mentioned elsewhere, but I'm going to get to do a restoration on an Elkhart Conn 60H tuning in slide bass trombone

Projects, repair topics, and Frankentubas
bloke
Mid South Music

mentioned elsewhere, but I'm going to get to do a restoration on an Elkhart Conn 60H tuning in slide bass trombone

Post by bloke »

... not as extensive as Wade, but I'll do some documentation. This will probably be in August. I've already posted begging someone to sell me an affordable good condition hard case for it. I'll pass the cost on to the owner.

arpthark

Re: mentioned elsewhere, but I'm going to get to do a restoration on an Elkhart Conn 60H tuning in slide bass trombone

Post by arpthark »

I like the verbiage of "get to" vs. "have to.

I wager this may be a little more fulfilling for you than unbuggering a buncha mellophones.
These users thanked the author arpthark for the post:
bloke (Sat Jun 22, 2024 10:36 am)
bloke
Mid South Music

Re: mentioned elsewhere, but I'm going to get to do a restoration on an Elkhart Conn 60H tuning in slide bass trombone

Post by bloke »

"get to"...yeah, worthy of repairing.
...and - unlike so many fancy-priced currently-made bass trombones...These tend to produce beautiful (and not just loud) sounds.

The bell throat has been creased/straightened several times, but no cracks.
The high-copper brass has probably helped, in that regard (less brittle).

interesting challenge:

un-denting (considerable denting) the NO-TUNING-SLIDE back bow of the bell section.

I believe it's probably best to leave it on the instrument...might change my mind, but pro'lly not.

The tuning-in-the-slide playing slide is not wonderful...I've fixed worse.

The bracing at the "tuning-in-the-slide" area (compared to the F.E. Olds/California sturdy-and-predictably-heavy rigging) is very minimally braced, as if rotation/"rolling" could fairly easily occur (which would really temporarily-or-permanently screw up the slide).

I'm thinking back to my virtuoso-level bass trombone older-than-me friend (Remington student) with whom I worked until the mid-1980's...
I'm wondering (??) if I'm remembering that his 73H (two-valve/dependent/yellow brass/smaller bell throat) Elkhart bass trombone was paired up with a 60H/62H playing slide. ...I'll have to ask him. Sadly, they are no longer able to play. (He went through a Holton "Glantz", back to that Conn, and then picked up a PRE-60H/62H Conn 70H (the desirable large-belled one). I converted his enclosed-spring/string-and-saddle linkage to (at that time) up-to-date Conn "bar" lever string linkage on that 70H. The 70H trombones (all: single rotor) were some of the early trombones which featured chrome plating on the inner slide tubes, but ONLY on the stocking areas of those tubes...The rest of those tubes were left as raw nickel silver.

WANDERING OFF-TOPIC (to the predecessor-of-60H/62H) 70H model here are some pic's of a nice old early 50's 70H:

(These were gold brass.)