new to me, 1916 frank holton british style 4v Euphonium

Tubas, euphoniums, mouthpieces, and anything music-related.
Forum rules
This section is for posts that are directly related to performance, performers, or equipment. Social issues are allowed, as long as they are directly related to those categories. If you see a post that you cannot respond to with respect and courtesy, we ask that you do not respond at all.
EmptyCase

new to me, 1916 frank holton british style 4v Euphonium

Post by EmptyCase »

Here's what I know. From the 1915 catalog this is advertised as "The Holton Long Model Mammoth Bore Euphonium." I say its a "british style" horn only because it has the 3+1 orientation, not the front 4 or top 4 like I've seen online. This one is in really good shape, other than being very dirty, tarnished, and stinky. It even had the original mouthpiece. It sat outside under a trailer for 2 years(or so ive been told). It was complete other than the buttons which ive replaced since the following photos(other parts are in that cardboard box.

Lots of rambling, my question is has anyone seen any other examples of this horn in this configuration. Also how rare is something like this. I have no interest in selling, just lots of curiosity.

Also any tips to get rid of the smell, I think its from the mold from the original case(which i promptly took the name badge off to save and then threw in the dump)

HI :smilie7:
Mary Ann

Re: new to me, 1916 frank holton british style 4v Euphonium

Post by Mary Ann »

If it is a mold smell and not a stinky brass smell, ammonia should do it but you'd have to soak it. I don't know how ammonia reacts with brass instruments, but i have seen that technique done in drains to get rid of mold, and drains are metal.
If you have an ozone generator with a hose on it (I do) that also will get rid of the mold smell but must be done outdoors.
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

two basic silver instrument stinkinesses:

- case mold and mildew: agressively brush and vacuum the case interior a lot...set the case (open - interior facing the afternoon sun) out in direct sunlight ...set a dish of vinegar inside the closed case at night.

- silver sulfide: simply polish away the tarnish on the silver plated instrument

When cases are holding together (other than needing to be cleaned, and maybe some gluing) I'm hesitant to discard them, particularly if original to an instrument.
These users thanked the author bloke for the post:
EmptyCase (Thu May 30, 2024 11:25 pm)
EmptyCase

Post by EmptyCase »

bloke wrote: Thu May 30, 2024 1:48 pm two basic silver instrument stinkinesses:

- case mold and mildew: agressively brush and vacuum the case interior a lot...set the case (open - interior facing the afternoon sun) out in direct sunlight ...set a dish of vinegar inside the closed case at night.

- silver sulfide: simply polish away the tarnish on the silver plated instrument

When cases are holding together (other than needing to be cleaned, and maybe some gluing) I'm hesitant to discard them, particularly if original to an instrument.
Now that you mentioned silver sulfide as a possible reason. I’m going to go get the case back out the dumpster and see if it’s salvageable. It was pretty bad when I threw it in there last. When I polished the horn the smell went away. Any ideas how to get that smell out the case?
Mary Ann

Post by Mary Ann »

Once again, ozone will do that but you do need an ozone generator.
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

EmptyCase wrote: Thu May 30, 2024 6:19 pm

Now that you mentioned silver sulfide as a possible reason. I’m going to go get the case back out the dumpster and see if it’s salvageable. It was pretty bad when I threw it in there last. When I polished the horn the smell went away. Any ideas how to get that smell out the case?

I didn't do a good enough job of reviewing eliminating old case odor? See where you quoted me above?
EmptyCase

Post by EmptyCase »

bloke wrote: Thu May 30, 2024 7:16 pm
EmptyCase wrote: Thu May 30, 2024 6:19 pm

I didn't do a good enough job of reviewing eliminating old case odor? See where you quoted me above?
Sorry. I wasn’t clear. I was meaning to ask if that also works if the odor was caused by silver sulfide.

Edit: I now remember why I threw it away. Lots of visible mold, part of the case shell is missing, a good portion of the wood shell was de-laminated and shattered. It was also missing all of the latches lol.
These users thanked the author EmptyCase for the post:
bloke (Thu May 30, 2024 11:02 pm)
EmptyCase

Post by EmptyCase »

for those curious, this is the result.

still has good compression too!
brianf
Has thanked: 0

Post by brianf »

I have a Holton double bell from this era, I believe it was made by York. I have a York B flat and brought it to Lee Stofer. He had an identical Hoton B flat. We searched the horns big time including switching slides and valves between the two horns - They were identical! Remember there was once a partnership call York and Holton.