with it, but I like that it works with stairs:

https://upcart.com/
Yadent

Post by Yadent »

I have used the 'upcart' for about 5 years. Worked extremely well with my 'heavy' Willson 3400 and works just fine with the Besson 983, especially with
a flight of stairs that I do twice a week for rehearsals.
Music is the spice of life. Without it, our life would seem tasteless and boring.... -moaj hyder

Besson 983
Wessex Danube
King 1168S Euphonium
1901 King HN White Monster Eb
Schiller Bass Trumpet
Schiller F Cimbasso
tokuno

Post by tokuno »

Mary Ann wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 11:33 am I have something like this that I got at Costco. It collapses and is easy to transport. I used it with the 283 in the Protec bag, and the 283 is pretty tall. Held it on with a cargo strap. Worked just fine for me, pull it along like a hand truck.

Weird, link won't print. Search for "folding hand truck."
This is part of the link that won't print:
FCH-Folding-Capacity-Aluminum-Portable
We have had the Costco version for many years. Its a bit flimsy & small-wheeled compared to the higher quality (and expensive) cleanroom versions we use in the fabs, but the Costco one is lightweight and has held up fine for light-duty home use. The greatest inconvenience is its short handle.
I don't own this one, but the larger platform and taller handle look attractive. Pretty heavy, though at 14 lbs:
https://www.amazon.com/Capacity-Portabl ... B0BYYRC2T1
2nd tenor

Post by 2nd tenor »

MShores wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 9:19 am For those of you that have used a luggage Dolly to transport your tuba in a hard case with no wheels, what did you use?

Thanks.
My Tuba hard cases have wheels and the gig bags I have used have two shoulder straps. So far I’ve managed, sometimes with a struggle, to do without extra wheels and don’t know anyone who uses them at the moment. That said a now passed acquaintance who played trombone used a compact folding sack truck and I have one of those trucks in mind for when I’m older. As a younger man I used similar at work and thought them exceedingly helpful.
https://www.screwfix.com/p/wolfcraft-ts ... 70kg/119tg

I have a cheap steel none folding and multifunction sack truck * in our store, it’s rarely used but has still paid for itself …. maybe I should replace it with an alloy folding version (for the price it’d be a sensible investment against likely future need). I have some flat bed four wheel trolleys too, they’ve come in handy (paid for themselves) but are rarely used; the sack truck both copes with steps/kerbs and is more manoeuvrable (which can be a big plus) but requires more physical strength to use.
https://www.screwfix.com/p/multi-functi ... 50kg/8635p
* can’t remember ever using it in flat bed form.
https://www.screwfix.com/p/barton-dolly ... ners/88084
kingrob76

Post by kingrob76 »

DonO. wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 1:34 pm I use a simple moving dolly I bought from Harbor Freight for 12 bucks. It’s a simple wood rectangle with carpeting on each end and pretty sturdy casters. Right now I use a ratchet strap to hold it in place but I may come up with something more elegant. No handle, but a handle kit is available from HF. For the price, it really can’t be beat.
This qualifies as both simple and elegant all at once. For almost a year I used a hard case for my Piggy with a plastic Toys R Us skateboard and some bungee cord (2 separate straps to keep the skateboard centered). Turning it simply involved tilting the case left or right and moving across any kind of flat-ish surface was pretty easy. Were I to replicate this today I would use as cheap a longboard as I could find, but, the moving dolly with casters would be cheaper and not require "turning".

I'm mulling ideas to do this across a large outdoor grass area that would neither be flat or smooth (too bumpy for the above methods, and grass too long). That means big fat wheels of some kind and a wider wheel base. Golf bag caddy carts have the right idea but would need a wider base and a completely different approach loading a tuba bag / case for balance purposes.
Rob. Just Rob.
rodgeman

Post by rodgeman »

kingrob76 wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 8:29 am
DonO. wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 1:34 pm I use a simple moving dolly I bought from Harbor Freight for 12 bucks. It’s a simple wood rectangle with carpeting on each end and pretty sturdy casters. Right now I use a ratchet strap to hold it in place but I may come up with something more elegant. No handle, but a handle kit is available from HF. For the price, it really can’t be beat.
This qualifies as both simple and elegant all at once. For almost a year I used a hard case for my Piggy with a plastic Toys R Us skateboard and some bungee cord (2 separate straps to keep the skateboard centered). Turning it simply involved tilting the case left or right and moving across any kind of flat-ish surface was pretty easy. Were I to replicate this today I would use as cheap a longboard as I could find, but, the moving dolly with casters would be cheaper and not require "turning".

I'm mulling ideas to do this across a large outdoor grass area that would neither be flat or smooth (too bumpy for the above methods, and grass too long). That means big fat wheels of some kind and a wider wheel base. Golf bag caddy carts have the right idea but would need a wider base and a completely different approach loading a tuba bag / case for balance purposes.
You might look at this https://a.co/d/1Db8az4 . I used one years ago with my tuba in a gig bag. The big wheels make a difference.
Eastman EBB-562 BBb tuba
Dillon G5B/Turner
tclements

Post by tclements »

kingrob76

Post by kingrob76 »

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0BWY ... BBO9L&th=1

caught my eye. need to measure my hard case, but, I like the idea that it collapses and fits in my trunk.
Rob. Just Rob.
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

I used one of those in an apartment building - whereby an orchestra patron supplied the low brass with a really nice apartment, for each concert.
That was left in the entry, and we used it to get our stuff into the elevator and up.

I found it to be wonky and awkward, and I had to be careful with it - to avoid damaging it...

...and that price is right at what I paid for one of my good/used Jakob Winter molded cases.