Couturier Curiosity

Read forum rules before posting.
Forum rules
When making a listing for large or expensive items, please include your budget and location. That will help you match with a seller that might have the item you are looking for
windshieldbug

Re: Couturier Curiosity

Post by windshieldbug »

Just an aside, the patented slides Couturier made were conical on the INSIDE. The OUTSIDES were cylindrical,
The outsides were dual bore, but reversed. In first position the trombone was ALL conical bore.
Extending the slide added a cylindric percentage, but the bore was always increasing.

If it’s tourist season, why can’t we shoot them?
humBell

Post by humBell »

windshieldbug wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 12:37 pm Just an aside, the patented slides Couturier made were conical on the INSIDE. The OUTSIDES were cylindrical,
The outsides were dual bore, but reversed. In first position the trombone was ALL conical bore.
Extending the slide added a cylindric percentage, but the bore was always increasing.
That was my guess as well. Although i haven't thought how to test it, as it likely is very gradual, and it might be possible the inside of the outer slide is conical as well, just still within the tolerances of sliding, with some grease on it, and a good sock what seals the air well?

But yeah, i haven't thought how to measure or verify these speculations, and i also got shown a later era Couturier French Horn with slides, so they did find a way to make slides not effect the sound so much? Or maybe just determined it wasn't worth the trouble?

Anyway, still curious.
"All art is one." -Hal
windshieldbug

Post by windshieldbug »

The outer slides were cylindrical, only the inners were conical.
And after Lyon &Healy bought Couturier they went to dual-bore valve slides as a cost savings.
These users thanked the author windshieldbug for the post:
humBell (Fri Mar 01, 2024 12:06 pm)
If it’s tourist season, why can’t we shoot them?
arpthark

Post by arpthark »

Bump on behalf of the conically curious.
These users thanked the author arpthark for the post (total 2):
pompatus (Mon Jun 24, 2024 11:28 am) • humBell (Wed Jun 26, 2024 11:07 am)
humBell

Post by humBell »

Likewise, although i'm not holding out hope for a BBb tuba. I would try to follow up on a helicon though, if any were out there.
"All art is one." -Hal