A physiochemical question

Tubas, euphoniums, mouthpieces, and anything music-related.
Forum rules
This section is for posts that are directly related to performance, performers, or equipment. Social issues are allowed, as long as they are directly related to those categories. If you see a post that you cannot respond to with respect and courtesy, we ask that you do not respond at all.
bloke
Mid South Music

A physiochemical question

Post by bloke »

PB Blaster is an incredibly effective penetrating oil. Yes I know so and so says this or that is much better, but it's really good, so never mind about that.

My question is whether anyone can explain why - when I'm around it, and I'm not making any attempt to get it on my own person (but of course I can smell it) - that my face starts sweating profusely. I don't think it affects me after I get away from it, and I don't feel like I've harmed myself once I get away from it. I'm just wondering if someone could look up the composition of it and see why it might be causing that to happen.

Please make certain that the first dozen responses are jokes or from people who have no idea why this is occurring. In fact, my favorite people of all types of people are armchair physiochemists, and I so much enjoy reading - as well as composing - such responses. If you are an armchair physiochemist, please be one who is peer reviewed. Thank you.

possibly important:
I'm not even spraying it into the air. The propellant quantity/type or something is sh!tty, and they tend to run out of propellant way before they run out of product...So I pierce tiny holes in the bottoms of the cans, store them upside-down, and drip the product out to the surfaces or areas where the product is needed.

MiBrassFS
Has thanked: 0

Re: A physiochemical question

Post by MiBrassFS »

I use PBB. I don’t spray it on stuff. I spray into a needle oiler bottle using a paper towel to contain any spray/splash and apply it that way. I didn’t think this up, someone told me that’s what they do. There’s supposed to be a liquid equivalent, but I can’t remember the details. This works plenty good for me, so I haven’t looked further.

Why are you sweating profusely? Don’t know. I offer this as a possible way around it.
BramJ

Post by BramJ »

https://blasterproducts.com/images/PB-P ... S-2017.pdf

This a direct link to the MSDS (Material Safety Datasheet) for PB Blaster. I didn't read it completely, but it should contain the composition and possible effects and measures to take to use it safely
These users thanked the author BramJ for the post:
bloke (Mon Jun 03, 2024 6:12 am)
Mary Ann

Post by Mary Ann »

Welp, and not said with tongue in cheek, you, my friend, are allergic to it, or in simpler terms, your bod does not like it. Sweat indicates an adrenalin reaction going on if I remember what I read about that.
I bet if you wear an actual respirator (as opposed to "a mask") that has acid/gas/VOC cartridges, you will not sweat.
bloke
Mid South Music

Post by bloke »

Thanks to @BramJ for the link. The only known and listed acute reaction is skin irritation, so I guess that's me. It doesn't leave a rash or have any lasting effect. I think I'll probably try to use it more often in open spaces, but yesterday I was using it in the big open barn - instead of my work room - and dripping it instead of spraying it...
I'd rather my face sweat for 2 or 3 minutes and get excellent results rather than my face not sweat for 2 or 3 minutes and get no results, such as with WD-40 (which seems to be only useful as bug spray).
Ob-La-Di Ob-La-Da. :coffee:
arpthark

Post by arpthark »

Does PB Blaster have an acidic component that other penetrants, like Kroil, lack, which breaks up lime better?

I used to use Kroil, but I've found PB Blaster to be a little more effective with limed-up slides. Granted, I don't work on nearly as much stuff as actual-factual remunerated repairpeople (and instead just do a whole lot of tinkering and messing stuff up).
Last edited by arpthark on Mon Jun 03, 2024 11:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
tubanh84

Post by tubanh84 »

It may be beneficial when working with it to have a fan blowing perpendicular to you. If you're allergic enough that even having small amounts of it in the air around you irritates you, I'd offer that it's worth a shot. Having the fan blowing across you into an open area could significantly reduce the particles in the air.

Having it blow into a wall would do very little good. Obviously. It would just bounce back. And having it behind you would create an eddy and possibly exacerbate the situation. Having it in a closed space would simply move the problem from your work area to another part of your shop. I don't know your workshop setup, but a fan blowing from left to right (or right to left) and then out a window would be ideal.
Three Valves

Post by Three Valves »

I suspect as a child, the PB Blaster showered with you.

This went on to include an age where it was probably inappropriate to do so.

Therefore, just looking at the label causes you to break out.

:coffee:
Thought Criminal
Mack Brass Artiste
TU422L with TU25
1964 Conn 36k with CB Arnold Jacobs
Accent (By B&S) 952R with Bach12
The Fourth Estate is the Fifth Column
shovelingtom

Post by shovelingtom »

Never has happened to me before but I rarely use PB indoors (or if I do I’m in a pretty massive shop space with big fans).

I suspect you have a certain level of sensitivity to some chemical ending in -xylene that’s causing your issue, possibly built up over many years, and that increasing the ventilation in the area where you use it would help with or even eliminate the problem.
dreamofoenghus
Has thanked: 0

Post by dreamofoenghus »

Not a salesman but just throwing this out there…

https://gibbsbrandlubricant.com/product ... spray-can/

This $hit’s good stuff. Maybe it wouldn’t have the same effect? I’m no physiochemist though :red: