Small Mouthpiece Big horn

Tubas, euphoniums, mouthpieces, and anything music-related.
Forum rules
This section is for posts that are directly related to performance, performers, or equipment. Social issues are allowed, as long as they are directly related to those categories. If you see a post that you cannot respond to with respect and courtesy, we ask that you do not respond at all.
bbuxx2026
Lurker
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Small Mouthpiece Big horn

Post by bbuxx2026 »

I’m currently at a honor band festival where i met a friend who let me play on his Denis Wick Heritage 5L, my horn is a jupiter 1110. I played for a couple hours on it and i really like it. I’m used to smaller mouthpieces, i tried a miraphone tu27, Conn 120s and 7b, Schilke helleberg (which is usually my main mp) and the occasional bach. but i really like flat rims with a sharp bite, i loved the way it felt to play but i feel i was using to much are but i was getting lower and higher than before. Since in i’m the market for a new mouthpiece would it be smart to get a 5L or maybe a size or two smaller 4L or 3L?

Jupiter 1110 (Schilke Helleberg)
E.M Winston 525L (Denis Wick 6BY)
King 3B (Bach 7C)
Kevbach33
Has thanked: 0

Re: Small Mouthpiece Big horn

Post by Kevbach33 »

The Wick 5L is actually the smallest diameter in that line; the smaller the number, the bigger the mouthpiece. The 3L is the Wick version of a Bach 24AW: wide rim, deep cup, massive throat. The 4 is in between.

If you really liked the 5L, get it.
F Schmidt 2103 BBb, Laskey 30G US
Wessex TE360P Bombino Eb, Perantucci PT-84S
JP274MKII Euphonium, Tucci RT-7C
Various slide things
Mary Ann

Post by Mary Ann »

Agree -- sounds like it increased your range both directions, which indicates a good fit. Of course if you're like the rest of us, that could change in a couple of months, but that's tuba life.
I ended up with a 5L on my NStar and was also surprised. Started out with a PT64. I do better with narrower, and it's deep enough to do what I need to do with an Eb tuba.
Pauvog1

Post by Pauvog1 »

I played a Wick 5 on a loaner/rental horn on a school trip (over seas) once. It was a not bad at all. I think trying it out against a 4L in a larger space (and maybe in a ensemble setting) might be pretty telling. If it works, then it works! I could see that working well in an Eb or smaller BBb.
MW 2155
PT-18p (MRP)
JP 274 MKII
For sale
Laskey 30G, American shank https://tubaforum.net/viewtopic.php?t=9 ... 2f1502a4d7
Giddings Baer CC Euro shank https://tubaforum.net/viewtopic.php?p=96137#p96137