Any Direct Comparisons of HB10 and Adams F?

Tubas, euphoniums, mouthpieces, and anything music-related.
Forum rules
This section is for posts that are directly related to performance, performers, or equipment. Social issues are allowed, as long as they are directly related to those categories. If you see a post that you cannot respond to with respect and courtesy, we ask that you do not respond at all.
the elephant

Any Direct Comparisons of HB10 and Adams F?

Post by the elephant »

This is addressed to people who have OWNED these horns, meaning BOTH one of the HB instruments as well as one of the Adams versions. I know that this is probably such a small pool of people that it may not even exist, but I'm going to ask, all the same…

Is anyone here able to draw direct comparisons between the OG Hirsbrunner HB10 or HB12 F tubas with the modern iteration by Adams (which seems to be an HB10 with a larger bell flare that matches the HB12, along with both leadpipes. or at least a small and large leadpipe)?

I am just curious. I have never had the opportunity to play either HB F tuba except for a few minutes at TMEA about a million years ago. (1988?)

I am only interested in direct comparisons drawn over a long time of usage DUE TO PERSONAL OWNERSHIP.

IDGAF about people with the same or even less experience than I have.

Let's keep it real, Freak Jury. No replies would be a better state than a page filled with stuff I neither want nor need.

Thanks.

If anyone within a day's drive of Mississippi owns one of these two HB piston F tubas and would like to try my Adams while letting me try their HB, It might be an interesting thing to do. I am not looking to buy, sell, or trade, I am just curious about what Adams has done to this design and how it affects how the instrument plays. Perhaps lunch or supper afterward would be fun, too?

the elephant

Re: Any Direct Comparisons of HB10 and Adams F?

Post by the elephant »

Still looking for an HB-10 or HB-12 owner within about ten hours of me who would like to play my Adams in exchange for some face time on their tuba. I'll buy supper…
These users thanked the author the elephant for the post:
jtm (Tue May 28, 2024 8:53 am)
the elephant

Post by the elephant »

Since I have never heard of this man I would not be comfortable contacting him. I would rather not cold-call someone to "invite myself over for tea", so to speak.

And what makes you believe he owns an HB-10? It says nothing about that in his bio.
Eric Murphy
Lee Stofer Music

Post by Eric Murphy »

When I studied with him he had a piston Hirsbrunner F. I'm not sure which model model. He is a great guy. I'm sure he would be willing to work with you.
These users thanked the author Eric Murphy for the post:
the elephant (Tue May 28, 2024 11:04 am)
Band Instrument Repair Technician - Lee Stofer Music
www.tubameister.com
Sousaswag

Post by Sousaswag »

He has an Hb12, I believe. The larger of the two.
Meinl Weston 2165
B&M CC
Willson 3200RZ-5
Holton 340
Pan-American Eb
King Medium Eb
russiantuba

Post by russiantuba »

Fritz Kaenzig I believe had the HB 10, pretty sure Mickey Moore had the HB 12.

Mickey is a great guy. Stellar player with a HUGE sound.
Dr. James M. Green
Lecturer in Music--Ohio Northern University
Adjunct Professor of Music--Ohio Christian University
Gronitz PF 125
Miraphone 1291CC
Miraphone Performing Artist
www.russiantuba.com
MiBrassFS
Has thanked: 0

Post by MiBrassFS »

I’ve played a number both models of HB F. I’ve never played an Adams. So, I really have nothing intelligent to add to this thread except…

FWIW, Mickey is a really good fella. Great wit and wisdom. Long time AJ student. I bet he’d be glad to share his experience with his HB. Our connection is a knowledge of and first hand experiences with Harry Begian of whom Mickey is a big fan.

Mickey once was giving a recital at one of the tuba gathering and “invited” me in a “make sure you’re there” sort of way. And, of course, I missed it because I lost track of time. Every time I saw him for quite a while after I was reminded that I sucked for missing it. His wit in play.

Anyway, he’s kind of an under the radar guy and deserving of more recognition. I’m absolutely not surprised that the elephant was unfamiliar with him. He’s not been out there waving a flag or doing any of the modern means of self promotion.

the elephant

Post by the elephant »

I know who "Mickey" Moore is. but the name "Michael Moore" did not ring a bel at first. I believe he used to occasionally sub into my orchestra many years ago when he was at USM. (The MSO player back then was a local band director named David Mayfield and the orchestra barely paid babysitting money at that time.)

Still looking for someone actively in this community, though.

I am surprised that no one here gets that putting someone into the awkward position of having to say "no" is never cool. It is akin to my walking up to some random house and asking to come in and give their bed a test because some people on the Internet said they own the specific mattress I am looking at buying. If you don't get that, well, we are cut from different cloth, I suppose.

No, no, no, no… :cheers:

Thanks, folks.
MiBrassFS
Has thanked: 0

Post by MiBrassFS »

He taught at U of Southern Mississippi early on, so entirely possible he did sub in your group.

Sorry for the noise. I think folks are just trying to help you wrangle this unicorn. That was my only intent. Cheers!
These users thanked the author MiBrassFS for the post:
the elephant (Thu May 30, 2024 9:24 am)