FT: Schiller Bb Tuba and Reynolds Bb Sousaphone

Read forum rules before posting.
Forum rules
This is for buying or selling your personal equipment, but sponsored selling is allowed as well. We are requiring all ads to have the following information. Price, (even for trades) Brand, Model, and location (for instruments, not accessories) need to be included in the ad, or at least be very clear in link provided. It is acceptable to link to an external ad if you are promoting a sale of your personal equipment. No Ebay Auctions, but Buy it now listings are fine. Photos are HIGHLY suggested as well. If you see an ad that does not meet these criteria, please report it.
basscelfg
Lurker
Been thanked: 0

FT: Schiller Bb Tuba and Reynolds Bb Sousaphone

Post by basscelfg »

For Trade: Hi! I am looking to trade my Schiller tuba and my fiberglass Reynolds sousaphone (both in Bb). I am looking to trade both for a slightly better piton valve Bb Tuba or, if you are open to discussion, another Tuba/Marching Horn pair. I am in need of a tuba upgrade and I don't have the funds to purchase (new or used). I have photos of both horns for your viewing. Both are located in Boston, MA.

The schiller has four piston valves with a little tarnish on the finger buttons. There are 2 small (5mm or less) dents in the bell. It was serviced recently and had the felts replaced. The Reynolds...is a bit of a mis-mash franken-sousa. I purchased it 5 years ago (cheap since I was a broke college graduate) and I got what I paid for. The neck and bits are perfectly in tact and the leadpipe is spotless. There is a dent in the first valve slide, the brace is detached because its missing a screw, all the bell screws are different, and the body (where the tape is) comes apart when Im marching. Both of them have hard cases with wheels. I can also throw in a few mouthpieces and a Conn tenor trombone to make it worth your while.

I hope to trade for a better 4 piston valve Bb tuba (any brand). If anyone is open to it, I'd also propose Tuba/Marching horn pair of similar value. Shipping can be a separate conversation, but Im happy to help with it in any way that I can. Any tips or leads for tubas is much appreciated too. Thank you!! :tuba:

Images https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... drive_link
Last edited by basscelfg on Tue May 21, 2024 7:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

matt g

Re: FT: Schiller Bb Tuba and Reynolds Bb Sousaphone

Post by matt g »

@basscelfg your link is broken and also where are these horns located? Thank you.
These users thanked the author matt g for the post:
basscelfg (Tue May 21, 2024 6:27 pm)
Dillon/Walters CC (sold)
Meinl-Weston 2165 (sold)
basscelfg
Lurker

Post by basscelfg »

Hi, I'll fix the link. Try the one below. Im in Boston, MA.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... drive_link
humBell

Post by humBell »

Boston area?

4 Valve B flat, better than a schiller?

Don't think i have played one, so i don't yet know what is better, but i'll ponder the question, and what all i got i may be willing to part with, and if no one comes up with something suitable, i'll see what i can do, perhaps in between gigs this weekend.
These users thanked the author humBell for the post:
basscelfg (Wed May 22, 2024 6:11 am)
"All art is one." -Hal
basscelfg
Lurker

Post by basscelfg »

humBell wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 5:59 am Boston area?

4 Valve B flat, better than a schiller?

Don't think i have played one, so i don't yet know what is better, but i'll ponder the question, and what all i got i may be willing to part with, and if no one comes up with something suitable, i'll see what i can do, perhaps in between gigs this weekend.
Thanks very much! Schiller's are manufactured in china, and the quality is pretty respectable. I also have many gigs this weekend too. Parade season is in full swing!
humBell

Post by humBell »

Meant to ask if you had any guidance. Are you looking for something to play with a bigger group? Looking for something more versatile? Or shinier?
These users thanked the author humBell for the post:
basscelfg (Wed May 22, 2024 5:55 pm)
"All art is one." -Hal
basscelfg
Lurker

Post by basscelfg »

I am looking for a full size 4/4 tuba that is versatile. I just won a position in a Brittish Brass band, plus Im still actively gigging in a local band and an Italian folk music marching/ceremonial ensemble. My schiller is only 3/4 size, and it can't keep up anymore. Any leads or recommendations are welcome too.
humBell wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 5:53 pm Meant to ask if you had any guidance. Are you looking for something to play with a bigger group? Looking for something more versatile? Or shinier?
humBell

Post by humBell »

And still sorting through what options i got to offer ya.

Option that suggests itself is a beaten up old Holton version of a ybb-321 (4 piston top action BBb) and it seems fitting just because those are based on Bessons bugle-wise.

But mine is arguably sufficiently beaten up it really is only an option if you don't care what things look like, just how they play.

Some other options are possible, but wicked lazy (and trying to get a few things done which are a bit more important)

And PM me when ya have unlocked the messaging super power... (although i presume you can read dmine should i get around to it)
These users thanked the author humBell for the post (total 2):
arpthark (Fri May 31, 2024 8:49 am) • basscelfg (Fri May 31, 2024 2:01 pm)
"All art is one." -Hal
basscelfg
Lurker

Post by basscelfg »

Thank you! Both options sound great, and I would love to see a photo of them. I cannot PM at this time (still a newbie). However, you can find me on Instagram (@bassclefg) or email me directly (bassclefg@gmail.com). Please take care of your important stuff, don't feel the need to rush on my account.
humBell wrote: Fri May 31, 2024 8:24 am
And still sorting through what options i got to offer ya.

Option that suggests itself is a beaten up old Holton version of a ybb-321 (4 piston top action BBb) and it seems fitting just because those are based on Bessons bugle-wise.

But mine is arguably sufficiently beaten up it really is only an option if you don't care what things look like, just how they play.

Some other options are possible, but wicked lazy (and trying to get a few things done which are a bit more important)

And PM me when ya have unlocked the messaging super power... (although i presume you can read dmine should i get around to it)
humBell

Post by humBell »

Sorry i'm sslow.

Finally emailed ya last night.
"All art is one." -Hal
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

Trade both of them for C instruments, so you can at least have professional-grade instruments. :teeth:

serious comment:
Look for a good detachable-bell King tuba, and just have someone work on the fiberglass sousaphone.
Fleabay the chinotuba.
basscelfg
Lurker

Post by basscelfg »

Thanks for the tip! I've already arranged a time to check out some Tubas for trading this week. But I'll for sure consider getting my sousa fixed. She needs it!