Vintage BBb Mirafone

Tubas, euphoniums, mouthpieces, and anything music-related.
Forum rules
This section is for posts that are directly related to performance, performers, or equipment. Social issues are allowed, as long as they are directly related to those categories. If you see a post that you cannot respond to with respect and courtesy, we ask that you do not respond at all.
Tim Jackson

Vintage BBb Mirafone

Post by Tim Jackson »

It looks like I will offer assistance to a couple selling some instruments—a tuba and a bass. I have not seen or played them yet, but I hope to get a look next week. The instruments have been saved for some time for sentimental reasons, but now it is time to sell.

I know little about the history or the player other than he was in the military. They did mention he was meticulous about instrument care and had the dents knocked out some time back. It looks like a relacquer job was done as well.

The serial number on the bell logo is 1171. It could be a late 50s area BBb 186 with clock springs. I'm sure the news I offer them might be better if they had a genuine Eastman. I'll bet this is a great player, and I will know for sure late in the week.

I know it is only worth what someone is willing to pay. Is $3500-$4500 a reasonable range?
Finding a local buyer who is willing to pick it up will be a miracle.
They have probably looked up the price on Miraphone tubas. Even though it is beautiful, I'll have to explain the depreciation of a 65-year-old 4-valve tuba.

Any suggestions are appreciated and if you are interested in such an instrument, PM me.

Thanks, Tim
Attachments
BBb 186 1171 Body front.JPG
BBb 186 1171 Body front.JPG (19.35 KiB) Viewed 555 times
BBb 186 1171 back.JPG
BBb 186 1171 back.JPG (19 KiB) Viewed 555 times
BBb 186 1171.JPG
BBb 186 1171.JPG (17.77 KiB) Viewed 555 times

bloke
Mid South Music

Re: Vintage BBb Mirafone

Post by bloke »

I don't think the value is related to the age, but to the condition. Other people don't look at things the way I do, but I look at how much material was polished away during a refinishing job (and there are ways to detect that), I look at the condition of the rotors, and (not personally being too excited about clock spring linkage) I would at least look at their condition, but would personally put a check mark on that one item automatically. It's not that they're not cool, but there are so many places to continue to service on that type of linkage to continue to eliminate extraneous noise.

If the refinishing job only involved straightening out and shining it up, that really shouldn't take away any value, and if nothing wiggled left and right and up and down on the rotors and linkage system, I think my check mark would sort of be gray instead of black on those.

I believe it will sell quickly.
Tim Jackson

Post by Tim Jackson »

I just got by to test this. Could this be a 185? It just seemed a little tighter than my 186 CC. Everything is frozen up (slides and rotors), but I could play the open bugle. It felt really good, and it slurred through the partials very smoothly. There was some play in the rod (mostly on the 1st valve and the 1st valve has an exterior spring - as a helper or the clock spring is broken. I am so tempted to grab this, it's just hard to turn stuff in this neck of the woods. This is going to be a wonderful horn for someone... even with the clock springs. tj
arpthark

Post by arpthark »

Tim Jackson wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 5:24 am I just got by to test this. Could this be a 185? It just seemed a little tighter than my 186 CC. Everything is frozen up (slides and rotors), but I could play the open bugle. It felt really good, and it slurred through the partials very smoothly. There was some play in the rod (mostly on the 1st valve and the 1st valve has an exterior spring - as a helper or the clock spring is broken. I am so tempted to grab this, it's just hard to turn stuff in this neck of the woods. This is going to be a wonderful horn for someone... even with the clock springs. tj
Looking at your pics, the dogleg on the 185 is a little more pronounced than the one on the 186, so I think you're right that it's a 185. I have a 186 BBb at home right now and it looks a little chunkier.

I think $3k-4k is right on the money for a vintage Miraphone like that if it is in nice shape. I have seen trombone doublers express interest in the BBb 185s, so you might advertise it on the trombone forum if you feel so inclined. What is the tuba's location?
Tim Jackson

Post by Tim Jackson »

Thanks, this makes sense. When I put my mouthpiece in, it only went in about a half inch or 5/8s maybe. I noticed when I played it it felt different-smaller than other 186 BBb that I have played. It did feel REALLY GOOD. It has the Miraphone MAGIC! #1171 must be late 50s!

TJ
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

I'm of the belief that it was not uncommon for older rotary tubas' mouthpipe configurations to often accommodate shorter-waisted people who were also probably less tall overall. I suspect that rotary tuba manufacturers which still in business by the 1960s started reconfiguring their mouthpipe bends to accommodate (as people tended to be taller than they were in the past) taller people. The mouthpipe on this instrument reminds me of those that Miraphone put on their detachable bell rotary instruments - out of necessity.

The fact that the rotors are locked up is - to me - a good sign rather than a bad sign. Really worn rotors probably are not going to lock up regardless of how much green brass oxidation or lime is located in between the rotors and the casings.

If it's around 38 and a half inches tall and the bell diameter is over 16 in, it's going to be a 86 model. Further, if a piece of 3/4 inch cylindrical steel rod slips easily inside one of the ~valve~ slides - once removed from the instrument, there's more very strong evidence that it is a model 86.